Re: Patrick McCaw Declines Qualifying Offer From Warriors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Patrick McCaw Declines Qualifying Offer From Warriors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Oct 2, 2018 12:36 pm

Patrick McCaw declined his one-year, $1.7 million qualifying offer from the Golden State Warriors. McCaw will remain a restricted free agent.

The Warriors offered McCaw a two-year deal paying approximately $5 million with the second year non-guaranteed.

McCaw had a promising rookie season but suffered a serious back injury during the second half of the 17-18 season.

Via Marc J. Spears/ESPN

Hardaway2step
Sophomore
And1: 369

Post#2 » by Hardaway2step » Tue Oct 2, 2018 12:42 pm

Idiot...
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#3 » by Trailbreaker » Tue Oct 2, 2018 1:33 pm

Does he have a better deal elsewhere? If he does then this makes sense.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,969

Post#4 » by Cassius » Tue Oct 2, 2018 2:31 pm

He knows the only way he'll see any non-guaranteed money while getting zero minutes on the Warriors is if he gets traded and completely outplays the contract... and if I'm not mistaken, the team he would be traded to wouldn't have bird rights anyway. Getting waived is his best option and that's probably what he's hoping for.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#5 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Oct 2, 2018 3:00 pm

Im assuming he wants a 3 year deal with a player option for year 3. Would a team with exemption money to spend sign him to a 3 year, $9 million deal?
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#6 » by likashing » Tue Oct 2, 2018 3:33 pm

He is hoping the Warriors would just renounce him and he can go anywhere he wants. Not sure where that “anywhere” is because obviously he didn’t get much interest this summer. Maybe some other GMs played with him and his dad, and told them if he weren’t a RFA they’d offer him $x but they wouldn’t because the Warriors would match, and they believed 100%.

Fact is, even 1st round picks are locked up for 3-4 seasons, he is only a 2nd round pick 2 years in the league with a big regression in year #2, and he is playing FA hardball games like he is a Rich Paul client.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,776

Post#7 » by the_process » Tue Oct 2, 2018 5:35 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:Im assuming he wants a 3 year deal with a player option for year 3. Would a team with exemption money to spend sign him to a 3 year, $9 million deal?

Sixers have an RMLE slot open, I’d give him 2-6 and see what he’s got if the Dubs renounce him. Way more interesting than another year of Jerryd Bayless stealing money.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Re: Patrick McCaw Declines Qualifying Offer From Warriors 

Post#8 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Oct 2, 2018 6:56 pm

Crazy.

But he's got championship experience, a lot of teams would want that.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,120

Post#9 » by Lalouie » Tue Oct 2, 2018 8:10 pm

he probably thinks 1.7 is not enough. players of his ilk should go get as much as they can because their window is small.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 386

Post#10 » by hyberx » Tue Oct 2, 2018 8:29 pm

McCaw has all the physical tools and skill to be an All-Star, if he can add some muscle and stay off injuries (yes same IF for a lot of other players). His game is a bit like Paul Pierce (better defense) or Iguodala. Iggy believes McCaw would eventually replace him on the roster. His injuries (freak accident like one with Vince Carter) and lack of confidence are what prevented him to the next level.

$1.7Mil is like nothing by today's standard. Ws just can't offer much more cap in order to keep our core. Heck, they paid $3.5 mil for a 2nd round 38th draft pick for Jordan Bell. Another team likely would bet more on McCaw for that potential.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 229

Post#11 » by cheese318 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 4:43 am

Cassius wrote:He knows the only way he'll see any non-guaranteed money while getting zero minutes on the Warriors is if he gets traded and completely outplays the contract... and if I'm not mistaken, the team he would be traded to wouldn't have bird rights anyway. Getting waived is his best option and that's probably what he's hoping for.

I agree. Going to a team rebuilding he might actually get some minutes to build his free agent value. After such a scary injury I think as much as he wants to win he wants to find a situation where he can have a valuable rotation spot in the lineup
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:

Return to Wiretap Discussion