Jimmy Butler Reiterates Trade Request In Meeting With Tom Thibodeau

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jimmy Butler Reiterates Trade Request In Meeting With Tom Thibodeau 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Oct 9, 2018 2:58 pm

Jimmy Butler met with Tom Thibodeau on Monday and reiterated his desire to be traded from the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Butler first requested a trade before the start of training camp and has since been away from the team.

The wolves have had trade conversations with a number of teams with the Miami Heat coming closest to a deal.

It remains unclear if Butler will join the team in practice ahead of the season opener on Oct. 17 at San Antonio if he's not traded by then.

While Thibodeau has resisted the initial trade request, Butler has remained resolute of wanting a deal.

Via Shams Charania, Jon Krawczynski/The Athletic

JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Re: Jimmy Butler Reiterates Trade Request In Meeting With Tom Thibodeau 

Post#2 » by JohnPferdelack » Tue Oct 9, 2018 3:01 pm

It's better to fire Thibs first and then trade Butler, isn't it?
spicy6
Starter
And1: 1,841

Post#3 » by spicy6 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 3:52 pm

I hope he ends up playing for them again.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#4 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 4:18 pm

JohnPferdelack wrote:It's better to fire Thibs first and then trade Butler, isn't it?

No. Because Taylor would accept the first deal thrown his way. Let Thibs try and fix this mess.
A new coach would love the lotto pick and talent we have starting next season.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 4:19 pm

spicy6 wrote:I hope he ends up playing for them again.

Not a chance.
Both sides are saying the right things professionally, but they won't bring him into that locker room.
spicy6
Starter
And1: 1,841

Post#6 » by spicy6 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 4:35 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:

Not a chance.
Both sides are saying the right things professionally, but they won't bring him into that locker room.

There is a chance I read somewhere that if no trade happens he wont forfeigt a check and will continue to play. He only has issues with towns and wiggins but im sure hes still close with guys like teague, gibson, deng, dieng, and the coaching staff. Theres been teams that have had inside turmoil and played through it. Recentely the 2015-2016 rockets, 2012-2013 lakers, the mavs team in 2014-2015. If hes not traded he'll play, the problem is he will most assuredly leave unless they make the finals this year with him as the main reason why.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 4:54 pm

spicy6 wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

Not a chance.

There is a chance I read somewhere that if no trade happens he wont forfeigt a check and will continue to play. He only has issues with towns and wiggins but im sure hes still close with guys like teague, gibson, deng, dieng, and the coaching staff. Theres been teams that have had inside turmoil and played through it. Recentely the 2015-2016 rockets, 2012-2013 lakers, the mavs team in 2014-2015. If hes not traded he'll play, the problem is he will most assuredly leave unless they make the finals this year with him as the main reason why.

Yeah he has an issue with the two cornerstones. Towns doesn't want him back and made it clear by waiting to sign his supermax.
They will pay him and look for a trade, while he rehabs his hand. (Wink Wink)
Red Star
Pro Prospect
And1: 264

Post#8 » by Red Star » Tue Oct 9, 2018 5:04 pm

Stop the madness!! Bring him home!! Raps in 4!!
BROTHERHOOD + UNITY = TORONTO RAPTORS
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#9 » by likashing » Tue Oct 9, 2018 5:45 pm

Be a man Jimmy. Don't be a crying baby to make the last penny.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#10 » by colaroaster » Tue Oct 9, 2018 6:01 pm

butlers value drops every day - too bad he can't get along with his colleagues
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#11 » by Hoopzilla » Tue Oct 9, 2018 8:00 pm

I am sure Butler feels like he is talking to a wall when he speaks with Thibodeau. This has to be the third time he has met with him and told him he wants out. Then a week or two later, Thibodeau calls him in and says "let's work this out". If I were Jimmy, I hope this time he walked in and said "muthaf*cka are you deaf or stupid? Those are your only two choices, cuz I am done repeating myself here". Next time he should bring in a translator and someone who can do sign language and just say "this is the last time, which one of them do you need to help get it through your head?"

I get the impression Thibodeau is like that girl you dumped in high school that just wouldn't take the hint and move on; she just wants to beat the dead horse try to drag it on and on.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:43 am

Hoopzilla wrote:I am sure Butler feels like he is talking to a wall when he speaks with Thibodeau. This has to be the third time he has met with him and told him he wants out. Then a week or two later, Thibodeau calls him in and says "let's work this out". If I were Jimmy, I hope this time he walked in and said "muthaf*cka are you deaf or stupid? Those are your only two choices, cuz I am done repeating myself here". Next time he should bring in a translator and someone who can do sign language and just say "this is the last time, which one of them do you need to help get it through your head?"

I get the impression Thibodeau is like that girl you dumped in high school that just wouldn't take the hint and move on; she just wants to beat the dead horse try to drag it on and on.

Why do you think the Wolves have to trade Butler because he requested it? There is no obligation to do so.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#13 » by Hoopzilla » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:30 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:I am sure Butler feels like he is talking to a wall when he speaks with Thibodeau. This has to be the third time he has met with him and told him he wants out. Then a week or two later, Thibodeau calls him in and says "let's work this out". If I were Jimmy, I hope this time he walked in and said "muthaf*cka are you deaf or stupid? Those are your only two choices, cuz I am done repeating myself here". Next time he should bring in a translator and someone who can do sign language and just say "this is the last time, which one of them do you need to help get it through your head?"

Why do you think the Wolves have to trade Butler because he requested it? There is no obligation to do so.

The Wolves can hold onto to Butler and let him expire at the end of the season for all I care. My point is... Butler has already told Thibodeau he wants out at least three times now, because Thibodeau has called him in at least twice since his original trade request to see if they can work it out. Stop asking and get the whole "I can make it work" crap out of his head.

Also, please point out where I stated that Butler was demanding to be traded, I clearly only stated that Jimmy has to be sick of repeating his desires over and over, his position obviously is not changing. Continuing to ask is dumb. I never said they had an obligation to trade him. :crazy:
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#14 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:15 am

Hoopzilla wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

The Wolves can hold onto to Butler and let him expire at the end of the season for all I care. My point is... Butler has already told Thibodeau he wants out at least three times now, because Thibodeau has called him in at least twice since his original trade request to see if they can work it out. Stop asking and get the whole "I can make it work" crap out of his head.

Also, please point out where I stated that Butler was demanding to be traded, I clearly only stated that Jimmy has to be sick of repeating his desires over and over, his position obviously is not changing. Continuing to ask is dumb. I never said they had an obligation to trade him. :crazy:

Fair enough. Butler has no right to be upset with the Wolves for not trading him if indeed we don't. He is under contract and should honor his contract. I believe he will. Next year if the Wolves aren't idiots they will offer Butler a five year max for $190 million. Butler can choose to accept that or go for a 4 year $141 million deal from somebody else. Time will tell what he does.

Return to Wiretap Discussion