Wolves Rejected Josh Richardson, Protected Pick For Jimmy Butler

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Wolves Rejected Josh Richardson, Protected Pick For Jimmy Butler 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Oct 9, 2018 10:11 pm

The Minnesota Timberwolves declined to accept a trade offer from the Miami Heat for Jimmy Butler that was centered on Josh Richardson and a protected first round pick.

With Butler requesting a trade, the trade package offered by Miami is considered very competitive.

Numerous teams have complained in recent days that Tom Thibodeau and Scott Layden are acting like they really don’t want to make a deal.

But Glen Taylor reportedly has balked at moving forward with the trade with the Heat.

Via Marc Stein/New York Times

koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Re: Wolves Rejected Josh Richardson, Protected Pick For Jimmy Butler 

Post#2 » by koogiking » Tue Oct 9, 2018 11:25 pm

Thats a rip off deal. Not even Bam Adebayo included lol

Also a protected pick. They might as well keep him. Even the owner turned it down, Pat rileys overplaying his hand
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#3 » by NatiboyB » Tue Oct 9, 2018 11:53 pm

I would of turned it down also. If you want a player of Butlers caliber offer a little bit more or just sign him during free agency.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#4 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 11:58 pm

I wouldn't take this story as face value.

This story could have been leaked by the Wolves to save face with their fans on why a deal wasn't made, looking as though the offer they rejected was a bad deal. Or maybe this was leaked as a message to Jimmy Butler and his camp to show that the Heat weren't putting a reasonable offer on the table and they were offering chump change for him.
Why so serious?
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#5 » by NBAFan93 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:02 am

Obviously that wasn’t all there was to the trade cause Jimmy makes twice what Richardson makes. Isn’t the rule at least 75%? There had to be other players involved and maybe Minny didn’t like those terms.

Also, we don’t know how protected the pick was - if it is something like top 20 protected, that’s not much of a pick.

Not sure the article should call the deal “very competitive” without spelling out the entire deal.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#6 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:53 am

Nice, time for Wigs and Towries to bust their chops.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#7 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:59 am

NBAFan93 wrote:Obviously that wasn’t all there was to the trade cause Jimmy makes twice what Richardson makes. Isn’t the rule at least 75%? There had to be other players involved and maybe Minny didn’t like those terms.

Also, we don’t know how protected the pick was - if it is something like top 20 protected, that’s not much of a pick.

Not sure the article should call the deal “very competitive” without spelling out the entire deal.

The speculation is that the Heat were trying to dump Waiters on us. Obviously they weren't seriously trying to get Butler. That writer is a hack for making conclusions without knowing all of the deal.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#8 » by Killboard » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:08 am

NBAFan93 wrote:Obviously that wasn’t all there was to the trade cause Jimmy makes twice what Richardson makes. Isn’t the rule at least 75%? There had to be other players involved and maybe Minny didn’t like those terms.

Yeap, but is more like 5% or 10% of the salaries can differ, definetly is more in there. James Johnson, Olynkyk or Waiters match. The heat probably wants min to take waiters and the wolves probably wants to unload Dieng if that happens. The pick was going to be in the high 20 anyway, since Miami would have Butler in a weak eastern conference.

I would do it with Olynyk instead of Waiters, or add Taj expiring to Jimmy for Tyler Johnson(or Dragic), Richardson and BAM, so they can extend jimmy without go deep in the luxury tax next season.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,645

Post#9 » by shrink » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:39 am

I had to roll my eyes yesterday when yet another another Heat leaker said, " they wanted our firstborn children!"

The truth is, compared to most teams, the Heat's firstborn children (Richardson and Bam) aren't good enough to be other teams' firstborn. Stars, and youth that may become stars have true trade value. When you consider lottery picks next year, the Heat don't have a top 50 asset to offer, so it's not surprising any team would want more. Plus the Heat want to dump a bad contract on top of it?

I'm sure there is some dysfunction on the Wolves' side, but blaming the Wolves for turning down this offer is not dysfunctional. Strange that all the stories keep getting spun that way, huh?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#10 » by cheese318 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:17 am

koogiking wrote:Thats a rip off deal. Not even Bam Adebayo included lol

Also a protected pick. They might as well keep him. Even the owner turned it down, Pat rileys overplaying his hand

MIN is putting pressure on the MIA FO to up the offer to complete the trade. How is Bam Adebayo being held up plus let go of the draft pick as you are going to make playoffs this year anyways with Jimmy Butler for the whole season. I’d love to see a surprise team come out of nowhere. What would the LAL have to offer? Obviously KCP would be included but what else would have to be offered. Only issue I see is LAL might prefer other free agents next offseason over Jimmy Butler.
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#11 » by likashing » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:23 am

How dare they not trade Jimmy to a team he wants so he can get the 5 year max on his new team next summer.

Be a man Jimmy. Shut up and play. Don’t be a pussy.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#12 » by Furinkazan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:44 am

yeah teams complaining Wolves dont want to give up Jimmy for a bag of peanuts and bad contracts?cry me a river
RaptorHusky
Veteran
And1: 4,876

Post#13 » by RaptorHusky » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:50 am

Furinkazan wrote:yeah teams complaining Wolves dont want to give up Jimmy for a bag of peanuts and bad contracts?cry me a river

Turn it otherwise - teams do not want giving more than bag of peanuts for a potential locker room cancer
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#14 » by Furinkazan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:38 am

RaptorHusky wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:yeah teams complaining Wolves dont want to give up Jimmy for a bag of peanuts and bad contracts?cry me a river

Turn it otherwise - teams do not want giving more than bag of peanuts for a potential locker room cancer

You are trying to spin it like teams are doing Wolves a big favour just by talking to them and bad wolves arent gratefull for that.
If teams are interested then they should make a good offer if they arent interested they should f off and not cry in medias that they cant get him without giving up assets.
problem solved
ty
next
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#15 » by Scalabrine » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Josh Richardson is a very quality role player but he's not an All-Star level talent.

Jimmy Butler is a Top 15 player.

I get the situation, and the Wolves aren't going to get back a similar return, but they are right for not taking that package.

A deal that I see fair for Miami and Minnesota is:

Jimmy Butler and Gorgui Dieng for Josh Richardson, James Johnson, Dion Waiters and 2019 First Round Pick (Top 5 protected)

Miami Heat Depth Chart:
Whiteside/Olynyk/Bam
Winslow/Dieng
Butler/McGruder
Wade/Ellington
Dragic/Johnson

Heat will jump up to near the top of the East so the FRP would likely be in the 20s. Butler fits into that team beautifully. They give up some really nice role players but I think they have more value on the Heat then they do elsewhere.

Minnesota Timberwolves Depth Chart
Towns/Gibson
Johnson/Tolliver
Wiggins/Bates-Diop/Deng
Richardson/Waiters/Okogi
Teague/Rose/Jones

They get 3 complimentary guys that fit the win now agenda that Thibs in exchange for a guy that doesn't want to be there. Johnson and Richardson are absolutely Thibs types of players and I think he'd get the most out of Waiters as well.
Go Knicks!
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#16 » by Scalabrine » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Still not sure why the Kings aren't making the most sense as a destination here...
Go Knicks!
Killboard
Analyst

Post#17 » by Killboard » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Scalabrine wrote:Josh Richardson is a very quality role player but he's not an All-Star level talent.

I get the situation, and the Wolves aren't going to get back a similar return, but they are right for not taking that package.

Jimmy Butler and Gorgui Dieng for Josh Richardson, James Johnson, Dion Waiters and 2019 First Round Pick (Top 5 protected)

Miami Heat Depth Chart:
Whiteside/Olynyk/Bam
Winslow/Dieng
Butler/McGruder
Wade/Ellington
Dragic/Johnson

Heat will jump up to near the top of the East so the FRP would likely be in the 20s. Butler fits into that team beautifully. They give up some really nice role players but I think they have more value on the Heat then they do elsewhere.

Towns/Gibson
Johnson/Tolliver
Wiggins/Bates-Diop/Deng
Richardson/Waiters/Okogie
Teague/Rose/Jones

They get 3 complimentary guys that fit the win now agenda that Thibs in exchange for a guy that doesn't want to be there. Johnson and Richardson are absolutely Thibs types of players and I think he'd get the most out of Waiters as well.

Thibodeu hates Johnson from his past in the Bulls. He make sense with the roster though, but Olynkyk is boh younger and better fit since he can really shoot. I would take the deal for Richardson and Olynyk without a pick, wich would be similar to Dipo/Sabonis or Derozan/Poetl.

I dont know why include both Dieng and Waiters. Personally I would keep Dieng, at least he is a more likeable character, and wasnt bad by RPM/BPM when he saw extended minutes as starter. Waiters contract is pretty much the same so I dont see why someone would be interested in a swap.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#18 » by Scalabrine » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Killboard wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:Josh Richardson is a very quality role player but he's not an All-Star level talent.

Miami Heat Depth Chart:
Whiteside/Olynyk/Bam
Winslow/Dieng
Butler/McGruder
Wade/Ellington
Dragic/Johnson

Towns/Gibson
Johnson/Tolliver
Wiggins/Bates-Diop/Deng
Teague/Rose/Jones

Thibodeu hates Johnson from his past in the Bulls. He make sense with the roster though, but Olynkyk is boh younger and better fit since he can really shoot. I would take the deal for Richardson and Olynyk without a pick, wich would be similar to Dipo/Sabonis or Derozan/Poetl.

I dont know why include both Dieng and Waiters. Personally I would keep Dieng, at least he is a more likeable character, and wasnt bad by RPM/BPM when he saw extended minutes as starter. Waiters contract is pretty much the same so I dont see why someone would be interested in a swap.

Richardson is not on the same level as Oladipo or Derozan and Olynyk is not a prospect like Poetl or Sabonis, he's 27 years old. Sabonis was 21 when he was traded and Poetl 22. Richardson and Olynyk are both good players, but not on the same level as any of those guys, I feel like the first rounder compensates for that difference.

Richardson is 25 and averaged 13p/3.5r/3a last year on 53eFG% and 55TS%. He's a stellar defensive player and very active but he's not a franchise altering player. His contract is very reasonable so he has that gong for him.

Oladipo was coming off a down year in OKC and still put up better numbers. His contract was looked at as bad then but now it's actually quite valuable compared to his non-rookie contract peers. He was 5 years younger then Jimmy Butler is now so that tips the needle back a little bit but really not enough if you ask me.

Richardson and Olynyk with no pick for Jimmy Butler is an absolute steal. I get why the Wolves say no.
Go Knicks!
Killboard
Analyst

Post#19 » by Killboard » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:41 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Killboard wrote:

Miami Heat Depth Chart:
Whiteside/Olynyk/Bam
Winslow/Dieng
Butler/McGruder
Wade/Ellington
Dragic/Johnson

Towns/Gibson
Johnson/Tolliver
Wiggins/Bates-Diop/Deng
Teague/Rose/Jones

Richardson is not on the same level as Oladipo or Derozan and Olynyk is not a prospect like Poetl or Sabonis, he's 27 years old. Sabonis was 21 when he was traded and Poetl 22. Richardson and Olynyk are both good players, but not on the same level as any of those guys, I feel like the first rounder compensates for that difference.

Richardson is 25 and averaged 13p/3.5r/3a last year on 53eFG% and 55TS%. He's a stellar defensive player and very active but he's not a franchise altering player. His contract is very reasonable so he has that gong for him.

Oladipo was coming off a down year in OKC and still put up better numbers. His contract was looked at as bad then but now it's actually quite valuable compared to his non-rookie contract peers. He was 5 years younger then Jimmy Butler is now so that tips the needle back a little bit but really not enough if you ask me.

Richardson and Olynyk with no pick for Jimmy Butler is an absolute steal. I get why the Wolves say no.

Compare per100 stats
https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Victor+Oladipo&player_id1_select=Victor+Oladipo&y1=2017&player_id1=oladivi01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Josh+Richardson&player_id2_select=Josh+Richardson&y2=2018&player_id2=richajo01&idx=players

If you take into account Richarson has a better contract than Dipo, Olynyk age evens out. He is older and not in rookie scale anymore, but I dont think Poeltl or Sabonis will be ending being all stars.

Being a Wolves fan and considering the timeline I would do it even without a pick, but I wont say no.
GuessWhoNot
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#20 » by GuessWhoNot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:44 pm

I'm sorry, but I don't think a Heat-Wolves trade involving Butler is gonna work. Nothing adds up for either team. There are too many Heat assets that the Heat won't give up and assets the Wolves don't want put together.

Return to Wiretap Discussion