Jimmy Butler Calls Players-Only Meeting, Tells Teammates He's Prepared To Play With Them

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Jimmy Butler Calls Players-Only Meeting, Tells Teammates He's Prepared To Play With Them 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Jimmy Butler called a players-only meeting with the Minnesota Timberwolves on Thursday.

Butler expressed his feelings toward his situation and about management as he continues to remain in limbo after his trade request.

Butler expressed to his teammates that he would complete with them as signs point to him remaining with the Wolves as the regular season begins.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

smallgains
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,369

Re: Jimmy Butler Calls Players-Only Meeting, Tells Teammates He's Prepared To Play With Them 

Post#2 » by smallgains » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Well now....that's embarrassing.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Jimmy Butler Calls Players-Only Meeting, Tells Teammates He's Prepared To Play With Them 

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:06 pm

Canceled practice! ~lol~

Would love to hear more of what he said and response from Wigs and Towries.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,188

Post#4 » by kenwood3333 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Wonder if Town will back out from his max contract now...
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#5 » by cheese318 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:22 pm

This will be interesting. It could be a positive for the team coming together somehow after all this noise the last three weeks. Or it could show signs of anything goes which Thibs does not want to promote. If the goal was to have Butler stay for the season Thibs was able to figure out a way to make that happen
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,885

Post#6 » by jschligs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Wasn't a players only meeting according to Teague.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,804

Post#7 » by spree2kawhi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:00 pm

This is awkward.
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#8 » by Durant Durant » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 pm

he needs to calm down. lol. cringe-fest
No no yes yes
CJTURT
Veteran
And1: 928

Post#9 » by CJTURT » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Who does this guy think he is lol.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#10 » by IWishIWasHarden » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:17 pm

How's that ego going Jimmy? You're better than a couple of kids. Isn't that special. Wait until they're your age and you'll be 3rd best.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,429

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:24 pm

It would be hilarious if KAT asks for a trade.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,491

Post#12 » by The Laker Kid » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 pm

That’s all that Spurs had to do
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,426

Post#13 » by mtcan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:04 pm

The Laker Kid wrote:That’s all that Spurs had to do

I would have loved to see how Kawhi has a temper tantrum and calls out LaMarcus Aldridge and Popp
iliyanvs
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#14 » by iliyanvs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:15 pm

mtcan wrote:

I would have loved to see how Kawhi has a temper tantrum and calls out LaMarcus Aldridge and Popp

Hahaha, Kawhi wont live till the end of his contract in this case. Imagine LaMarcus doing some horrible things to him while Popp goves instructions.
iliyanvs
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#15 » by iliyanvs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:15 pm

iliyanvs wrote:
mtcan wrote:

Hahaha, Kawhi wont live till the end of his contract in this case. Imagine LaMarcus doing some horrible things to him while Popp gives instructions.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 639

Post#16 » by Pipp33 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:17 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:How's that ego going Jimmy? You're better than a couple of kids. Isn't that special. Wait until they're your age and you'll be 3rd best.

I'm not Jimmy's biggest fan, but on current growth, Wiggins will never be better than Butler and Towns also need to start working harder too.

I don't agree with everything Butler's done in this offseason, but there is things that he is saying to these players that they need to hear, so hopefully some of it sinks in.
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#17 » by cheese318 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:18 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:It would be hilarious if KAT asks for a trade.

That would make me laugh. Butler actually helps this team become better. Towns really should realize this and if he truly wants to win he can learn something from this whole situation and try to grow as a team from this. Butlers value can increase if he stays put and they win some games with him to start which will increase the return for KAT to play with. Personally I wouldn’t resign Jimmy Butler at this point so my angle is build the value and at some point find a team that is willing to give up more than Josh Richardson who I believe is a solid player but no nearly on the level of Jimmy Butler. Plus he is already 25/26 so it’s not like he’s fresh out of college. What if they could get Josh Jackson for Jimmy Butler. Would PHX even consider that option? They already have TJ Warren & Devin Booker so maybe it’s a log jam. I just think Jimmy Butler would be a major addition to that lineup. Josh Jackson would be a major coup for MIN. If not Jackson would PHX consider offering TJ Warren for Jimmy Butler? It is really preference of who you would prefer longterm.
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#18 » by johanliebert » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:54 pm

jschligs wrote:Wasn't a players only meeting according to Teague.

yea i'll take teague's word. he has no reason to lie IMO his name is rarely mentioned in this soap opera.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#19 » by Fresh360Waves » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:13 pm

cheese318 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:It would be hilarious if KAT asks for a trade.

That would make me laugh. Butler actually helps this team become better. Towns really should realize this and if he truly wants to win he can learn something from this whole situation and try to grow as a team from this. Butlers value can increase if he stays put and they win some games with him to start which will increase the return for KAT to play with. Personally I wouldn’t resign Jimmy Butler at this point so my angle is build the value and at some point find a team that is willing to give up more than Josh Richardson who I believe is a solid player but no nearly on the level of Jimmy Butler. Plus he is already 25/26 so it’s not like he’s fresh out of college. What if they could get Josh Jackson for Jimmy Butler. Would PHX even consider that option? They already have TJ Warren & Devin Booker so maybe it’s a log jam. I just think Jimmy Butler would be a major addition to that lineup. Josh Jackson would be a major coup for MIN. If not Jackson would PHX consider offering TJ Warren for Jimmy Butler? It is really preference of who you would prefer longterm.

I'm sure Phoenix could trade Warren to a 3rd team. A lot of teams would be willing to take Warren due to his scoring. But Butler, Ayton, Booker plus Melton who is supposed to be really good.. they may have something there.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,619

Post#20 » by OdomFan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:18 am

wow at this board. Player only meeting or not the guys showed up and they talked it out yet people on here are questioning who Jimmy thinks he is.

The dude is a veteran leader, what do you want him to do? just play the game accept that others don't want to win as much as he does? Just ridiculous.

Return to Wiretap Discussion