G League To Offer $125k Salaries To Elite High School Prospects

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 149

G League To Offer $125k Salaries To Elite High School Prospects 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:15 pm

The G League is creating a new venture as an alternative to the current one-and-done route for the best American basketball prospects.

As part of a newly formed "professional path" starting in the summer of 2019, the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft.

The rule will target recent or would-be high school graduates who would otherwise likely spend just one season playing college basketball. They will receive a six-figure salary and benefit from the NBA's infrastructure. 

Without the restrictions of the NCAA's amateurism rules, players will also be free to hire agents, profit off their likeness and pursue marketing deals from sneaker companies.

While changes to the NBA's age limit likely won't be implemented until the 2022 draft, the league considers this an immediate response.

Via Jonathan Givony/ESPN

RickB-Orlando
Analyst
And1: 1,243

Re: G League To Offer $125k Salaries To Elite High School Prospects 

Post#2 » by RickB-Orlando » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:35 pm

I'm not sure I see this as a good thing. I'm sure many will be in favor of it, but I can only imagine the process by which they decide eligibility - "Players who likely will be one and done" - is pretty vague and open to very subjective interpretation.
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#3 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:40 pm

I love this idea. College Basketball is dead to me. Had been or a while. Thanks NCAA.
PHXCavaliers
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#4 » by PHXCavaliers » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:44 pm

RickB-Orlando wrote:I'm not sure I see this as a good thing. I'm sure many will be in favor of it, but I can only imagine the process by which they decide eligibility - "Players who likely will be one and done" - is pretty vague and open to very subjective interpretation.

Just like any job interview process is........ they will offer a "Select" few to players who are at that level.... its not rocket science to understand that the interpretation would be up to the potential employer, in this case the G League team

Your comment makes no sense, and may god have mercy on your soul
Scoonie
Senior
And1: 560

Post#5 » by Scoonie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:47 pm

Wow, this will really kill a lot of the appeal of college basketball. Very few elite prospects will bother to play in college going forward.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Chi Dynasty12
Veteran
And1: 53

Post#6 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:55 pm

The NCAA had a ton of time to implement a similar concept, but remained greedy and now their product will suffer. Great strategy from the NBA that will benefit both the association and young prospects.
Epstein / Hoyer 2016
MartinsIzAfraud
Sixth Man
And1: 1,303

Post#7 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:03 pm

the going rate for a top player just went up. College Bagmen can't be happy with this..
LONG LENGTHY ATHLETIC... CAN’T SHOOT
HotelVitale
Head Coach
And1: 3,214

Post#8 » by HotelVitale » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:10 pm

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:The NCAA had a ton of time to implement a similar concept, but remained greedy and now their product will suffer. Great strategy from the NBA that will benefit both the association and young prospects.

I think the NCAA was never remotely close to considering paying players, they decided long ago that it's in their interest to go all in on the 'amateur' narrative. I don't think they're wrong either (even though the amateur stuff is BS): some of us who are primarily NBA fans might pay less attention w/o as many big-time pro prospects but college basketball is already a massively inferior product and people flock to it. That audience seems like it's going to stick around out of habit and loyalty, wouldn't care if the best 500 players in college disappeared tomorrow. It'll hurt them with some fans not to have those future stars around, but it would've also hurt them with others to have some confusing tier system in which some players get paid for some sports and others not.
Abdul-McFar
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#9 » by Abdul-McFar » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:43 pm

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:The NCAA had a ton of time to implement a similar concept, but remained greedy and now their product will suffer. Great strategy from the NBA that will benefit both the association and young prospects.

I get the feeling that some recruits are given a lot more than this already, or similar amounts and it's unreported and not taxed money. $125 is a good start I guess though.
MegaK
Senior
And1: 74

Post#10 » by MegaK » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:17 pm

They doing this for Lebron James JR. They see him as the next face of the NBA when he becomes 18. They are also trying to create a situation where Junior can play with Senior on the Lakers to increase viewership and advertisement interest. I see what you're doing here NBA. Also I wish the NCAA would've done this, college basketball is going to be less exciting without these one and dones. Would've been a way for the NCAA to start changing its Greedy image.
MegaK
Senior

Post#11 » by MegaK » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Yo Adam Silver has Pedophile face.
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#12 » by IAMZOOTED » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:21 pm

MegaK wrote:They doing this for Lebron James JR. They see him as the next face of the NBA when he becomes 18. They are also trying to create a situation where Junior can play with Senior on the Lakers to increase viewership and advertisement interest. I see what you're doing here NBA. Also I wish the NCAA would've done this, college basketball is going to be less exciting without these one and dones. Would've been a way for the NCAA to start changing its Greedy image.

It’s definitely for LBJ JR. He needs that $125k, it’s not like his dad is rich
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
mplsfonz23
Sixth Man
And1: 556

Post#13 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:39 pm

I'm sure this will hurt some of the bigger schools, but how many one and done's can there be?

This is going to Kill Lavar Ball's league. He was only getting kids because they didn't want to go to school, that's changed now. Who wants to put up with his favoritism? I bet he comes out somewhere and takes credit for it all. He may sue. :roll:
MegaK
Senior

Post#14 » by MegaK » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:40 pm

IAMZOOTED wrote:
MegaK wrote:They doing this for Lebron James JR. They see him as the next face of the NBA when he becomes 18. They are also trying to create a situation where Junior can play with Senior on the Lakers to increase viewership and advertisement interest. I see what you're doing here NBA. Also I wish the NCAA would've done this, college basketball is going to be less exciting without these one and dones. Would've been a way for the NCAA to start changing its Greedy image.

Talking about age limit not the money smartie.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,500

Post#15 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Too bad for guys like Darius Bazley it's not implemented sooner.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,500

Post#16 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:42 pm

HotelVitale wrote:

I think the NCAA was never remotely close to considering paying players, they decided long ago that it's in their interest to go all in on the 'amateur' narrative. I don't think they're wrong either (even though the amateur stuff is BS): some of us who are primarily NBA fans might pay less attention w/o as many big-time pro prospects but college basketball is already a massively inferior product and people flock to it. That audience seems like it's going to stick around out of habit and loyalty, wouldn't care if the best 500 players in college disappeared tomorrow. It'll hurt them with some fans not to have those future stars around, but it would've also hurt them with others to have some confusing tier system in which some players get paid for some sports and others not.

Agreed. NCAA fans prefer the chaos and the players being more like themselves. If it's about being good players, they would have been watching the NBA long ago.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
HotelVitale
Head Coach
And1: 3,214

Post#17 » by HotelVitale » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:17 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote: Agreed. NCAA fans prefer the chaos and the players being more like themselves. If it's about being good players, they would have been watching the NBA long ago.

It's funny--I don't hang out with a lot of bball watchers but some friends (incl my gf) have been hopping on the Sixers bandwagon lately so most of the ball they've watched is a pretty good NBA team. When I watched some March Madness last year with them, they were all like 'what the hell is this awful travesty of a basketball game?' Players just aren't nearly as good, and the game often looks more like a really serious one at the Y than a NBA one.
LibertyPrime
Sixth Man
And1: 1,135

Post#18 » by LibertyPrime » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:13 pm

The NCAA really had this coming.
"The last domino falls here!"
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#19 » by IAMZOOTED » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:43 pm

MegaK wrote:
IAMZOOTED wrote:

You really believe it’s that important to the NBA that he gets to the league one year earlier?
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
Vegeta10176
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#20 » by Vegeta10176 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:21 am

IAMZOOTED wrote:
MegaK wrote:
IAMZOOTED wrote:

You really believe it’s that important to the NBA that he gets to the league one year earlier?

The league ain't caring about LBJ jr.. He ain't ganna be LBJ and by that time AD will easily be the best player in the league along with Kwahi..

Return to Wiretap Discussion