Michele Roberts Anticipates Possible Unionization Of G League Players

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 149

Michele Roberts Anticipates Possible Unionization Of G League Players 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:05 pm

Michele Roberts reacted to an announcement from the NBA that the G League will have "Special Contracts" available for top prep stars who wish to forego college and make $125,000 for one season in the G League. The goal of the plan is to offer an alternate path for prospects who would rather not to go college before the one-and-done rule is eliminated, which will likely be by 2022.

“Everybody wants to stay at home. That’s natural instinct,” National Basketball Players Association executive director Michele Roberts told Yahoo Sports. “Going overseas is lonely. The G League, at least historically, has been a more profitable option … most of the time, guys are making more money, having access to family and friends.”

Roberts wasn't involved in the union when the one-and-done rule was enacted.

“I don’t know how many slots we’re talking about [for elite G League players with special contracts], I don’t know what additional conditions are attached to it,” Roberts said. “This is not something we’ve [the NBPA] negotiated. [The prospects] are not members of the union. I have more questions about that contract. The six figures will get some guys’ attention.”

Roberts told Yahoo Sports that unionization of G League players could be on the horizon.

Via Vincent Goodwill/Yahoo! Sports

The_Hater
RealGM
And1: 16,242

Re: Michele Roberts Anticipates Possible Unionization Of G League Players 

Post#2 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:46 am

So Michelle Roberts is trying to kill the G league? The league average attendance is 1200 fans per game.
I don't want to say we're dysfunctional. But we need to be more functional.
UtahJazzFan88
Analyst
And1: 1,830

Post#3 » by UtahJazzFan88 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:15 am

The_Hater wrote:So Michelle Roberts is trying to kill the G league? The league average attendance is 1200 fans per game.

Where is your number 1200 coming from? I'm not questioning that attendance could be better, but I'd say it's more around 2000-2500 or so on average from looking at most teams attendance numbers.
The_Hater
RealGM
And1: 16,242

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:47 am

UtahJazzFan88 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:So Michelle Roberts is trying to kill the G league? The league average attendance is 1200 fans per game.

Where is your number 1200 coming from? I'm not questioning that attendance could be better, but I'd say it's more around 2000-2500 or so on average from looking at most teams attendance numbers.

You’re right, the average was 2400. Bad math on my part as I failed to account that half of every teams games are played on the road.
I don't want to say we're dysfunctional. But we need to be more functional.

Return to Wiretap Discussion