Draymond Green Trying To Win Defensive Player Of The Year

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Draymond Green Trying To Win Defensive Player Of The Year 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Nov 1, 2018 4:03 pm

Draymond Green is making Defensive Player of the Year one of his big goals this season. Green previously won the award in 2017.

"I need that," Green said Wednesday night after the Golden State Warriors' 131-121 win over the New Orleans Pelicans. "I need that bad. Real bad. I made second team all-defense last year. I'm pissed about that still. I'll be pissed until I right that, so that's a serious goal of mine this year. And I'm on it every night."

Green also has a potential financial incentive for winning Defensive Player of the Year.

As ESPN's Bobby Marks pointed out recently, "Green would be eligible for a five-year, $235 million extension that would start in 2020. Keep in mind that because of Stephen Curry's contract, Golden State can sign only one more player to a super max."

Via Nick Friedell/ESPN

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,267

Re: Draymond Green Trying To Win Defensive Player Of The Year 

Post#2 » by Dan Z » Thu Nov 1, 2018 4:27 pm

Draymond with a 5 year 235 million dollar deal. Why does that sound like a bad idea?
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,200

Post#3 » by antonac » Thu Nov 1, 2018 4:55 pm

I love Draymond, he's a great player and an amazing competitor.

but man, signing a 30-year old Green to a $235m, I'd pass.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#4 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Nov 1, 2018 5:05 pm

I'm sure that giving up 130 points per night will endear Draymond to the DPoY voters. That, or his charming demeanor.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,641

Post#5 » by OdomFan » Thu Nov 1, 2018 5:24 pm

I highly doubt he gets it as long as Cousins is out there next to him.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,768

Post#6 » by the_process » Thu Nov 1, 2018 5:27 pm

Yeah, it's not about defense. Draymond's mind is on his money and his money is on his mind. He knows he's not making an All-NBA team.

I wonder if this is it for the GSW.
Soulcatcher33
Veteran
And1: 2,758

Post#7 » by Soulcatcher33 » Thu Nov 1, 2018 5:29 pm

Draymond has zero chance in hell of receiving a super max deal so him being eligible doesn't matter anyway.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#8 » by colaroaster » Thu Nov 1, 2018 5:47 pm

career avg: 9 pts 7 rebs 4 asst 1 block
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#9 » by likashing » Thu Nov 1, 2018 6:09 pm

The most another team can pay him in the summer of 2020 is only roughly $150m/4. Unless he goes all Jimmy Butler, it doesn't look like he can demand $235m/5 from the Warriors even if he wins DPOY.

Of course Bobby won't mention the $150m/4 number because he wants the $235m/5 click bait.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,267

Post#10 » by Dan Z » Thu Nov 1, 2018 7:22 pm

likashing wrote:The most another team can pay him in the summer of 2020 is only roughly $150m/4. Unless he goes all Jimmy Butler, it doesn't look like he can demand $235m/5 from the Warriors even if he wins DPOY.

Of course Bobby won't mention the $150m/4 number because he wants the $235m/5 click bait.

I wouldn't pay him either of those contracts. 4 years at $150 million is still too much.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#11 » by HiRez » Thu Nov 1, 2018 7:29 pm

It’s worth pointing out that Draymond said nothing about money or contracts with regards to this. People are acting like he’s demanding a max contract and at least right now, he is not (the Warriors can not and would not pay that anyway).
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#12 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Nov 1, 2018 7:43 pm

0.8bpg so far, needs to work harder
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#13 » by cheese318 » Thu Nov 1, 2018 7:49 pm

HiRez wrote:It’s worth pointing out that Draymond said nothing about money or contracts with regards to this. People are acting like he’s demanding a max contract and at least right now, he is not (the Warriors can not and would not pay that anyway).

He knows his contract. And he knows that valuation increases with specific accolades. As much as he wants the award in the back of his mind he knows winning then award might help net that max level contract at his age. I doubt he gets $235MM from GSW. So he better have his sights set elsewhere. I’d hope they would give him $150MM for all that he has done for the organization but that’s the pissing match we will see next year. Let’s see how big of a happy family they truly have when Klay/KD get paid. Only one of them guys can the supermax. KD is the obvious choice but will that undercut Klay Thompson in his mind. I believe he will take it personally but that’s just my thinking. Best thing that could happen is KD leaves and they resign Klay to the supermax and the family is all happy until the summer of Draymond

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
HiRez
RealGM

Post#14 » by HiRez » Thu Nov 1, 2018 8:05 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:0.8bpg so far, needs to work harder

That’s the problem, a lot of people associate more blocks with good defense and it’s only one of many components of it. You can have 2 blocks per game and still be a really bad defender.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#15 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Nov 1, 2018 8:33 pm

HiRez wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:0.8bpg so far, needs to work harder

That’s the problem, a lot of people associate more blocks with good defense and it’s only one of many components of it. You can have 2 blocks per game and still be a really bad defender.

Yea, people voting can't watch all the games, they're gonna be influenced by stats.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#16 » by likashing » Thu Nov 1, 2018 8:34 pm

cheese318 wrote:
HiRez wrote:It’s worth pointing out that Draymond said nothing about money or contracts with regards to this. People are acting like he’s demanding a max contract and at least right now, he is not (the Warriors can not and would not pay that anyway).

He knows his contract. And he knows that valuation increases with specific accolades. As much as he wants the award in the back of his mind he knows winning then award might help net that max level contract at his age. I doubt he gets $235MM from GSW. So he better have his sights set elsewhere. I’d hope they would give him $150MM for all that he has done for the organization but that’s the pissing match we will see next year. Let’s see how big of a happy family they truly have when Klay/KD get paid. Only one of them guys can the supermax. KD is the obvious choice but will that undercut Klay Thompson in his mind. I believe he will take it personally but that’s just my thinking. Best thing that could happen is KD leaves and they resign Klay to the supermax and the family is all happy until the summer of Draymond

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

The 1 super max slot left only affects Draymond and Klay.

KD can take 35% without using up a super max slot because he has been in the league for 10+ seasons.

<assuming KD wants to stay and the Warriors want to pay>
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#17 » by popfan » Thu Nov 1, 2018 8:37 pm

This isn't news. This is a promo for the Warriors. Anything to inflate the value of their franchise.

From now on, I'll refer to RealGM as RealGS. How much of RealGS does Joe Lacob own? Really.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,778

Post#18 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Fri Nov 2, 2018 1:47 am

Kawhi Leonard, would like to have a word...Heh ;) :P :) :D! Lolz
HiRez
RealGM

Post#19 » by HiRez » Fri Nov 2, 2018 3:07 am

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:Kawhi Leonard, would like to have a word...Heh ;) :P :) :D! Lolz

When asked about who else in the NBA is in the same class as himself Green said of Kawhi, “I got mad respect for him, but I think I’m the best. If you want my honest opinion, there’s no one in the category with me but Kawhi.”

Draymond Green Says Only Kawhi Leonard Can Compete With Him On Defense
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#20 » by Cookin Baskets » Fri Nov 2, 2018 3:35 am

popfan wrote:This isn't news. This is a promo for the Warriors. Anything to inflate the value of their franchise.

From now on, I'll refer to RealGM as RealGS. How much of RealGS does Joe Lacob own? Really.

:lol: No,Everybody just loves the warriors. 8-)
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!

Return to Wiretap Discussion