Brett Brown Won't Commit To Markelle Fultz Or T.J. McConnell As Backup Point Guard

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Brett Brown Won't Commit To Markelle Fultz Or T.J. McConnell As Backup Point Guard 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Brett Brown benched Markelle Fultz in favor of T.J. McConnell in Monday's win by the 76ers over the Suns.

Brown wouldn't commit to either Fultz or McConnell as his backup point guard.

"I don't know," Brown said.

Fultz downplayed the situation after the game.

"Our relationship is more than teammates," Fultz said. "We both want to see each other do well, and we want to see the team win, so anytime one of us step on the court, we are probably rooting for each other more than most people. That's how it is.

"You definitely want to go out there and compete ... I'm a competitor. But, at the end of the day, coach made a decision to do that, so I have to live with it. My mindset is just, when I step on the court, go out there and play. But while T.J. is out there, I'm rooting for him.

"It's not like I'm sitting on the bench pouting or anything. I want to be out there, but I'm going to root for my teammates."

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,259

Re: Brett Brown Won't Commit To Markelle Fultz Or T.J. McConnell As Backup Point Guard 

Post#2 » by John Murdoch » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:16 pm

We all know TJ is better at this point , but if they want to resurrect any kind of trade value for Fultz then he has to have a decent bench role atleast . Ideally they would play together but seems like Shamat and korkmaz offer more reliable shooting at this point
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: Brett Brown Won't Commit To Markelle Fultz Or T.J. McConnell As Backup Point Guard 

Post#3 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Didn't Brown just say Futz role won't change or something like that?
Hard to trust coaches nowadays.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#4 » by gdog2004 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Fultz is years away from being a good player that helps you win games. TJ is the obvious choice.
StayCool
Freshman
And1: 150

Post#5 » by StayCool » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:32 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Didn't Brown just say Futz role won't change or something like that?

Dude is averaging 8/3/3 on 41/28/56 shooting split and its 1/4 through the season.

Trust is never given, you earn it.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#6 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:03 pm

StayCool wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Didn't Brown just say Futz role won't change or something like that?

Dude is averaging 8/3/3 on 41/28/56 shooting split and its 1/4 through the season.

Then the coach should keep his mouth shut and not lie to the press because he loses credibility. With the addition of Butler, coach knew Fultz was going to sit.
totalrekall
Senior
And1: 49

Post#7 » by totalrekall » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:38 pm

like they discussed on the Player's Only game last night- Fultz needs to be in the G league. his confidence is shattered and he's not going to get it back playing against NBA players. he needs a ton of in-game shots so he can get over it. a few shots/gm isnt helping him at all
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#8 » by Simmons25 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:38 am

mplsfonz23 wrote:
StayCool wrote:

Then the coach should keep his mouth shut and not lie to the press because he loses credibility. With the addition of Butler, coach knew Fultz was going to sit.

LOL seriously. Butler has nothing to do with it. Butler is playing Covington's role... Redick is the one that has come in and taken Fultz role in the starting line-up as the 2.

Fultz was still going to be playing around the same amount of minutes as before. It was TJ McConnell who replaced him for the 2nd half but that had nothing to do with Butler. McConnell has had like 8 DNP's this year so far... he replaced Fultz because he came into the game and provided an immediate spark that they needed.

The coach didn't lie... Fultz sulked and all over 2 quarters of basketball where he sat on the bench replaced by TJ McConnell. :noway:

Return to Wiretap Discussion