Kyrie Irving Expects To Retire In Early-To-Mid-30s

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kyrie Irving Expects To Retire In Early-To-Mid-30s 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:33 pm

Kyrie Irving doesn't anticipate continuing his NBA career into his late thirties.

"No, no," Irving said with a smile before the Celtics held morning shootaround ahead of the game. "Once I'm done with this, hopefully in my early-to-mid-30s, I'm done with this."

Irving is 26 years old and entered the NBA after one season of college at Duke.

"I love basketball itself," Irving said. "But everything that comes with it? It doesn't really matter to me, in terms of my life. I enjoy the game, I enjoy being with my teammates, playing every single day.

"Being an NBA player, this is a dream I've had since I was a kid. I think everything else that comes with it doesn't hold the same stature it once did.

"But I enjoy it, though. I love this game."

Irving will be a free agent this offseason and previously stated he plans to re-sign with the Celtics.

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Re: Kyrie Irving Expects To Retire In Early-To-Mid-30s 

Post#2 » by MegaK » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:18 am

He not good anymore. Should retire end of season.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Post#3 » by dice » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:50 am

i think he's given about as much thought to that statement as to his flat-earth theory. how many star point guards have ever retired before age 35 w/o major injury issues? it's not like he's got an 'uncle drew' franchise to look forward to

if healthy he could conceivably sign a max deal this offseason at age 27, opt out after 3 years, sign another 4 year max at age 30, play that out and then retire at age 34
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#4 » by brackdan70 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:52 am

MegaK wrote:He not good anymore. Should retire end of season.

Lol. You are not paying attention apparently.
Sign here
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Post#5 » by dice » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:59 am

brackdan70 wrote:
MegaK wrote:He not good anymore. Should retire end of season.

Lol. You are not paying attention apparently.

or he watched last night's game and has a very short memory
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#6 » by Pennebaker » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:51 am

He'll have to at his size. Once his quickness is gone it's over. He may have to retire sooner than that.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#7 » by Shem » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:07 am

Well, during his retirement, he should use his money to take a trip to outer space and see if the Earth is really flat.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#8 » by TimRobbins » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:18 am

This is a huge red flag for anybody who is going to sign him to a supermax contract.
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#9 » by NY2TheBay » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:23 am

TimRobbins wrote:This is a huge red flag for anybody who is going to sign him to a supermax contract.

I completely disagree. He isnt a piece of property, he's human and this is his life. Basketball is a big part of it but not all of it. He's 26, saying he wants to retire in maybe 6-8 years from now is a huge red flag? :lol:

If everything you did was under a microscope outside of basketball how would you feel? He wants to be free from the constraints of pro ball in 6-8 years. Maybe he wants to see if the earth is really flat for himself, maybe he wants to be a professional finger painter, maybe he wants to just work on his golf swing. I mean he has the money to do it and this is his life. He's already played what... 6-7 years of pro ball? :lol: He's already accomplished more in that time than most players in NBA history. He's being real and raw..he should be applauded. He isnt a robot, he may actually have other talents that the world needs, he comes across as a bright guy...maybe he can go to africa and help educate and inspire which might bring him a ton of happiness. More happiness than you sitting and watching him hoop on TV with popcorn in hand on a couch critiquing his game then coming to a forum expressing your displeasure.

welp....thats all I got, Tim. He may not get a SUPERMAX contract now cause he said this, but then again...he probably doesnt need it super badly. He might need a super long trip around the world, or some supper time with a super family and wife while critiquing our posts on this forum while eating popcorn. Idk...just throwing some darts at a dart board.
TimRobbins
General Manager

Post#10 » by TimRobbins » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:27 am

NY2TheBay wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:This is a huge red flag for anybody who is going to sign him to a supermax contract.

I completely disagree. He isnt a piece of property, he's human and this is his life. Basketball is a big part of it but not all of it. He's 26, saying he wants to retire in maybe 6-8 years from now is a huge red flag? :lol:

If everything you did was under a microscope outside of basketball how would you feel? He wants to be free from the constraints of pro ball in 6-8 years. Maybe he wants to see if the earth is really flat for himself, maybe he wants to be a professional finger painter, maybe he wants to just work on his golf swing. I mean he has the money to do it and this is his life. He's already played what... 6-7 years of pro ball? :lol: He's already accomplished more in that time than most players in NBA history. He's being real and raw..he should be applauded. He isnt a robot, he may actually have other talents that the world needs, he comes across as a bright guy...maybe he can go to africa and help educate and inspire which might bring him a ton of happiness. More happiness than you sitting and watching him hoop on TV with popcorn in hand on a couch critiquing his game then coming to a forum expressing your displeasure.

welp....thats all I got, Tim. He may not get a SUPERMAX contract now cause he said this, but then again...he probably doesnt need it super badly. He might need a super long trip around the world, or some supper time with a super family and wife while critiquing our posts on this forum while eating popcorn. Idk...just throwing some darts at a dart board.

He's basically saying he doesn't enjoy playing anymore. It doesn't work that way in the NBA no matter how talented you are. If Kyrie gets his supermax and stops working hard he'll become an albatross very quickly.

I have no complaints towards Kyrie. He's a human being like you say and he has the right to do whatever he wants to. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't give him a 5-year supermax after this interview.
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#11 » by NY2TheBay » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:10 am

TimRobbins wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:

He's basically saying he doesn't enjoy playing anymore. It doesn't work that way in the NBA no matter how talented you are. If Kyrie gets his supermax and stops working hard he'll become an albatross very quickly.

I have no complaints towards Kyrie. He's a human being like you say and he has the right to do whatever he wants to. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't give him a 5-year supermax after this interview.

Doesnt come across as a guy that would mail it in to me. Seems to have a lot of pride in his game and the legends respect him and is touted as one of the best ball handlers of all time.

Look, bottom line, he'll be a top tier player for as long as he wants to. He sees the game at a different speed and his ability to create in space is rare. Footwork is top level and has all the step backs and fade aways in the book. He can literally do it all. The game comes so easy to him, he needs to be challenged and that challenge may not come on a basketball court. Think Barry Sanders. Hes worth the supermax and he wouldnt disappoint. He probably wouldnt sign a 4-5 year deal if he was already thinking exit strategy. Thing is the fame and the feeling you get on the court can be like a drug and when you give it up its hard to find something that gives you that same feeling....especially for athletes who compete. Nothing really matches that, only genuine happiness. Thats it for me Mr. Robbins. Gnight.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#12 » by Hoopzilla » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:49 pm

Kyrie doesn't have to worry about playing into his late thirties. Small offensive players that struggle defensively are done when they lose an ounce of that explosive first step. Ask AI. This kid has a title and will end up in the HOF. There is no need to drive his body into the ground. He will retire with more money that most could fathom having. Not everyone needs to be a billionaire to be happy . Kevin Johnson retired after ten years and he looks pretty happy with life...
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,759

Post#13 » by KamikazeK » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:02 pm

NY2TheBay wrote:while critiquing our posts on this forum while eating popcorn. Idk...just throwing some darts at a dart board.

ah, so that's what these NBA players get up to in their free time.
Hullajelolt
Junior
And1: 512

Post#14 » by Hullajelolt » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Nene also said he would retire at age 33. He is 36 and still on the Rockets' roster.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#15 » by 12footrim » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:29 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:Kyrie doesn't have to worry about playing into his late thirties. Small offensive players that struggle defensively are done when they lose an ounce of that explosive first step. Ask AI. This kid has a title and will end up in the HOF. There is no need to drive his body into the ground. He will retire with more money that most could fathom having. Not everyone needs to be a billionaire to be happy . Kevin Johnson retired after ten years and he looks pretty happy with life...

Pennebaker wrote:He'll have to at his size. Once his quickness is gone it's over. He may have to retire sooner than that.

I disagree. He's basically like a bigger better version of Lou Williams and that guy had a career year at 31 and doesn't seem like he will be slowing down that much the next couple of years. If anything Lou's game is more about getting to the FT line which ages worse as well. I could see Kyrie aging quite well especially since he can guard some SG sized players as he loses a step.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#16 » by NY2TheBay » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:10 pm

KamikazeK wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:while critiquing our posts on this forum while eating popcorn. Idk...just throwing some darts at a dart board.

ah, so that's what these NBA players get up to in their free time.

throwing a dart, probably missed the board entirely.
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#17 » by L3GEND4RY » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:26 pm

Why? He’s 26.

Signature by freshcontrast
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,947

Post#18 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:31 pm

TimRobbins wrote:He's basically saying he doesn't enjoy playing anymore. It doesn't work that way in the NBA no matter how talented you are. If Kyrie gets his supermax and stops working hard he'll become an albatross very quickly.

You must not have read the article, since he says the exact opposite: "But I enjoy it, though. I love this game."

The stuff he doesn't enjoy is most likely all this media BS and having every little thing he says under a microscope or as shown in your post, people coming to wrong conclusions about him.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#19 » by tigerae » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:30 am

Nutty Nats Fan wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:He's basically saying he doesn't enjoy playing anymore. It doesn't work that way in the NBA no matter how talented you are. If Kyrie gets his supermax and stops working hard he'll become an albatross very quickly.

You must not have read the article, since he says the exact opposite: "But I enjoy it, though. I love this game."

The stuff he doesn't enjoy is most likely all this media BS and having every little thing he says under a microscope or as shown in your post, people coming to wrong conclusions about him.

He brought most of it on himself. For the most part, the media gave him a pass while he was in Cleveland. Before LeBron he was on a young team that was losing and had no expectations. During LeBron, LeBron took most of the blows from the media as he was the main guy and the international superstar.

Once he decided to come out and say he didn't want to play with LeBron, the attention was turned to him. Joining the Celtics who are in win now mode and he's THE guy, everything he does and says on and off the court is under a microscope.

He wanted to the "THE guy" so he brought the media frenzy on himself.

Then to top it off he says stupid crap like "the Earth is flat" and "he doesn't celebrate that s*** (Thanksgiving)" when someone wishes him a Happy Thanksgiving is just adding more fuel for the media to get on his case more and more.

Just keep your mouth shut if you can't take the heat.
TimRobbins
General Manager

Post#20 » by TimRobbins » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:54 am

Nutty Nats Fan wrote:

I have read the article. It doesn't matter which aspect he doesn't enjoy. A guy who's looking to quit doesn't enjoy what he's doing.

Return to Wiretap Discussion