Gordon Hayward Sets Celtics Record With 30 Point Performance

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Gordon Hayward Sets Celtics Record With 30 Point Performance  

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Dec 2, 2018 6:54 am

Gordon Hayward became the first player in Boston Celtics franchise history to record at least 30 points, 9 rebounds, and 8 assists off the bench in their 118-109 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves. 

Hayward shot 8-16 from the field, including going 4-5 from the 3-point line, in 29 minutes. 

His previous high this season was 19 points. 

Via Darren Hartwell/NBC Sports

streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Re: Gordon Hayward Sets Celtics Record With 30 Point Performance 

Post#2 » by streets talking » Sun Dec 2, 2018 2:44 pm

babysitting season
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#3 » by artsncrafts » Sun Dec 2, 2018 4:41 pm

What a bizarre stat. It was a good game and congrats on that, but quite the arbitrary cut off to sensationalize a "Celtic record".
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#4 » by arasu » Sun Dec 2, 2018 6:15 pm

artsncrafts wrote:What a bizarre stat. It was a good game and congrats on that, but quite the arbitrary cut off to sensationalize a "Celtic record".

The Celtics notoriously have a long history of great 6th men. For none of those great players to have at least those numbers off the bench is impressive. Points-rebounds-assists combos are actually pretty common as records go. Having the most in those categories combined is a pretty commonly mentioned record. What is "arbitrary" about having 'the most''? For example, if your franchise has never had a player go for at least 46-13-11, it is definitely going to be mentioned if someone sets that record.
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#5 » by artsncrafts » Sun Dec 2, 2018 6:43 pm

arasu wrote:
artsncrafts wrote:What a bizarre stat. It was a good game and congrats on that, but quite the arbitrary cut off to sensationalize a "Celtic record".

The Celtics notoriously have a long history of great 6th men. For none of those great players to have at least those numbers off the bench is impressive. Points-rebounds-assists combos are actually pretty common as records go. Having the most in those categories combined is a pretty commonly mentioned record. What is "arbitrary" about having 'the most''? For example, if your franchise has never had a player go for at least 46-13-11, it is definitely going to be mentioned if someone sets that record.

well 46-13-11 is significantly better :lol:
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,176

Post#6 » by og15 » Sun Dec 2, 2018 7:03 pm

arasu wrote:

The cut-offs are random though. I'm always criticizing random cut offs though, so part of this is just my annoyance about them.

Great game off the bench, it's rare for a player to come close to a 30 points triple double off the bench. We can and should praise that, but saying he "set a record", that's not any sort of "record". It's only a record when you make arbitrary cut offs.

McHale had 32/10/7 off the bench, so Hayward has 2 less points, 1 less rebound, but one more assist and suddenly it is special?

Bird was truly a starter and he played 37 minutes, but he had 29/8/12 off the bench in 85, and also 26/14/7 in 86. Barros had 27/9/9 off the bench.

If we just start making different cut offs, 25/9/9, 26/12/7, etc, everyone is having "records".
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#7 » by 31to6 » Mon Dec 3, 2018 2:38 am

og15 wrote:
arasu wrote:

The cut-offs are random though. I'm always criticizing random cut offs though, so part of this is just my annoyance about them.

Great game off the bench, it's rare for a player to come close to a 30 points triple double off the bench. We can and should praise that, but saying he "set a record", that's not any sort of "record". It's only a record when you make arbitrary cut offs.

McHale had 32/10/7 off the bench, so Hayward has 2 less points, 1 less rebound, but one more assist and suddenly it is special?

Bird was truly a starter and he played 37 minutes, but he had 29/8/12 off the bench in 85, and also 26/14/7 in 86. Barros had 27/9/9 off the bench.

If we just start making different cut offs, 25/9/9, 26/12/7, etc, everyone is having "records".

Oh come on don't rain on our parade, we've been waiting for decades for someone to register 30/9/8 off the bench, specifically when going 8-16 from the field, including going 4-5 from the 3-point line, in 29 minutes. For awhile there -- specifically before the invention of the three-point line -- I actually thought it was never going to happen!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#8 » by Donnyxc » Mon Dec 3, 2018 2:44 am

31to6 wrote:
og15 wrote:
arasu wrote:The Celtics notoriously have a long history of great 6th men. For none of those great players to have at least those numbers off the bench is impressive. Points-rebounds-assists combos are actually pretty common as records go. Having the most in those categories combined is a pretty commonly mentioned record. What is "arbitrary" about having 'the most''? For example, if your franchise has never had a player go for at least 46-13-11, it is definitely going to be mentioned if someone sets that record.

Oh come on don't rain on our parade, we've been waiting for decades for someone to register 30/9/8 off the bench, specifically when going 8-16 from the field, including going 4-5 from the 3-point line, in 29 minutes. For awhile there -- specifically before the invention of the three-point line -- I actually thought it was never going to happen!

lol
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#9 » by og15 » Mon Dec 3, 2018 3:53 am

31to6 wrote:
og15 wrote:
arasu wrote:The Celtics notoriously have a long history of great 6th men. For none of those great players to have at least those numbers off the bench is impressive. Points-rebounds-assists combos are actually pretty common as records go. Having the most in those categories combined is a pretty commonly mentioned record. What is "arbitrary" about having 'the most''? For example, if your franchise has never had a player go for at least 46-13-11, it is definitely going to be mentioned if someone sets that record.

Haha, exactly
arasu
Rookie

Post#10 » by arasu » Mon Dec 3, 2018 4:50 am

og15 wrote:
arasu wrote:

Umm..there is no cut off. It's called the most. And yes, if someone has 28-9-9 that is the new record, but not 25-9-9, because, as you wrote, Barros already has that one.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/01/celtics_notebook_patient_rajon_rondo_showing_progress
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#11 » by og15 » Mon Dec 3, 2018 4:55 am

arasu wrote:
og15 wrote:

Umm..there is no cut off. It's called the most. And yes, if someone has 28-9-9 that is the new record, but not 25-9-9, because, as you wrote, Barros already has that one.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/01/celtics_notebook_patient_rajon_rondo_showing_progress
I don't think you got the point, but that's okay

Sent from my SM-G955W using RealGM mobile app
arasu
Rookie

Post#12 » by arasu » Mon Dec 3, 2018 5:21 am

og15 wrote:
arasu wrote:
og15 wrote:The cut-offs are random though. I'm always criticizing random cut offs though, so part of this is just my annoyance about them.

My point is the idea of a "cut off" is pointless. Say you make a "cut off" at 30/10/10, does that mean 30/10/11 isn't the new record?
arasu
Rookie

Post#13 » by arasu » Mon Dec 3, 2018 5:30 am

og15 wrote:
arasu wrote:
og15 wrote:The cut-offs are random though. I'm always criticizing random cut offs though, so part of this is just my annoyance about them.

Your whole idea of a "cut off" is in and of itself arbitrary. It's like saying, the franchise record for points in a game is 45, but it doesn't count because I arbitrarily made the cut off at 50.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#14 » by og15 » Mon Dec 3, 2018 1:08 pm

arasu wrote:
og15 wrote:
arasu wrote:Umm..there is no cut off. It's called the most. And yes, if someone has 28-9-9 that is the new record, but not 25-9-9, because, as you wrote, Barros already has that one.

Your whole idea of a "cut off" is in and of itself arbitrary. It's like saying, the franchise record for points in a game is 45, but it doesn't count because I arbitrarily made the cut off at 50.
Most points off the bench, record
Most rebounds off the bench, record
Most assists off the bench, record

Hayward did none of those. Hayward had the most what exactly?

arasu
Rookie

Post#15 » by arasu » Tue Dec 4, 2018 2:30 am

og15 wrote:
arasu wrote:
og15 wrote:I don't think you got the point, but that's okay

The multi-category records are 'most while also', such as, most points, while also having less than 9 minutes. The 'while also' portion is not arbitrary, it's infinite. Most blocks, while also having at least 19 points is a different record than most blocks while also having at least 22 points. There is no reason to arbitrarily decide one doesn't count. It gets complicated when more categories are added. Of course, they may be yawn-worthy records to some people, which I totally understand.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#16 » by og15 » Tue Dec 4, 2018 3:41 am

arasu wrote:
og15 wrote:
arasu wrote:Your whole idea of a "cut off" is in and of itself arbitrary. It's like saying, the franchise record for points in a game is 45, but it doesn't count because I arbitrarily made the cut off at 50.

The multi-category records are 'most while also', such as, most points, while also having less than 9 minutes. The 'while also' portion is not arbitrary, it's infinite. Most blocks, while also having at least 19 points is a different record than most blocks while also having at least 22 points. There is no reason to arbitrarily decide one doesn't count. It gets complicated when more categories are added. Of course, they may be yawn-worthy records to some people, which I totally understand.
They are random records that are not worth pointing out. Most blocks while having 20 points and 2 steals, most blocks on a Sunday afternoon game while having 20 points and 2 steals. Most blocks while having 21 points and 2 steals. Put it in the record book of randomness, but it doesn't need to be mentioned as some special accomplishment.

Return to Wiretap Discussion