Kevin Durant Talks About Issues Superstar Players Could Have Joining LeBron James

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

Monky15
Starter
And1: 691

Re: Kevin Durant Talks About Issues Superstar Players Could Have Joining LeBron James 

Post#21 » by Monky15 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 3:20 am

cheese318 wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:
dougthonus wrote:The irony of his comments are that:
1: Superstars have historically signed up and desired to play with him (Wade, Bosh, Irving, Love, etc... )

2: Durant is a superstar, and he left his team to go join a bunch of star players that like having the ball too, so clearly he must think he feels differently than every other superstar that won't go play with LeBron.

With respect to (1): Irving and Love really didn't have any say in being paired with LeBron, so Wade and Bosh are the only superstars that have intentionally signed on to play with LBJ. Even then (aside from 2 rings) it didn't exactly create a clear situation where other superstars want the opportunity to play with him because they saw how Wade and Bosh sacrificed to support LeBron - things more or less worked out, but it wasn't what they envisioned when they signed on for The Decision, and I can see how that could temper the enthusiasm of other players considering joining the Lakers.

With respect to (2): Durant isn't particularly ball-dominant, and is used to playing beside Westbrook who may have been (aside from this season) the most ball-dominant player in the league. If anything, joining the Warriors was a chance to play with less-ball-dominant players (and a team heralded for their passing and selflessness).

I guess you forgot to think about the time Kevin love was a free agent. He could have gone anywhere. He chose to resign with CLE. That’s a decision

Remember the media fan boys KD mentioned. They would have crucified Love if he left and he would have looked like a massive loser and not gotten any extra money for it. Not really a choice.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Re: Kevin Durant Talks About Issues Superstar Players Could Have Joining LeBron James 

Post#22 » by likashing » Thu Dec 6, 2018 3:58 am

Funny how Bron fans defending LeQueen by ripping KD. KD might be a bitch or a snake, but it is irrelevant to what he says.

The fact is that no *star* has *joined* LeBron since Love re-signed with the Cavs in 2015. Since then, even Kyrie ditched him. Again the Lakers were supposed to get 2 stars but no one joined LeQueen. Let's see in 2019. One can keep dreaming.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 335

Post#23 » by Jhawk03 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 4:26 am

Does anyone else besides me believe that LeBron would be better off in KDs shoes, and KD in LeBrons shoes? I see two players who secretly want what the other has.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#24 » by colaroaster » Thu Dec 6, 2018 4:40 am

no other star player chased a ring (twice) to cleveland or lakers? maybe kyrie was onto something
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#25 » by Lalouie » Thu Dec 6, 2018 10:00 am

bosh talked about issues when he cautioned klove
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#26 » by Vegeta10176 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:23 am

colaroaster wrote:no other star player chased a ring (twice) to cleveland or lakers? maybe kyrie was onto something

Heat were 8th seed and Cleveland was a 30 win team and Laker a 30 win team chasing sure the guy who won MVP in all the finals won.. Oh and Embiid and Simmons wanted him
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#27 » by Vegeta10176 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:39 am

likashing wrote:Funny how Bron fans defending LeQueen by ripping KD. KD might be a bitch or a snake, but it is irrelevant to what he says.

The fact is that no *star* has *joined* LeBron since Love re-signed with the Cavs in 2015. Since then, even Kyrie ditched him. Again the Lakers were supposed to get 2 stars but no one joined LeQueen. Let's see in 2019. One can keep dreaming.

Here's a funny story Cavs had no cap space oh and Paul George was willing to go to the Cavs well reported.. Also Embiid from the 76ers actively campaigned for LeBron to join the and complete the process.. So yes Kyrie left hows he doing btw the celts reached the ecf without him and now struggling somewhat... So Kyrie left in the final season LBJ got the Cavs to the finals anyway.. Bosh got 2 rings due to LBJ he got a max contract when he left.. Kyrie got his profile spiked and a massive shoe contract by playing with LBJ instead of on a losing Cavs side.. Wade got a bit shafted by the heat but that was because clearly his play had declined and injuries had taken their toll Lebron had to head that heat team for large stretches with wade out injured and behind Bosh wade and LBJ that team had no depth.. The star that took the biggest hit because of Lebron was love still got a max extension btw.. But love didnt perform that well however I think his work effort was good and his demeanor was professional.. I like love but he did not perform up to his set standard.. Kyrie rep only got boosted by LBJ.. If Durant went to the Lakers the Lakers would win and Durant would average 35.. If Kawhi went and Durant stayed at gsw it would be a battle though Kwahi would be a good fit with LBJ.. Let's see how it all shakes out I am not even sure LA wanted Paul George...
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#28 » by zimpy27 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 2:01 pm

Durant just telling other superstars to back off. "Don't take my spot".

This is a bit of misdirection I think. KD notoriously says that he couldn't care less about the media and this could very well be him making a strong gesture to say he knows what he'd get from the media by going there and he doesn't care.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#29 » by cheese318 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 3:49 pm

Monky15 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:
With respect to (1): Irving and Love really didn't have any say in being paired with LeBron, so Wade and Bosh are the only superstars that have intentionally signed on to play with LBJ. Even then (aside from 2 rings) it didn't exactly create a clear situation where other superstars want the opportunity to play with him because they saw how Wade and Bosh sacrificed to support LeBron - things more or less worked out, but it wasn't what they envisioned when they signed on for The Decision, and I can see how that could temper the enthusiasm of other players considering joining the Lakers.

With respect to (2): Durant isn't particularly ball-dominant, and is used to playing beside Westbrook who may have been (aside from this season) the most ball-dominant player in the league. If anything, joining the Warriors was a chance to play with less-ball-dominant players (and a team heralded for their passing and selflessness).

I guess you forgot to think about the time Kevin love was a free agent. He could have gone anywhere. He chose to resign with CLE. That’s a decision

Remember the media fan boys KD mentioned. They would have crucified Love if he left and he would have looked like a massive loser and not gotten any extra money for it. Not really a choice.

It was very much a choice. You acting like it wasn’t is your opinion but when you have multiple options to decide to work that is called a choices. Portland was among them which is his home town. He wanted to finish what they started in CLE especially after getting hurt but there was a choice in the matter to stay. Imagine he didn’t get along with lebron or Kyrie. That could have made things change in his free agent decision
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#30 » by anatomicbomb » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:27 am

cheese318 wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:
dougthonus wrote:The irony of his comments are that:
1: Superstars have historically signed up and desired to play with him (Wade, Bosh, Irving, Love, etc... )

2: Durant is a superstar, and he left his team to go join a bunch of star players that like having the ball too, so clearly he must think he feels differently than every other superstar that won't go play with LeBron.

It's a decision (worth talking about) if he has competing offers that are as good or better.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Kevin Durant Talks About Issues Superstar Players Could Have Joining LeBron James 

Post#31 » by cheese318 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:32 am

anatomicbomb wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:

It's a decision (worth talking about) if he has competing offers that are as good or better.

A decision is when you have multiple options available for employment. Cleveland was not the only playoff caliber team offering him money. Secondly who truly wants to live in Cleveland? Thirdly as we have since found out with his issues with mental health he could have avoided the spotlight not playing within all of the hoopla LeBron brings to the table with reporters (you can read KD’s quote as to ascertain how much that affects a player). So to say it was a sure thing you are nuts. Remember Dwight Howard got traded to LAL. He bounced after a year. Remember PG13 was going to LAL? He stayed in OKC so nothing is a sure thing and decisions are options so to say he didn’t make a decision is ridiculous. You can say he made an obvious decision in your opinion but it’s moot point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#32 » by anatomicbomb » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:46 am

Monky15 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:

Not to mention:
1) Cleveland could offer Love more money than any other team
2) LeBron had left once and could certainly leave Cleveland again, which would once again leave him to get numbers and money on a weak team with no expectations

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by cheese318 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:49 am

anatomicbomb wrote:
Monky15 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

Not to mention:
1) Cleveland could offer Love more money than any other team
2) LeBron had left once and could certainly leave Cleveland again, which would once again leave him to get numbers and money on a weak team with no expectations

Again all I said is he had a decision. Go look at what you stated above. Kevin Love/Kyrie didn’t have a decision. So I just don’t buy it. I just stated two players who were in the same scenario who did two different choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoopzilla wrote:
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Post#34 » by deeps6x » Sat Dec 8, 2018 6:57 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:
colaroaster wrote:no other star player chased a ring (twice) to cleveland or lakers? maybe kyrie was onto something

Heat were 8th seed and Cleveland was a 30 win team and Laker a 30 win team chasing sure the guy who won MVP in all the finals won.. Oh and Embiid and Simmons wanted him

If LBJ wanted to build his ring count, he should have gone to Philly.

Of course he went to crap low win teams. Those are the only ones that ever have the cap space to sign max players like LeBron. But the Sixers had more talent on the team than the Lakers. LBJ clearly wanted to be in LA. Sponsorship/Fame/Adoration/whatever. Winning was obviously secondary.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#35 » by dougthonus » Sun Dec 9, 2018 7:02 pm

House12 wrote:Not sure if I would call LeBron an extremely deferential player, even for a superstar.

Not sure why you wouldn't. I'm not a big LeBron fan or anything, but he clearly passes much more than other superstar scorers to the point where it was a major criticism of his at various points in his career (that he passed in the biggest moments rather than taking the shot himself).

He has a higher AST% than Stephen Curry on the Warriors, as an example.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#36 » by dougthonus » Sun Dec 9, 2018 7:09 pm

anatomicbomb wrote:With respect to (1): Irving and Love really didn't have any say in being paired with LeBron, so Wade and Bosh are the only superstars that have intentionally signed on to play with LBJ. Even then (aside from 2 rings) it didn't exactly create a clear situation where other superstars want the opportunity to play with him because they saw how Wade and Bosh sacrificed to support LeBron - things more or less worked out, but it wasn't what they envisioned when they signed on for The Decision, and I can see how that could temper the enthusiasm of other players considering joining the Lakers.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I think if I'm a star in my prime that I would fear more that LeBron's career will wind down quickly more so than fearing the way LeBron plays. I think LeBron clearly is willing to let others take big shots, make plays, and be whomever they want. Fair point that Irving/Love, though they were clearly initially happy, the fallout with Irving later would be evidence that this isn't all roses.

Maybe. Though awfully hard for me to think anything other than Durant wanted rings, and the Warriors were by far the best opportunity to get them. To the point where people have memed "Against no odds, he achieved the probable". His total number of touches seems about the same (a little less his 1st year than his career average, a little more the second, and quite a bit more so far this year due to the injuries).
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#37 » by dougthonus » Sun Dec 9, 2018 7:12 pm

deeps6x wrote:If LBJ wanted to build his ring count, he should have gone to Philly.

Of course he went to crap low win teams. Those are the only ones that ever have the cap space to sign max players like LeBron. But the Sixers had more talent on the team than the Lakers. LBJ clearly wanted to be in LA. Sponsorship/Fame/Adoration/whatever. Winning was obviously secondary.

Philly seems like a poor fit for LBJ, so I'm not sure that would have put him in a better place. Certainly it would have been better than LA this year, but LA might be much more preferable over a 4 year stretch than Philly depending what they can do this off-season.

Granted, I still agree that he wanted to be in LA because it was LA. However, I'm not sure over a four year contract if his ring situation was any better anywhere else. The only places I could see it being much better were places that didn't have any reasonable way to bring him on board.
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Wiretap Discussion