Africa Has "10 Embiids Walking Around" According To Masai Ujiri

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 149

Africa Has "10 Embiids Walking Around" According To Masai Ujiri 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:24 pm

In a recent two-day celebration of his Giants of Africa basketball program, Masai Ujiri stated that there are 10 players with the athletic ability of Joel Embiid in Africa who have never touched a basketball. 

"I'm confident to say there are 10 Embiids walking around, there are 10 whoevers walking around in Africa", Ujiri said, while adding that "there are people who have gone through their lives that have that athletic ability who haven't even touched a basketball. They never had the courts, they never had the opportunity. That's why it's a gold mine and people are starting to realize it now."

Ujiri has also been in talks with the NBA and FIBA about starting a basketball league in Africa, although he cites logistical difficulties as a stumbling block.

Embiid and Pascal Siakam were discovered at Luc Mbah a Moute's Basketball Without Borders camp in Cameroon. Embiid played volleyball before picking up basketball at the age of 17. 

Via Lori Ewing/The Canadian Press

The76thDegree
Starter
And1: 99

Re: Africa Has 

Post#2 » by The76thDegree » Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:31 pm

This is the guy who drafted Bruno Caboclo in the first round so I’m not sure his opinions on foreign prospects are on point.
"Our goals are to build over time a championship caliber team that can compete year in and year out, and that doesn’t happen overnight.”
- Sam Hinkie

51X3RF4N wrote:Sam Hinkie doesn't participate in the draft. The draft gets Sam Hinkie'd.
Nazrmohamed
Analyst
And1: 1,515

Post#3 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:33 pm

The first thing I thought of when reading this was that movie "the air up there", with Kevin Bacon. Go check it out
streets talking
Junior
And1: 19

Post#4 » by streets talking » Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:35 pm

lets colonize this country
tkbchimyjr18
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#5 » by tkbchimyjr18 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:39 pm

Makes sense.
tkbchimyjr18
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#6 » by tkbchimyjr18 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 11:43 pm

The76thDegree wrote:This is the guy who drafted Bruno Caboclo in the first round so I’m not sure his opinions on foreign prospects are on point.

Lol and that right there is why he's former team scout turned assistant general manager turned general manager turned team president and you're just some guy commenting on a message board.
bballshinobi
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#7 » by bballshinobi » Fri Dec 7, 2018 12:03 am

tkbchimyjr18 wrote:
The76thDegree wrote:This is the guy who drafted Bruno Caboclo in the first round so I’m not sure his opinions on foreign prospects are on point.

Lol and that right there is why he's former team scout turned assistant general manager turned general manager turned team president and you're just some guy commenting on a message board.

Not really true. Ujiri became a scout and ultimately a GM because he was a ex-professional player just like a lot of these basketball executives. They are not necessarily better at judging talents or know more about basketball than the more educated basketball fans. It's just politics and connection, and in the case of Ujiri, blessed DNA to get into professional basketball in the first place
defstarcon
Sophomore
And1: 117

Post#8 » by defstarcon » Fri Dec 7, 2018 12:09 am

bballshinobi wrote:
tkbchimyjr18 wrote:

Not really true. Ujiri became a scout and ultimately a GM because he was a ex-professional player just like a lot of these basketball executives. They are not necessarily better at judging talents or know more about basketball than the more educated basketball fans. It's just politics and connection, and in the case of Ujiri, blessed DNA to get into professional basketball in the first place

First, if bruno was picked top ten, you might have close to a point, but he took a chance with the 20th pick. in all fairness, bruno did well in the g league but couldn't make it in the big time. masai also let go of Alfonzo McKinnie and Hassan Whiteside. but yeah sure, bruno is a huge reason we shouldn't listen to him, even though his team sits on top of the league at this point.

also, the man worked himself up and you may have to leverage your connections to get things, not really a reason why we shouldn't listen to the man.
The76thDegree
Starter
And1: 99

Post#9 » by The76thDegree » Fri Dec 7, 2018 12:15 am

tkbchimyjr18 wrote:

Ouch. You sure got me. I’m sorry for having an opinion. I didn’t realize people would get so butthurt over it.

In all seriousness you must be a raptors fan cause that would explain the hostility

Edit - I’m also honored for you to have used one of your nine total posts to reply to me. I must have really riled you up to cause you to log in and respond to my post after being inactive for four years
"Our goals are to build over time a championship caliber team that can compete year in and year out, and that doesn’t happen overnight.”
- Sam Hinkie

51X3RF4N wrote:Sam Hinkie doesn't participate in the draft. The draft gets Sam Hinkie'd.
nomansland
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,282

Post#10 » by nomansland » Fri Dec 7, 2018 12:22 am

This is why the talent dilution argument with respect to expansion is complete bunk. Plenty of talent out there and as basketball grows in popularity worldwide, more and more will surface.
Reeko
Senior
And1: 1,009

Post#11 » by Reeko » Fri Dec 7, 2018 12:45 am

He's not lying. I was watching Africa/Middle East vs Canada in the JR NBA Championships and while Canada had one or two good prospects the best prospects by far were on the Africa/M.E. team. Look up Marouf Moumine and Mohamed Maiga, especially Marouf looks like he's going to be a special player. I forget who was commentating on the game, I think it was Grant Hill (could be wrong but it was a former player) and they were saying that Marouf was the best 15 year old basketball player he had ever seen. The kid finished the game with a triple double and was just dominant.
A RealGM is just a ball-boy that never quit.
ToJoBuckets
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#12 » by ToJoBuckets » Fri Dec 7, 2018 12:51 am

Just wait until the Chinese talent as a whole starts to crack Euro level...
trast66
Junior
And1: 229

Post#13 » by trast66 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 1:30 am

That’s raycess.
ThunderBolt
General Manager
And1: 5,133

Post#14 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Dec 7, 2018 2:22 am

trast66 wrote:That’s raycess.

All embiid’s look alike.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 20,495

Post#15 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 2:40 am

How many players picked in the late first round don't pan out? Hell, how many lottery picks don't pan out? Markelle Fultz was taken first overall and he might be out of the league in a few years. Ben Simmons was also taken first overall and the man can't hit a shot outside of 3 feet. Talk about draft busts.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 678

Post#16 » by dangermouse » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:01 am

There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do....

There's 10 Embiids down in Africaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
oceanlife
Sophomore
And1: 395

Post#17 » by oceanlife » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:01 am

When every player is an Embiid, no one is.
lebron stopper
Head Coach
And1: 16,985

Post#18 » by lebron stopper » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:22 am

He absolutely nailed the Pascal Siakam pick, though.
Vegeta10176
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#19 » by Vegeta10176 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:40 am

Raps in 4 wrote:

How many players picked in the late first round don't pan out? Hell, how many lottery picks don't pan out? Markelle Fultz was taken first overall and he might be out of the league in a few years. Ben Simmons was also taken first overall and the man can't hit a shot outside of 3 feet. Talk about draft busts.

Your calling Simmons a draft bust now you sound like a moron
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 20,495

Post#20 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:47 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Your calling Simmons a draft bust now you sound like a moron

He hasn't lived up to the expectations of a first overall pick. Can he change that? Sure, but he's not there yet. Calling out a GM for whiffing on a 20th overall pick while your own team drafted a bust and a PG who can't shoot with B2B first overall picks is the only statement that's moronic here.

Return to Wiretap Discussion