Jimmy Butler Says He Only Took One Shot During Infamous Timberwolves Practice

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jimmy Butler Says He Only Took One Shot During Infamous Timberwolves Practice 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:09 am

Jimmy Butler revealed that he only took one shot in the now-famous Timberwolves practice in which he verbally challenged teammates and team executives while running the table with end of the bench players.

He said he dominated the scrimmage with "dimes, boom, boom, boom. Steals, blocks. I only shot the ball one time".

Butler says he was riled up by an unnamed person trying to force him to practice with the starters. He originally told Tom Thibodeau that he didn't want to play because he was only going to try to "prove a point".

"I was on one," Butler added.

He described the sequence, saying he was "yapping. I always talk anyways, I'm always talking about how someone can't guard me...that's what I do. This time it was just a little bit different because of whose team I was on, and I ain't been around, so it was just like taken up a notch. And it didn't help who was watching...in ownership, management, all of that good stuff."

He said he hoped that details from the practice gave him a reputation as a player who "wants to win at all costs".

Via The J.J. Redick Podcast/The Ringer

Bolts
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,051

Re: Jimmy Butler Says He Only Took One Shot During Infamous Timberwolves Practice 

Post#3 » by Bolts » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:46 am

His nickname of General Soreness is well earned. People that want to win don't sit out. Butler is a loser of a teammate.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Re: Jimmy Butler Says He Only Took One Shot During Infamous Timberwolves Practice 

Post#4 » by BigHustle » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:47 am

Love his passion and work ethic.
Satch
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#5 » by Satch » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:11 am

This was all about money.. The wolves were against the cap so couldnt offer more than they did, unless they somehow dumped a bunch of salary to get him closer to the max.. which in turn would have gutted the team.. you look at the teams he agreed to go to and they were bad but had space to give him his dough... nothing to do with winning
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,321

Post#6 » by Stratmaster » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:27 am

No Jimmy, it just gave you a reputation as an ass who likes to yap.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Bolts
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,051

Post#7 » by Bolts » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:52 am

Satch wrote:This was all about money.. The wolves were against the cap so couldnt offer more than they did, unless they somehow dumped a bunch of salary to get him closer to the max.. which in turn would have gutted the team.. you look at the teams he agreed to go to and they were bad but had space to give him his dough... nothing to do with winning

Wait, did I miss the news that the 76ers extended Butler? Is Butler earning more today?
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#8 » by Flash Falcon X » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:40 am

Honestly I feel like that scrimmage is being over exaggerated.

It’s just a scrimmage.

His teammates were most likely annoyed with him and just wanted practice over with. Jimmy being the only one trying 100% in what’s supposed to be a light scrimmage.

He probably even had Derrick Rose on his team doing all the scoring while Jimmy takes all the credit.
#DubNation
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#9 » by Simmons25 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:03 am

Bolts wrote:His nickname of General Soreness is well earned. People that want to win don't sit out. Butler is a loser of a teammate.

And Jimmy had every right with the way the Wolves treated him. Players who want to win and want a trade from a team where it's obvious their 2 "stars" don't want to win... do sit out. They especially sit out when their coach and GM is lying to their face about trying to organise a trade (against the owners wishes who told them to grant him the trade).

That's why Jimmy had enough and forced their hand. He could have chosen to stay, cash his checks and just go out there and play selfishly to try and bump up his stats and next contract value... but he wanted to get traded to a team where he could win instead.
triple_threat
Veteran
And1: 2,045

Post#10 » by triple_threat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 am

Flash Falcon X wrote:Honestly I feel like that scrimmage is being over exaggerated.

It’s just a scrimmage.

His teammates were most likely annoyed with him and just wanted practice over with. Jimmy being the only one trying 100% in what’s supposed to be a light scrimmage.

He probably even had Derrick Rose on his team doing all the scoring while Jimmy takes all the credit.

Light scrimmage is soft bro
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#11 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 am

how lame do you have to be to keep referencing a good practice you had. Sheesh
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
Satch
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#12 » by Satch » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:42 am

So he wanted to win huh? Then why did he list the Knicks, Nets and Heat as 3 of the four teams he would resign with when he made his trade demands..
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#13 » by IWishIWasHarden » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:31 am

Because he would've missed.
CH Smoot
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#14 » by CH Smoot » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:53 am

Butler an ABSOLUTE bag of tools.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Return to Wiretap Discussion