Re: Thunder Pick Up 2019-2020 Option On Billy Donovan

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Thunder Pick Up 2019-2020 Option On Billy Donovan 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:19 pm

The Oklahoma City Thunder have picked up the fifth-year option on Billy Donovan for next season, which represents the final year of his original five-year contract. 

With a record of 150 wins and 96 losses, Donovan trails only Steve Kerr, Gregg Popovich, and Brad Stevens in total coaching wins with one team over his three-plus seasons with the Thunder. 

There is indication that Donovan could be offered a contract extension with a strong playoff performance. 

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Cipoteman
Junior
And1: 226

Re: Thunder Pick Up 2019-2020 Option On Billy Donovan 

Post#2 » by Cipoteman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:43 pm

Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,168

Re: Re: Thunder Pick Up 2019-2020 Option On Billy Donovan 

Post#3 » by Pelon chingon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:28 pm

None of this matters until they move Russ to SG.
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#4 » by SecondTake » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:33 pm

Pelon chingon wrote:None of this matters until they move Russ to SG.

Huh? Russ cant shoot, defends when he feels like, so what's he supposed to do at SG? The guy is a pg.
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#5 » by chipchipperson » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:07 am

This comment belongs in 2005.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#6 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:21 am

SecondTake wrote:

Huh? Russ cant shoot, defends when he feels like, so what's he supposed to do at SG? The guy is a pg.

But what do those qualities have to do with which guard position he plays at?
SecondTake
Veteran

Post#7 » by SecondTake » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:39 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
SecondTake wrote:

Because all his strengths rely on him controlling the ball the majority of each possession. That's the job of a PG. An SG would indicate he's playing more off ball (otherwise why change positions) and he's a shell of himself when not dominating the rock.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,168

Post#8 » by Pelon chingon » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:54 pm

SecondTake wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
SecondTake wrote:

Because all his strengths rely on him controlling the ball the majority of each possession. That's the job of a PG. An SG would indicate he's playing more off ball (otherwise why change positions) and he's a shell of himself when not dominating the rock.

His strengths are a double edged sword though. Those same attributes end up playing against him in crucial moments where the game calls for level headed decisions.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#9 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:48 pm

SecondTake wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
SecondTake wrote:

I needed you to say this and knew it was inevitable because what everybody is used to now is PGs who attack and 2/3s who play off the ball in 3d situations. My favorite type of combos are caretakers at PG with prolific SGs.

Fisher/ Kobe
Chalmers/ Wade
Beverly/ Harden

?/ Westbrook
SecondTake
Veteran

Post#10 » by SecondTake » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:01 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
SecondTake wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

I needed you to say this and knew it was inevitable because what everybody is used to now is PGs who attack and 2/3s who play off the ball in 3d situations. My favorite type of combos are caretakers at PG with prolific SGs.

Fisher/ Kobe
Chalmers/ Wade
Beverly/ Harden

?/ Westbrook

I get the above, although I wouldnt classify Harden as an SG. I mean I guess he is on paper, but his usage rate is higher than Wb's, brings up the ball 90% of the time and carries the offense almost every possession. He's basically an PG.

Harden/Wade are great off ball players. I cant think of a great SG who wasn't great off the ball. WB has been pretty bad off ball, the few times we've seen him. So although a PG like Chris Paul is probably better in terms of being a traditional PG than WB, by moving WB you neuter all his strengths, to the point where any benefit you get from having as traditional PG are offset by his decline.

Return to Wiretap Discussion