Celtics Hold Team Meeting Following Loss To Address 'Selfish Play'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Celtics Hold Team Meeting Following Loss To Address 'Selfish Play' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:59 am

The Boston Celtics held a closed-door team meeting that lasted 36 minutes following their 120-107 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks. It was the Celtics third straight loss. 

Kyrie Irving said the meeting was to address "inconsistencies" in their play, while adding that "it comes down to cohesion, being able to trust the pass, trust what we have going on out there. Obviously some selfish play out there where ... we have some really talented guys, but we're better as a team sharing the basketball".

Irving added that he needed to be more patient with younger players as a team leader.

"To be honest I'm not playing the minutes I would want, the role I would want, that I selfishly would want for myself. That all goes on the back burner to being patient with what I have to do to grow as a leader of this team and help these other young guys to be more prepared for what they'll encounter as they get older in this league and are going through right now. That's part of the deal that I have, as opposed to how many shots I get or how successful I am. It's how successful we are as a team".

Jaylen Brown added "it's not about me. It's about us. We're trying to be a unit, either we're going to be all in or we're not. I didn't take anything personally from it, but we all got to be better".

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Re: Celtics Hold Team Meeting Following Loss To Address 'Selfish Play' 

Post#2 » by streets talking » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:53 am

the gift became the curse
the dream became the nightmare
dude left the king to make his own paradise
but now its burning like hell
but its exactly what his ego wanted
... will he humble himsellf back to lebron thoo?!?
CEOSports
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#3 » by CEOSports » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:06 am

streets talking wrote:the gift became the curse
the dream became the nightmare
dude left the king to make his own paradise
but now its burning like hell
but its exactly what his ego wanted
... will he humble himsellf back to lebron thoo?!?

He clearly wanted to challenge himself so chill out either your “nail was lost; wat was lost.” Tokyo Drift monologues
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#4 » by TimRobbins » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:21 am

Waive Hayward. It's the only way forward.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,889

Post#5 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:48 pm

TimRobbins wrote:Waive Hayward. It's the only way forward.

Good call. That would attract a lot of free agents to Boston. Pure genius.
TimRobbins
General Manager

Post#6 » by TimRobbins » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:06 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:

1. It's the only way for the Celtics to become a top team again.

2. It will do NOTHING for future FAs. Ainge isn't known as Mr. Loyalty as is. Getting waived/traded is part of the NBA life.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,191

Post#7 » by kenwood3333 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:13 pm

" Obviously some selfish play out there where ... we have some really talented guys, but we're better as a team sharing the basketball".

Irving added that he needed to be more patient with younger players as a team leader."

What a way to throw the young guys under the bus.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#8 » by CoachD » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Sorry but I did predict this in the pre season.

You cannot simply add high usage guys to last year's team and expect everyone to check their ego... Especially when guys are believing all the hype and nonsense

The Celtic fans keep talking about adding AD or Beal ... Seemingly having still not learned this lesson

They need go investigate addition by subtraction. This isn't 2K
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#9 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:24 pm

Basically they prioritise individual success over team success.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,030

Post#10 » by ontnut » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:29 pm

But, but, but....all those "pro" analysts told me that Boston was going to be a monster because they were adding two all-stars to a eastern finals roster!!!
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,767

Post#11 » by HotelVitale » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:08 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:Basically they prioritise individual success over team success.

They don't, though, they're a very well-coached team that shares the ball well. They just got beat badly by a team that looked better than them last night. They shoot too many jump shots--that's most of their offense--and the Bucks have both Giannis to rip into their defense plus good shooters and secondary playmakers. They really missed Horford and would've needed to hit lots of midrangers and 3s to keep up, and they just didn't.
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#12 » by arasu » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:25 pm

CoachD wrote:Sorry but I did predict this in the pre season.

You cannot simply add high usage guys to last year's team and expect everyone to check their ego... Especially when guys are believing all the hype and nonsense

The Celtic fans keep talking about adding AD or Beal ... Seemingly having still not learned this lesson

They need go investigate addition by subtraction. This isn't 2K

AD can do too many things that no Celtic can do. The high usage or too-many-stars issue would be irrelevant. The addition of his defense would not be a subtraction in any way. You do have a good point though. Many teams in the past have tried to replace valuable perfect-fit role players with "stars" to reach the next level, only to take a step back.
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#13 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:38 pm

TimRobbins wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:

2. It will do NOTHING for future FAs. Ainge isn't known as Mr. Loyalty as is. Getting waived/traded is part of the NBA life.

LOL Hayward has 3yrs/100ish mil left on his contract and you think anyone in the league would waive that lmfao. The dude is an all star without question who has a beautiful fundamental feeling for the game a true stud with a deadly jump shot from anywhere on the floor. Give the guy a break everyone who follows the Celtics knew already he wasn’t going to come back 100%. This team just needs more time to feel each other out and for Hayward to grow his confidence back up to an elite level. Dude is a top 20 player in our leauge without debate. He’s clearly been on levels higher than Jimmy Butler has ever hit in his career.
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#14 » by arasu » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:11 pm

DannyAingeIsGod wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:Good call. That would attract a lot of free agents to Boston. Pure genius.

LOL Hayward has 3yrs/100ish mil left on his contract and you think anyone in the league would waive that lmfao. The dude is an all star without question who has a beautiful fundamental feeling for the game a true stud with a deadly jump shot from anywhere on the floor. Give the guy a break everyone who follows the Celtics knew already he wasn’t going to come back 100%. This team just needs more time to feel each other out and for Hayward to grow his confidence back up to an elite level. Dude is a top 20 player in our leauge without debate. He’s clearly been on levels higher than Jimmy Butler has ever hit in his career.

Biased much? Every team needs at least one fan like you.

Realistically, he probably is headed to the downside of his career. He will turn the dreaded 30 y/o next season, but he is young enough to bounce back and contribute to a contender. The C's definitely shouldn't waive him.
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#15 » by LaRance » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Celtics look so much better without Kyrie & Hayward... I would package both of them and a 1st rounder for Anthony Davis
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#16 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:16 pm

LaRance wrote:Celtics look so much better without Kyrie & Hayward... I would package both of them and a 1st rouder for Anthony Davis

Kyrie is a free agent so unless he said I am going to stay in NO then this would never get done... Hayward looks a shadow off himself you would have to throw in at least another first rounder for some to take that contract.. Now celtics won all home games except the last one in the playoffs against the Cavs the Sam's Cavs that without LBJ are now right near the bottom even after trying to win.. Boston was also helped by 76ers inability to finish games but the team from last year would not match the bucks the Raptors or the 76ers this year.. Hell they would struggle to get past the Pacers.. You need Kyrie and a firing Hayward..
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#17 » by NoZoLakers » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:46 pm

TimRobbins wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:

whats waiving hayward gona do? bos still on hook for his salary
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#18 » by deeps6x » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:12 pm

I'm pretty sure the meeting was only 34 minutes long.

36? Come on. That is a stretch.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
TimRobbins
General Manager

Post#19 » by TimRobbins » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:14 pm

DannyAingeIsGod wrote:LOL Hayward has 3yrs/100ish mil left on his contract and you think anyone in the league would waive that lmfao. The dude is an all star without question who has a beautiful fundamental feeling for the game a true stud with a deadly jump shot from anywhere on the floor. Give the guy a break everyone who follows the Celtics knew already he wasn’t going to come back 100%. This team just needs more time to feel each other out and for Hayward to grow his confidence back up to an elite level. Dude is a top 20 player in our leauge without debate. He’s clearly been on levels higher than Jimmy Butler has ever hit in his career.

He's not a top 20 or top 300 player in the league in his current form. If he was, the Celtics would be leading the East right now. There is no reason to believe he'll get back to starter-level form in the future. Right now Hayward is hurting the Celtics and unless they can get rid of him, they will remain a mediocre team and waste the windfall they got from the Nets.
TimRobbins
General Manager

Post#20 » by TimRobbins » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:15 pm

BallnIngram wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:Good call. That would attract a lot of free agents to Boston. Pure genius.

whats waiving hayward gona do? bos still on hook for his salary

Getting him off the team will make the Celtics instantly better. See last season.

Return to Wiretap Discussion