James Harden: Critics Need To Focus Less On Fouls, More On His Greatness

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

James Harden: Critics Need To Focus Less On Fouls, More On His Greatness 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 4, 2019 8:33 am

Following his fifth-straight 40-point game, James Harden said that the conversation needs to focus on his recent scoring achievements instead of his ability to draw fouls.

"They talk too much about fouls and not the actual greatness of what I'm really doing on the court. That's what we need to focus on," said Harden following the Rockets 135-134 overtime win against the Warriors in which he scored the game-winning 3.

Harden finished with 44 points, 15 assists, and 10 rebounds, his second straight 40-point triple-double. 

"I got the total package. I get to the basket, aggressive, I shoot my shot....Don't foul me on my jump shot. And then you won't have anything to talk about. It's simple as that," said Harden about people critical of his playing style.

Following the Warriors game, Daryl Morey added that “you can argue for [Harden] as the best offensive player of all time".

Via Alykhan Bijani/The Athletic

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Re: James Harden: Critics Need To Focus Less On Fouls, More On His Greatness 

Post#2 » by IWishIWasHarden » Fri Jan 4, 2019 10:17 am

I was thinking the same thing Daz. I was thinking the same thing....

Hell of a game lol hell of a game.
Ryan91729
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#3 » by Ryan91729 » Fri Jan 4, 2019 10:21 am

Stop flopping then.
SKG
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#4 » by SKG » Fri Jan 4, 2019 10:52 am

Can we talk about your 20 steps then?
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,061

Post#5 » by iggymcfrack » Fri Jan 4, 2019 1:41 pm

He’s not wrong. There’s probably 4 other guards in the history of the game that have ever reached the level he’s playing at right now. Just an insane run.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,935

Post#6 » by SuperDeluxe » Fri Jan 4, 2019 2:40 pm

We'll discuss greatness when you or your team start making any semblance of noise in the playoffs. In the meantime, people will try not to foul you.
GuessWhoNot
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#7 » by GuessWhoNot » Fri Jan 4, 2019 2:59 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:We'll discuss greatness when you or your team start making any semblance of noise in the playoffs. In the meantime, people will try not to foul you.

You mean like last year when the Rockets had a 3-2 lead in the WCF and had the Finals at their grasp, but then CP3 got injured in game 5 and a bunch of bullsh*t no-calls or wrong calls happened against the Rockets in game 7?
BasketballJunky
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#8 » by BasketballJunky » Fri Jan 4, 2019 3:02 pm

Maybe we should recognize greatness more. First Lebron calling himself the GOAT now this. Are we under appreciating our Stars?

P.s
Stop forcing fouls and stop travelling.
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#9 » by castor777 » Fri Jan 4, 2019 3:36 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:We'll discuss greatness when you or your team start making any semblance of noise in the playoffs. In the meantime, people will try not to foul you.

That's so ignorant it's not even funny. I'm not a Rockets fan at all, but they took the greatest team ever assembled to a 7 game series in the WCF and, had Chris Paul not been injured, would've likely won.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,935

Post#10 » by SuperDeluxe » Fri Jan 4, 2019 3:45 pm

castor777 wrote:

That's so ignorant it's not even funny. I'm not a Rockets fan at all, but they took the greatest team ever assembled to a 7 game series in the WCF and, had Chris Paul not been injured, would've likely won.

Sorry guys, I'm at work and don't have time to research the times Harden disappeared in the playoffs. At the moment, a critical game against the Spurs comes to mind. If I remember about this thread's existence, I'll get back to you over the weekend to discuss my ignorance (or naybe yours).
TerryTate
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#11 » by TerryTate » Fri Jan 4, 2019 4:18 pm

Focus less on Fouls?
So he can get away with more walks?

Most of the times when you google *player's name here* travel you might come up with 2-3 videos, mostly the same video
James Harden, there are so many incidents of travelling, I have to start scrolling down and there are all unique videos or gifs etc.

NBA should be focusing on his flopping and travelling.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#12 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Jan 4, 2019 4:51 pm

GuessWhoNot wrote:

You mean like last year when the Rockets had a 3-2 lead in the WCF and had the Finals at their grasp, but then CP3 got injured in game 5 and a bunch of bullsh*t no-calls or wrong calls happened against the Rockets in game 7?

Pippin has a bad back in game 6 against the Jazz on the road and Jordan gets it done. Jordan has the flu the year before in game 5 against the Jazz on the road and gets it done.

Keep the excuses coming. If Harden relies on a 32 year old guard to help him flop his way to the Finals, then how great is he really?
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#13 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Jan 4, 2019 4:52 pm

castor777 wrote:

See previous post. Applies to you as well
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#14 » by Rek » Fri Jan 4, 2019 5:07 pm

Ryan91729 wrote:Stop flopping then.
Wiseface
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#15 » by Wiseface » Fri Jan 4, 2019 5:13 pm

GuessWhoNot wrote:

Your point stands but don’t forget about how they were absolutely terrible from 3 in game 7
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#16 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Jan 4, 2019 5:20 pm

GuessWhoNot wrote:

Really? EVERYBODY knows Harden gets his lions share of the BS calls. Traveling, swing thru fouls, charging into players while flailing around throwing up shots. So please give that a rest. Houston choked the game with Harden running the show. There are injuries, and unforeseen things in all series.
If he wants us to mention his "greatness" then do something...."Great."

Is he now in the conversation for the GOAT?
Bully6789
Senior
And1: 26

Post#17 » by Bully6789 » Fri Jan 4, 2019 5:47 pm

Look at this time in the no touch you NBA Harden is a great scorer. But let’s not forget their are two former players who were better scorers
Bully6789
Senior
And1: 26

Post#18 » by Bully6789 » Fri Jan 4, 2019 5:48 pm

A lot of people are just crazy about Harden’s ability to play only on half the court he scorers but he can’t guard anybody in the Y 60 year old league
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#19 » by Invictus88 » Fri Jan 4, 2019 5:57 pm

His entire offensive game is based on his ability to take maximum advantage of the fact that he flails away and gets to the line. Why is he complaining when people mention it?
Ian Scuffling
Junior
And1: 366

Post#20 » by Ian Scuffling » Fri Jan 4, 2019 6:05 pm

I hate this guy's game and now I may hate him. I mean, I get it, from his standpoint. However, his "greatness" is helped highly by the ticky tack fouls he gets constantly. And, I'll say this, too. He is GREAT at turning the ball over and shooting a really low percentage. Keep up the greatness, beard!

Return to Wiretap Discussion