Rockets 'Definitely' Plan On Being Buyers At Trade Deadline

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Rockets 'Definitely' Plan On Being Buyers At Trade Deadline 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 4, 2019 3:41 pm

The Houston Rockets plan on remaining active in trade talks leading to the early February deadline.

"Yeah, we’re for now (in terms of their mentality). So what do they say — buyers vs. sellers? We’re definitely a buyer. …I think we’ve been trying to win the title for a while, and we had a couple years before we got James where we probably didn’t have as much of a chance to win, where we were probably a little more future focused.

"But since James (Harden) has been here we’ve been buyers at the deadline and hopefully something comes along that we think can help our chances to win the title. We’ve had a few years where we don’t, so we don’t force it, but we’re going to be looking for something to hopefully upgrade the team."

After a slow start to the season, the Rockets are now fourth in the Western Conference.

Via Sam Amick/The Athletic

fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Re: Rockets 'Definitely' Plan On Being Buyers At Trade Deadline 

Post#2 » by fuller4379 » Fri Jan 4, 2019 4:25 pm

It is going to be hard for them to "buy" anything. They don't have enough in expiring contracts to trade away in order to match contracts. I don't see a lot of teams valuing a Houston Rocket first round pick enough to take on Brandon Knight's salary.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#3 » by Furinkazan » Fri Jan 4, 2019 6:23 pm

with zero assets and contracts to trade GOOD LUCK keep dreaming though
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,599

Post#4 » by Ackshun » Fri Jan 4, 2019 6:45 pm

Who is this article quoting ? Morey ?

Basic writing 101. Come on.

Not to mention there is no "end quote" for the first quote. Terrible.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Post#5 » by spree2kawhi » Fri Jan 4, 2019 9:49 pm

The can always call the Knicks for Tim Hardaway.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,522

Post#6 » by shrink » Fri Jan 4, 2019 10:18 pm

I think they missed their chance when they let Jimmy Butler fall through their fingers. They aren’t going to find All-NBA talent, or a swingman who is All NBA defense. We’ll never know what the protections were on the four picks, but a player like Eric Gordon should not have been a stumbling block if they are trying to unseat the Warriors and win a championship
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#7 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat Jan 5, 2019 12:05 am

The article doesn't say who is speaking. These are whose words?
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,843

Post#8 » by inquisitive » Sat Jan 5, 2019 12:14 am

Bazemore would be perfect! I would like to see them get a good backup center.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#9 » by gordoncatrell » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:04 am

Sounds very similar to Ned Colleti when he was hamstrung by an over extended owner.

Translation: we will prob end up signing a "semi notable but over the hill" buyout guy to a minimum contract. We need to keep giving hope to our paying customers so they show up, tune in, and spend $.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#10 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Jan 5, 2019 7:25 am

shrink wrote:I think they missed their chance when they let Jimmy Butler fall through their fingers. They aren’t going to find All-NBA talent, or a swingman who is All NBA defense. We’ll never know what the protections were on the four picks, but a player like Eric Gordon should not have been a stumbling block if they are trying to unseat the Warriors and win a championship

They reportably did not want to give up PJ Tucker and the protections were light.. If 76ers can get the same offer and they include Eric Gordon I'd jump on it as the 76ers.. Butler would be a better fit in Houston than in philly..
Moahst
Senior
And1: 650

Post#11 » by Moahst » Sat Jan 5, 2019 5:45 pm

fuller4379 wrote:It is going to be hard for them to "buy" anything. They don't have enough in expiring contracts to trade away in order to match contracts. I don't see a lot of teams valuing a Houston Rocket first round pick enough to take on Brandon Knight's salary.

Marquese Chriss is a 3.2 million expiring. MCW and Melo are on 1 yr vet min deals. The Rockets own all of their picks. Plenty of flexibility.

Return to Wiretap Discussion