Patrick McCaw To Sign With Raptors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Patrick McCaw To Sign With Raptors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jan 9, 2019 11:31 pm

The Toronto Raptors are planning to sign Patrick McCaw for the rest of this season for the veteran's minimum.

The 23-year-old guard was most recently waived by the Cavs earlier this week after signing a non-guaranteed 2-year, $6 million deal.

The NBA was investigating the Cavs for possibility circumventing the salary cap after waiving McCaw. Most league executives are skeptical that the Cavs will be punished.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Re: Patrick McCaw To Sign With Raptors 

Post#2 » by streets talking » Wed Jan 9, 2019 11:45 pm

The Raptors just signed their backup plan
Once Khawi Leonard leaves in free Agency

Patrick McCaw is same a Leonard,
A former champion 6'7 defensive wing with athletism and range
RUN T M C
Senior
And1: 202

Post#3 » by RUN T M C » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:38 am

streets talking wrote:The Raptors just signed their backup plan

We have a winner! LMAO I feel the same way. Leonard gone!
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,179

Post#4 » by mowcrowbar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:21 am

RUN T M C wrote:
streets talking wrote:The Raptors just signed their backup plan

We have a winner! LMAO I feel the same way. Leonard gone!

Some real salty Warriors fans for some reason.
asuran
Senior
And1: 274

Post#5 » by asuran » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 am

One could say there is a few advantages in this signing.

Psychological tactics if they face GSW in the finals.

Insight into the playbook and maybe the inner workings of the GSW locker room.

Might be helpful for the Raps D league team.

In any case, no negatives really.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#6 » by HiRez » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:39 am

Am I missing something or did he just cost himself about $1.8M this year under the Warriors offer, including his new salary and the ~$150K he got from Cleveland? If he wanted a championship contender, he has that in Toronto, but he already had it in GS. If he wanted playing time, he sat at home for more than a third of the season. At the 17 minutes per game he played last year with GS, he'd have to get an additional 10 minutes per game in Toronto over the final 52 just to equal it, an unlikely prospect.

I am fascinated with the saga of Patrick McCaw, it just defies logic. I'm not mad about it, it's just so weird.
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#7 » by GordanFreeman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:03 am

HiRez wrote:Am I missing something or did he just cost himself about $1.8M this year under the Warriors offer, including his new salary and the ~$150K he got from Cleveland? If he wanted a championship contender, he has that in Toronto, but he already had it in GS. If he wanted playing time, he sat at home for more than a third of the season. At the 17 minutes per game he played last year with GS, he'd have to get an additional 10 minutes per game in Toronto over the final 52 just to equal it, an unlikely prospect.

I am fascinated with the saga of Patrick McCaw, it just defies logic. I'm not mad about it, it's just so weird.

I don't know who's been in his ear thus far. It's been a bizarre saga.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#8 » by IWishIWasHarden » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:18 am

GordanFreeman wrote:
HiRez wrote:Am I missing something or did he just cost himself about $1.8M this year under the Warriors offer, including his new salary and the ~$150K he got from Cleveland? If he wanted a championship contender, he has that in Toronto, but he already had it in GS. If he wanted playing time, he sat at home for more than a third of the season. At the 17 minutes per game he played last year with GS, he'd have to get an additional 10 minutes per game in Toronto over the final 52 just to equal it, an unlikely prospect.

He bet on himself and lost. It's very straightforward and although it didn't end with him having more money, it's far from embarrassing. Sometimes you have to take risks in life.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#9 » by BigHustle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:38 am

GordanFreeman wrote:

Uncle Dennis. Hence why he’s in TOR with the more famous, other uncle Dennis.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#10 » by likashing » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:49 am

The Warriors offered him $5.2m / 2, and he was basically guaranteed minutes at 1/2/3. The minutes are now going to McKinnie/Cook and the Warriors are now playing Cook ahead of Livingston. Go figure.

So McCaw has successfully leveraged himself into less money - pro-rated min deal from the Raptors and ~$150k from the Cavs vs $2.6m from the Warriors. As well as a lesser role on the Raptors team which is on pace for 60 wins with Kawhi, Lowry, Danny Green, VanVleet, Anunoby, Wright, and Miles ahead of him.

I will be surprised if McCaw can average even 8-10 min on these Raptors team instead of racking up DNPs.

Bizarre.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,796

Post#11 » by HotelVitale » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:11 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:
HiRez wrote:Am I missing something or did he just cost himself about $1.8M this year under the Warriors offer, including his new salary and the ~$150K he got from Cleveland? .
He bet on himself and lost. It's very straightforward and although it didn't end with him having more money, it's far from embarrassing. Sometimes you have to take risks in life.

No no. He gets out from under RFA this offseason and gets a crack at some real money. It might or might not end up being more than 5/2, but if he plays alright in limited minutes in TOR he should recoup it. He definitely hasn't 'lost' the bet on himself yet.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#12 » by Psubs » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:23 am

Not as bad as Nerlens Noel.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#13 » by 12footrim » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:28 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
IWishIWasHarden wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote: I don't know who's been in his ear thus far. It's been a bizarre saga.

No no. He gets out from under RFA this offseason and gets a crack at some real money. It might or might not end up being more than 5/2, but if he plays alright in limited minutes in TOR he should recoup it. He definitely hasn't 'lost' the bet on himself yet.

I'm with the other guys. It seems like there is less minutes and role to be had on the Raptors than GSW. It's basically like a worse version of playing time and role for less money. At least with the Warriors he could have potentially risen to their next best player after the 5 all stars and Iggy which might would get some attention. With the Raptors is he even going to beat out Norman Powell or someone who barely plays with all their depth. I don't think so, there is no intensive #1 when more is invested all the other players and even if he plays well you just have to pay him. I can't believe one of the terrible teams wouldn't have signed him for the minimum where he would have had a chance to play or this is a smarter move. At least with the Warriors he would have got a championship and some visiblity. I think he will get near zero in Toronto.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Oncloud9
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#14 » by Oncloud9 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:54 pm

12footrim wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
IWishIWasHarden wrote: He bet on himself and lost. It's very straightforward and although it didn't end with him having more money, it's far from embarrassing. Sometimes you have to take risks in life.

I'm with the other guys. It seems like there is less minutes and role to be had on the Raptors than GSW. It's basically like a worse version of playing time and role for less money. At least with the Warriors he could have potentially risen to their next best player after the 5 all stars and Iggy which might would get some attention. With the Raptors is he even going to beat out Norman Powell or someone who barely plays with all their depth. I don't think so, there is no intensive #1 when more is invested all the other players and even if he plays well you just have to pay him. I can't believe one of the terrible teams wouldn't have signed him for the minimum where he would have had a chance to play or this is a smarter move. At least with the Warriors he would have got a championship and some visiblity. I think he will get near zero in Toronto.

I agree with Hotelvitale. Players see things differently than us mere fans. He has two rings with the GS so the lure of playing for a championship team and getting rings were two things already checked off his bucket list. I suspect the locker room wasn't the nicest place with a lot of self-absorbed people like Green to deal with and If Green will clash publicly with Durant you can guarantee he wasn't nice to the mere mortals that populated the seats on the bench. The opportunity to move up the depth chart to a starter role didn't exist in the forseeable future with Curry and Thompson committed to being there. He also knew that his spot in the rotation was a buy-out candidate away from coaches DNP.

If he were seeking an organization with a proven record of developing their players and having an opportunity to move up the depth chart into a starting role, the Raps are that organization. In TO, Danny Green is expiring and Kyle has one more year so the window of opportunity is closer. Signing with the Cavs suggest to me that this is his motivation. If McCaw is as advertised, he'll quickly jump up the rotation given the erratic performance of the Rap bench. For next year and beyond, being established as a starter level talent comes with bigger money.

Return to Wiretap Discussion