Ben Simmons After Loss To Hawks: Sixers 'Too Soft'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Ben Simmons After Loss To Hawks: Sixers 'Too Soft' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:03 pm

Ben Simmons said that the Philadelphia 76ers needed to be more physical on the defensive end following a 123-121 home loss against the Atlanta Hawks. The Hawks scored 62 points in the paint and outrebounded the Sixers 44-30.

"I think we were too soft...I just don't think we're physical enough. I think defensively, we're not taking it personal enough when guys score on us. It should be a pride thing when somebody scores; you should be frustrated every time," said Simmons.

Joel Embiid missed the game with a sore ankle. 

It was the second time this season that Simmons described the team as "soft".

Jimmy Butler disagreed with Simmons' assessment.

"I don't like the word 'soft...I'm not gonna say that anybody's soft. I just think that we got beat in every aspect of the game. They came out from the jump and did what they wanted to do, and they did that for 48 straight minutes...I hope we're still together. Nobody pointing fingers at anybody."

Via ESPN

tasball
Senior
And1: 57

Re: Ben Simmons After Loss To Hawks: Sixers 'Too Soft' 

Post#2 » by tasball » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:31 pm

It doesn't seem these two are going to happen.
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#3 » by artsncrafts » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:34 pm

I dont think they are soft, I just think Simmons is overrated. Need that Embiid factor.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Post#4 » by streets talking » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Aint nobody takin the blame for this L
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#5 » by gdog2004 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:28 pm

they are a little soft. Simmons played great last night, yeah he cant shoot but he does EVERYTHING else.
Problem is outside of Simmons, Butler and Embiid they have ZERO guys who can defend. I hope Fultz is enjoying rehabbing his imaginary injury while the team that gave up two top 5 picks for him flounders.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#6 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Who on the Sixers is soft? Embiid ain't. TJ ain't. Chandler ain't. Jimmy damn-sure ain't. I wouldn't call JJ hard, but prolly not soft. That leaves Moose, Kork, Shamet, Bolden, and yep, Ben. I'm not ready to call Simmons soft, but he ain't hard either. Let him man up a lil more first... if he can't score from outside he could let dudes feel his presence more...
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,260

Post#7 » by sfernald » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:21 pm

gdog2004 wrote:they are a little soft. Simmons played great last night, yeah he cant shoot but he does EVERYTHING else.
Problem is outside of Simmons, Butler and Embiid they have ZERO guys who can defend. I hope Fultz is enjoying rehabbing his imaginary injury while the team that gave up two top 5 picks for him flounders.

Lol you think the Sac pick will be too 5?!
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#8 » by gordoncatrell » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:42 pm

The entire league is bubble gum.
The rules dont allow for "tough teams".
dantheman74
Senior
And1: 299

Post#9 » by dantheman74 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:49 am

Simmons is correct and the Sixers are gonna get shown up for it in the playoffs. He's young but he'd wreck Jimmy Butler in a fight, he's an Aussie and knows not to talk it up or play fake tough guy without meaning it and being willing to back it up. I'm glad he's showing leadership and knows it's his team for the next decade. He's just calling out Butler for what he is, a loudmouth and cancerous teammate whose play and attitude is getting on Ben and Embiid's nerves.

Wht makes me laugh is the hype on Jimmy, he always overreacts when he tries create contact and gets run over trying to take charges/setting picks/rebounds. If your gonna try be a hero on the hustle plays be prepared to get run over/elbowed in the head without wanting to jump up and try start fights every god damn time. So many videos on youtube of him acting like he wants to fight over plays 99% of other players accept as part of the game. So many vids yet none of him actually starting it, not one real punch up even if they only last 5 seconds before 20 people separate them as usual.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#10 » by gdog2004 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:51 am

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Who on the Sixers is soft? Embiid ain't. TJ ain't. Chandler ain't. Jimmy damn-sure ain't. I wouldn't call JJ hard, but prolly not soft. That leaves Moose, Kork, Shamet, Bolden, and yep, Ben. I'm not ready to call Simmons soft, but he ain't hard either. Let him man up a lil more first... if he can't score from outside he could let dudes feel his presence more...

They play soft on defense. watch the game last night and you will see what I mean
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#11 » by CoreyGallagher » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:38 am

gdog2004 wrote:
IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Who on the Sixers is soft? Embiid ain't. TJ ain't. Chandler ain't. Jimmy damn-sure ain't. I wouldn't call JJ hard, but prolly not soft. That leaves Moose, Kork, Shamet, Bolden, and yep, Ben. I'm not ready to call Simmons soft, but he ain't hard either. Let him man up a lil more first... if he can't score from outside he could let dudes feel his presence more...

They play soft on defense. watch the game last night and you will see what I mean

Yeah, he said they played soft yesterday and explained what he meant by that and he’s exactly right.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#12 » by Vegeta10176 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:40 am

sfernald wrote:
gdog2004 wrote:they are a little soft. Simmons played great last night, yeah he cant shoot but he does EVERYTHING else.

It most likely the will not be but when they gave it up defo would of thought it was going to be..
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#13 » by Vegeta10176 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:44 am

In the loss on Christmas day to the Celtics Embiid on several occasions got the ball pinched or out rebounded by Kyrie due to a lack of hustle and due to laziness securing the ball I saw this with my own eyes if not for this Sixers win that game.. That said hardly think Simmons was talking about Embiid since he was not playing and he is correct Sixers got out worked did not play hard enough on defence did not box out to get rebounds btw Simmons is an excellent defender but I am sure he would take some of the rap for not being hard enough in the game too.. They clearly need more depth Bradley beal would be perfect.. But they also need a bit more time developing Simmons and Embiid that trade for Fultz was absolute stupidity though as took away assests and future depth to build as round and may cost this team becoming a championship contender which would disappoint..
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,798

Post#14 » by beeshma » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:47 am

I don't understand why Butler felt he had to contradict what Simmons said. Butler could have just voiced his own opinion.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#15 » by Cookin Baskets » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:22 am

Well you could also blame Chandler for missing an easy put back and Simmons needs a damn jump shot for crying out loud!! They could have the best defense in the world, but if they don't the scoring take the pressure off Embiid and Bulter then they are going to have problems come playoff time.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,260

Post#16 » by sfernald » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:17 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
sfernald wrote:

It most likely the will not be but when they gave it up defo would of thought it was going to be..

That’s probably true.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,831

Post#17 » by spree2kawhi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:54 pm

artsncrafts wrote:I dont think they are soft, I just think Simmons is overrated. Need that Embiid factor.

Preach.

Return to Wiretap Discussion