Knicks, Lakers, Magic Discussed Dennis Smith Jr. Trade With Mavs

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Knicks, Lakers, Magic Discussed Dennis Smith Jr. Trade With Mavs 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:41 pm

The Dallas Mavericks had trade talks with several teams last week on a Dennis Smith Jr. deal.

While the Orlando Magic have previously been mentioned as a team that discussed a Smith trade, talks were also held with the New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers.

Smith has since returned to the Mavericks.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

gh123
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Re: Knicks, Lakers, Magic Discussed Dennis Smith Jr. Trade With Mavs 

Post#2 » by gh123 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:58 pm

Don't mind if he stays for next season, but if he's the same inefficient chucker with tunnel vision, then trade him come Dec 15th.
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#3 » by bqmuzik » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:09 pm

What the hell the Lakers gonna do with him? Orlando or NY would be ideal...especially Knicks since they passed on him.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#4 » by Mykhyn » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:23 pm

bqmuzik wrote:What the hell the Lakers gonna do with him? Orlando or NY would be ideal...especially Knicks since they passed on him.

Send him to the Pelicans
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:37 pm

The Knicks trying to collect yet another former, recent, lottery PG for the roster to go with Mudiay. Burke, Ntilikina.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,420

Post#6 » by Revived » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:42 pm

bqmuzik wrote:What the hell the Lakers gonna do with him?

Swap for Lonzo cause LBJ is a huge fan of DSJ.
GMjobZK
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#7 » by GMjobZK » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
bqmuzik wrote:What the hell the Lakers gonna do with him? Orlando or NY would be ideal...especially Knicks since they passed on him.

Send him to the Pelicans

BINGO! Great trade asset for AD to go with the other guys.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#8 » by TheCage4 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:41 pm

I’m surprised Phoenix wasn’t mentioned, as they’ve been tied to multiple PG’s this year. It may be because they do not have the pieces to send back, or are willing to part with.

As for the Knicks, as a born and raised New Yorker and lifelong fan, please don’t send him this way. We have too many guards that are ball dominant with shooter mentalities, and none of which are really efficient.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#9 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:40 pm

No deal! Who DSJ has been incorrigible in Dallas and hasn't shown much in the way of growth professionally. That said the Knicks, Magic, and Suns might be the wrong the teams to be bargaining with... despite their glaring need at point
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#10 » by nedleeds » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:33 pm

The Knicks are thrilled they passed on him. He's a childish malcontent surrounded by idiots and a control freak dad. On court he played no defense last year and has pretty much been a chucker. Then this year he has an opportunity to play with a guy who will basically only make him look better by spoon feeding him open looks and he gets jealous of Luka.

The Knicks are pissed they passed on Donovan Mitchell, not **** DSJ.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,196

Post#11 » by antonac » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:26 am

My snap judgement is to label DSJ's attitude as a problem, but on reflection, he's 21, he was all set to be the guy at his franchise and a year later it's blatantly obvious that's not going to happen.

unless the mavs get their dream fit for Doncic on the table I still think you look at getting him putting more effort in on defense and see where his shooting can get to. He has all the tools to be great next to doncic (physically capable of being a good defender, fast enough to really cause problems off ball and a good finisher, just needs that jump shot).

It's really on him, but the situation he's been put in has been understandably tough, this isn't you're normal ego problem, and I think the Mavs would be wise to give him a little time to adapt and mature.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#12 » by Vegeta10176 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:17 pm

antonac wrote:My snap judgement is to label DSJ's attitude as a problem, but on reflection, he's 21, he was all set to be the guy at his franchise and a year later it's blatantly obvious that's not going to happen.

unless the mavs get their dream fit for Doncic on the table I still think you look at getting him putting more effort in on defense and see where his shooting can get to. He has all the tools to be great next to doncic (physically capable of being a good defender, fast enough to really cause problems off ball and a good finisher, just needs that jump shot).

It's really on him, but the situation he's been put in has been understandably tough, this isn't you're normal ego problem, and I think the Mavs would be wise to give him a little time to adapt and mature.

If your DSJ you got to think that the Luca drafting may have just cost you a max contract down the line.. Though I'd say mavs would be insane to max him Luca or not that said at the time they maxed Harrison barnes..

Return to Wiretap Discussion