Anonymous Warriors Player: Gordon Hayward Is Liability On Both Ends Of Court

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Re: Anonymous Warriors Player: Gordon Hayward Is Liability On Both Ends Of Court 

Post#21 » by streets talking » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:55 pm

trade haywards to the Lakers for zubac wagner
that opens up a roster spot to sign carmelo anthony and bring LALA in LALALAND
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,999

Re: Anonymous Warriors Player: Gordon Hayward Is Liability On Both Ends Of Court 

Post#22 » by spikeslovechild » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:22 pm

The nightmare scenario for the Celtics is that Gordan Hayward decided to come back.

Wouldn't be surprised if Irving leaves too. I know he said he'd resign but he didn't sign up for what the Celtics are right now.
Najee12
Pro Prospect
And1: 878

Journalism and confidential sources 

Post#23 » by Najee12 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:30 pm

alienpick wrote:Don’t you love it when reporters make their own story up with “unnamed” sources?

If you don’t have a quote/source you don’t have a story. You have heresay or rumour. This is not journalism. It’s twelve year old girl lunch room gossip.

As a former journalist who teaches at a university, reporters using unnamed sources has been an established practice nearly as long as there has been journalism. People in sensitive or confidential positions are more willing to give insight into a situation if they can do it anonymously, for fear of retaliation.

In this situation, the player probably did not want to be identified because he didn't want any backlash for criticizing a player who is coming off a serious leg injury. People are going to be more likely to defend Gordon Hayward because he nearly destroyed his ankle one year ago and he still is recovering (not to mention he likely doesn't want such backlash end up where he has a meeting with the Warriors front office about his comments).
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous
Whetzell
Junior
And1: 96

Post#24 » by Whetzell » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:40 pm

Remember those 6 games Paul George played at the end of the season where he played sorta crappy after his injury. Gordon is a little bit beyond that point but he will be fine. They're playing him not because he's great right now but because they need to give him minutes to return to form. This will pay dividends when he wins them games in the playoffs.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,834

Post#25 » by basketballRob » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm not saying who the anonymous player is but his initials are K.I.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,209

Post#26 » by anatomicbomb » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:01 pm

basketballRob wrote:I'm not saying who the anonymous player is but his initials are K.I.

Kyrie is on the Warriors?

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#27 » by John Murdoch » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:22 pm

Sounds just like Jerebko tbh
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,834

Post#28 » by basketballRob » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:34 pm

Meanwhile the Jazz are as good as the Celtics.
watpho71
Junior
And1: 111

Post#29 » by watpho71 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:56 pm

Draymond still bitter losing to the Butler Bulldogs in the Final Four.
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#30 » by GaaBaaBoo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:17 pm

Sounds like McCaw.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#31 » by Donnyxc » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:46 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:The nightmare scenario for the Celtics is that Gordan Hayward decided to come back.

Wouldn't be surprised if Irving leaves too. I know he said he'd resign but he didn't sign up for what the Celtics are right now.

The funny thing about this is that the Celtics almost beat the full strentgh Warriors, and are playing very good basketball this season. Look at their record and net rating.

The situation with the chemistry is overhyped. They will figure it out, and Gordon will also get better with time.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#32 » by likashing » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:42 pm

Which Warrior player is so friendly with a Celtics local reporter that he openly insults the play of a fellow NBA player recovering from a bad injury and also a former All Star?

To be honest, the Warriors players are more likely to give fake praises than saying stuff like this regarding an opponent.

This sounds more like what some reporter / Celtics player felt and blamed it on an "anonymous Warrior".
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,331

Re: Journalism and confidential sources 

Post#33 » by jokeboy86 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Najee12 wrote:
alienpick wrote:Don’t you love it when reporters make their own story up with “unnamed” sources?

If you don’t have a quote/source you don’t have a story. You have heresay or rumour. This is not journalism. It’s twelve year old girl lunch room gossip.

As a former journalist who teaches at a university, reporters using unnamed sources has been an established practice nearly as long as there has been journalism. People in sensitive or confidential positions are more willing to give insight into a situation if they can do it anonymously, for fear of retaliation.

In this situation, the player probably did not want to be identified because he didn't want any backlash for criticizing a player who is coming off a serious leg injury. People are going to be more likely to defend Gordon Hayward because he nearly destroyed his ankle one year ago and he still is recovering (not to mention he likely doesn't want such backlash end up where he has a meeting with the Warriors front office about his comments).

Yeah but in modern sports journalism you dont have to have any credibility and there’s no accountability because sports is considered entertainment and no one cares about what’s a lie and what isn’t in entertainment news. If this were a news story from a random political blog, it would be much more scrutinized or dismissed then if it came from the NYT, WSJ, or WaPo. You can make up fake news in sports and nobody blinks.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#34 » by The_Hater » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Considering he badly Hayward played against them, then I’m not sure it needed to be said. He was awful. But he has had a few games recently where he’s played great.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#35 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:35 pm

draftbarnes wrote:the Celtics have a net rating of +1.4 when Hayward is on the floor. When he’s off the floor though this has increased to a +11.4. That’s a full 10 points per 100 possessions better when Hayward is on the bench.

Wow. ouch I'll offer the pelicans 7future first round picks, 10 seconds, hayward for davis
Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#36 » by Mosdefinition » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:21 pm

It's draymonds overrated a$$
Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#37 » by Mosdefinition » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:22 pm

DannyAingeIsGod wrote:
draftbarnes wrote:the Celtics have a net rating of +1.4 when Hayward is on the floor. When he’s off the floor though this has increased to a +11.4. That’s a full 10 points per 100 possessions better when Hayward is on the bench.

Wow. ouch I'll offer the pelicans 7future first round picks, 10 seconds, hayward for davis

They can't trade for him until july
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Re: Journalism and confidential sources 

Post#38 » by alienpick » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:03 pm

Najee12 wrote:

I’ll defer to your expertise on journalism, but this is also not some deep hidden scandal that this reporter broke. It’s basically just someone said something bad about Gordon, but I can’t say who. It’s just school yard childish gossip. No truth was exposed, we can all see Gordon play. Even he knows he’s not up to his standard. All this is is an annoymous attack on Hayward. Gordon gets his feelings hurt by some random shot from the dark. He can’t even face his attacker. It’s poor journalism, ethically.

Also, I understand people open up more off the record; but there’s a credibility issue relying on unnamed sources. Now if the truth, when exposed, backs you up, fine; but there’s a slippery slope saying things that you know can’t be proven or disproven. This reporter probably isn’t lying. I believe their story is plausible, But it’s childish and weak reporting. I’m sure even an expert in journalism would agree.

Return to Wiretap Discussion