Anthony Davis Fined $50K By NBA For Public Trade Demand

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Anthony Davis Fined $50K By NBA For Public Trade Demand 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:33 pm

Anthony Davis has been fined $50,000 by the NBA after his agent Rich Paul publicly demanded a trade from the New Orleans Pelicans.

The league's collective bargaining agreement prevents players or their agents from publicly demanding trades.

Paul told Adrian Wojnarowski on Monday that Davis "wants to be traded to a team that allows him a chance to win consistently and compete for a championship."

The NBA said that Paul's comments were "an intentional effort to undermine the contractual relationship between Davis and the Pelicans."

Via ESPN

Vlaikone
Ballboy
And1: 10

Re: Anthony Davis Fined $50K By NBA For Public Trade Demand 

Post#2 » by Vlaikone » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:47 pm

That's the equivalent of telling him 'Hey, that's not cool'
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#3 » by tigerae » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:14 am

Hmm, I don't remember PG13, Kyrie, Kawhi and the rest of the players who have demanded trades in the last few years getting fined for their trade demand becoming public.

Seems like they are as inconsistent as ever. Some players get away with travels, kicking their legs out on shots, initiating contact, using their butts to screen, going completely out of bounds, demanding trades and some don't.

All I'm asking for is consistency, the fine is loose change to AD and I'm sure the agent will take care of the fine anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935T using RealGM mobile app
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#4 » by kenwood3333 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:35 am

What about Jimmy Butler and his well publicized trade demand drama show?
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#5 » by likashing » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:38 am

Lol I like it. We all know at the end of all investigations, the Lakers won't be found guilty of tampering. Teams are frustrated on how LeBron Inc runs business since 5-6 years ago. They think they run the league and forces teams to sign their clients/friends to overpriced contracts (TT/JR), and force teams to give them favors (KCP). Being passive aggressive and leaking rumors to get coaches fired etc, and then act like "I am just a player I am not involved in anything."

Rich is marketing his prowess on how he plays hard ball and gets whatever he wants from the league, and that was how he convinced AD to go with him. Fining AD directly is an act of embarrassment on LeBron Inc. Chump change ya and I am sure LeBron Inc will pay AD back. But embarrassment nonetheless.

What I am sure is Rich and LeBron will wrap it as owners' master mentality and shove it down AD's throat. They are pretty good at brainwashing players though noticing Noel is still with them after all that :lol:
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,318

Post#6 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:52 am

Read on Twitter
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#7 » by Vegeta10176 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:12 am

likashing wrote:Lol I like it. We all know at the end of all investigations, the Lakers won't be found guilty of tampering. Teams are frustrated on how LeBron Inc runs business since 5-6 years ago. They think they run the league and forces teams to sign their clients/friends to overpriced contracts (TT/JR), and force teams to give them favors (KCP). Being passive aggressive and leaking rumors to get coaches fired etc, and then act like "I am just a player I am not involved in anything."

Rich is marketing his prowess on how he plays hard ball and gets whatever he wants from the league, and that was how he convinced AD to go with him. Fining AD directly is an act of embarrassment on LeBron Inc. Chump change ya and I am sure LeBron Inc will pay AD back. But embarrassment nonetheless.

What I am sure is Rich and LeBron will wrap it as owners' master mentality and shove it down AD's throat. They are pretty good at brainwashing players though noticing Noel is still with them after all that :lol:

So your kool with Draymond recruiting Durant all the year he was at OKC and admitting to it.. Not sure how LBJ not signing till he gets Dan Gilbert to sign his team mates he just won a championship with is bad not an agent who gets his clients the best deal possible... You sound like someone who just hates on LBJ because you know he is the best player to have ever played but dont want to admit it..
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#8 » by Rek » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:13 am

tigerae wrote:Hmm, I don't remember PG13, Kyrie, Kawhi and the rest of the players who have demanded trades in the last few years getting fined for their trade demand becoming public.

Jimmy Butler as well - quite simply because none of them are represented by Rich Paul. The Pelicans' request for the league office to investigate this was all about small market owners wanting Silver and his team to push back on Klutch Sports. The league tries to satisfy them by assessing a fine (Oh lord, how will he ever afford 50k lmao!) while knowing full well they won't do anything further.

The whole situation is ridiculous. New Orleans had all the time in the world to add some good players around Davis and failed miserably. If they want to point fingers about AD wanting out - they need to focus on a mirror and nothing else. The notion that the timing of his trade request contributes to tampering is laughable. It's not a secret which date is the trade deadline. The notion that Rich Paul making the request public is paramount to tampering is equally laughable. If the league was truly concerned about these types of things - there wouldn't be any such thing as a "Woj Bomb". How do they think he gets all of his insider info?
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#9 » by Rek » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:28 am

kenwood3333 wrote:What about Jimmy Butler and his well publicized trade demand drama show?

Didn't involve Klutch Sports. Nothing to see here.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#10 » by Jedzz » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:24 am

Vlaikone wrote:That's the equivalent of telling him 'Hey, that's not cool'

It just paid for the medical coverage of a couple league office personnel if nothing else. I always like the idea of forcing a player to sit out a year when they break contract or force their way out of one.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#11 » by BigTex » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:31 am

Well, I stand corrected. I still find it hard to believe that a player saying that he's not going to resign with a team and stating the obvious (trade me if you don't want to loose your ass) is tampering. It's stating the obvious. But it's their league, they can pass any rule they want, I guess.

Would it be tampering if AD said, "Today I have informed the management of the New Orleans Pelicans that I will not be resigning with them when my current contract expires. I have done this so they can make appropriate decisions to protect the value of the team, and act accordingly regarding my employment and other personnel moves between now an the summer of 2020. I want to make clear that I'm not demanding a trade, as I understand that would be considered "tampering" under league rules. In that regard, I would respectfully ask the press not to ask what otherwise are very obvious questions concerning my future employment with the Pelicans as I'm uncertain how I can answer these questions without the risk of being fined."

It's a ridiculous rule in this context.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#12 » by likashing » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:37 am

BigTex wrote:Well, I stand corrected. I still find it hard to believe that a player saying that he's not going to resign with a team and stating the obvious (trade me if you don't want to loose your ass) is tampering. It's stating the obvious. But it's their league, they can pass any rule they want, I guess.

Would it be tampering if AD said, "Today I have informed the management of the New Orleans Pelicans that I will not be resigning with them when my current contract expires. I have done this so they can make appropriate decisions to protect the value of the team, and act accordingly regarding my employment and other personnel moves between now an the summer of 2020. I want to make clear that I'm not demanding a trade, as I understand that would be considered "tampering" under league rules. In that regard, I would respectfully ask the press not to ask what otherwise are very obvious questions concerning my future employment with the Pelicans as I'm uncertain how I can answer these questions without the risk of being fined."

According to the article it says the CBA "prevents players or their agents from publicly demanding trades". AD did not get fined because of tampering. Whether the Lakers tampered is a completely separate issue.

Telling your current team you want out is not publicly demanding trades.

Telling your current team you want out and then have "anonymous sources" leaking the info is not publicly demanding trades.

Rich Paul telling WoJ and telling WoJ it is ok to say Rich Paul told you so that AD wants out, is publicly demanding a trade.

If anything, it just shows LeBron Inc being incompetent and not knowing the rules. Just a minor slap on his face. $50k is no big deal.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#13 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:28 am

Wow, thats a toxic relationship. The pelicans just fined their own player 50K
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
jk31
Rookie
And1: 668

Post#14 » by jk31 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:16 am

BigTex wrote:Well, I stand corrected. I still find it hard to believe that a player saying that he's not going to resign with a team and stating the obvious (trade me if you don't want to loose your ass) is tampering. It's stating the obvious. But it's their league, they can pass any rule they want, I guess.

But if you do what Davis has done, you really damage your trade value and by doing so you punish your current franchise.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#15 » by BarneyGumble » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:24 pm

This is dumb. Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler acted like selfish entitled 3 year olds and refused to even play games even though they were under contract. Davis has been 100% professional all the way....even saying the right things until it was time to let the Pellies know his intentions so they can begin to plan.

The NBA feels it has a charge to hand-hold the Pellie's ownership group since that dumpster fire of a franchise was on the brink of collapse before David Stern brokered a deal to the new owner that included the #1 pick....Anthony Davis. If you recall, Stern also blocked a lopsided trade of CP3 to the Lakers made by the dumpster fire's GM in order to protect the new owner from getting fleeced. This feels the same.....I can just imagine Pellie's ownership calling Adam Silver on the phone "you bastards promised us a generational talent for life if we bought the team! Unacceptable! Tampering! Enforcement please!!!!" hahahahahhah :lol:

Return to Wiretap Discussion