Elton Brand Apologizes To Magic Johnson For Ben Simmons Story

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Elton Brand Apologizes To Magic Johnson For Ben Simmons Story 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Elton Brand called Magic Johnson to apologize for insinuating the Los Angeles Lakers called unprompted to receive permission for Johnson to speak with Ben Simmons.

In the interview with 97.5 The Fanatic on Monday morning, Brand said, "[Lakers GM] Rob Pelinka called me and said that Ben wanted to talk to Hall of Famers after the season; Magic was on the list. He asked for authorization ... I said no."

Brand didn't mention that someone from the 76ers contacted Pelinka first at the urging of one of Simmons' brothers.

The Lakers issued a statement later Monday that read: "To clarify, last November the 76ers sent an email to the Lakers asking if Ben Simmons would be able to speak with Magic Johnson about his Hall of Fame playing career. After receiving the email request from the 76ers, Lakers General Manager Rob Pelinka contacted 76ers General Manager Elton Brand and informed him that Magic could only do so if the 76ers gave him pre-written approval. That was the end of the matter."

Brand told ESPN earlier Monday that Simmons simply wanted the Sixers to help him facilitate "chatting with some of the game's all-time greats."

"No issue," Brand told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. "I have a great relationship with Ben and [his agent] Rich [Paul] and we expect him to be a Sixer for a long time. He has taken interest in chatting with some of the game's all-time greats and we're supportive.

"I had brief dialogue with Rob Pelinka, who I've known for a long time, but nothing is planned. Our collective focus is on making a postseason push. Again, we're not sweating this -- end of story."

Via Ramona Shelburne/ESPN

Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Re: Elton Brand Apologizes To Magic Johnson For Ben Simmons Story 

Post#2 » by Rek » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:10 pm

Clearly fake news. Everyone knows Magic is always guilty of tampering, somehow.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#3 » by BigHustle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Damage control from Magic. Don’t see a big apology in there at all from EB.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#4 » by BigTex » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:36 pm

Good job on Brand's part promptly to apologize. He should also apologize directly to Simmons and also find out why he was out of the loop. Makes the 76er's front office look extremely unorganized.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#5 » by kenwood3333 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:05 pm

Sounds like some behind the scene stuff going on involving Simmons, Rich Paul and Magic and they try to cover it up with 'asking big for big guard advise' bs.
CH Smoot
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#6 » by CH Smoot » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:57 am

kenwood3333 wrote:Sounds like some behind the scene stuff going on involving Simmons, Rich Paul and Magic and they try to cover it up with 'asking big for big guard advise' bs.

Yep, which the Sixers are totally cool with. I can see why Elton Brand would encourage teams to tamper with his players. I mean, it makes sense. Genius even.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#7 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:22 am

Hard to say who's really at fault here, but if I'm Brand I'm at least a little bitter I was kept out of the loop. I'm also looking for the individual(s) on the Sixers who instigated the call to the Lakers FO. Good on Brand for apologizing. Admit there was a snafu and move on ... he looks better for it. As for the Lakers. Yes they are tampering and should be disciplined. Severly. This is not their first offense, nor their second, and in California we have a fairly strict 3-strikes policy...
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#8 » by puja21 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:28 am

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Brand said, "[Lakers GM] Rob Pelinka called me and said that Ben wanted to talk to Hall of Famers after the season

What is he apologizing for ?

Brand's statement on the radio specifically implies that Ben Simmons contacted Pelinka first

Don't understand why all these articles keep saying the "Lakers story was 'different' than Brand's because Sixers initiated"

If Brand says "Pelinka told me Ben wanted to talk,'" doesn't that logically mean Simmons (through the conduit of his brothers) had to talk to Lakers first to tell Pelinka that?
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#9 » by BigTex » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:31 am

puja21 wrote:
RealGM Wiretap wrote:Brand said, "[Lakers GM] Rob Pelinka called me and said that Ben wanted to talk to Hall of Famers after the season

What is he apologizing for ?

Brand's statement on the radio specifically implies that Ben Simmons contacted Pelinka first

Don't understand why all these articles keep saying the "Lakers story was 'different' than Brand's because Sixers initiated"

If Brand says "Pelinka told me Ben wanted to talk,'" doesn't that logically mean Simmons (through the conduit of his brothers) had to talk to Lakers first to tell Pelinka that?

"To clarify, last November the 76ers sent an email to the Lakers asking if Ben Simmons would be able to speak with Magic Johnson about his Hall of Fame playing career. After receiving the email request from the 76ers, Lakers General Manager Rob Pelinka contacted 76ers General Manager Elton Brand and informed him that Magic could only do so if the 76ers gave him pre-written approval. That was the end of the matter."
CycklopsGT
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,729

Post#10 » by CycklopsGT » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:18 am

The conspiracy is still strong here. Ben is a Klutch Sports client, so having his "brother" ask for this is just another way to do it.

Return to Wiretap Discussion