Sources: Pelicans Wanted To Sit Anthony Davis For Remainder Of Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Sources: Pelicans Wanted To Sit Anthony Davis For Remainder Of Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:07 pm

The New Orleans Pelicans attempted to block Anthony Davis from playing in another game with the franchise, according to "a litany of sources" that spoke with Scott Kushner of The Advocate.

The NBA and NBPA, however, pressured the Pelicans to continue playing Davis despite his trade request.

Davis made a trade request shortly before the deadline, but the Pelicans opted not to execute a deal and will instead wait until the offseason to resolve the situation.

Alvin Gentry has reached the point where he doesn't want to speak about the Davis situation anymore.

“We have to get to a point where we are not bringing this up every time I step in front of the camera,” Gentry said. “To be honest with you, most of the answers, if you want them, you have to go to him and ask them. Whatever our new normal is, we want to get back to that. We want to put this stuff behind us.”

Via Scott Kushner/The Advocate

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,941

Re: Sources: Pelicans Wanted To Sit Anthony Davis For Remainder Of Season 

Post#2 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:27 pm

ugly situation.

they'll mutually agree to an injury soon.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#3 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Double edged sword.
He plays and gets hurt everyone loses.

Why should NO feel pressure, or give in to pressure? They should sit his ass for not wanting to be there, tank and start over at the draft. Seems like the best way to turn it around without a complete rebuild. Are the players that come over in the trade going to be excited and willing to play there? Lots of action going to happen this summer.

All these build you own teams are starting to ruin the NBA.
Next time they sign a 5 year max deal, Silver should make them honor it both ways.
Oncloud9
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#4 » by Oncloud9 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:45 pm

The league is punishing NO for not bowing to the pressure to trade AD. The league wanted the trade to occur. The league could have stated that the appearance of impropriety caused damage to the league and a trade would be vetoed. Remember that was Sterns argument on the CP3 to the Lakers trade.

Where was the fine when Jimmy didn't suit up in Minnesota?
Where is the fine for the Grizz sitting Parsons?
Where is the fine for the Cavs sitting JR?
Where is the fine for the Kings sitting Randloph?

I'm sure there is a clause in the player contract that stipulates the player must not act in a manner detrimental to the organization. Were I the owner of the Pels, I'd suspend AD from play for the remainder of the season for the damage he has caused the brand. I'd also be lanuching a lawsuit against the league, AD, AD's agent, Magic, and the Lakers to recover financial damages for the irreparable harm caused to the organization.
Bricks
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#5 » by Bricks » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:39 pm

NBA needs to fix their league completely, tanking for picks, players holding fans and teams hostage, all while making millions. This current success is all due to the fans, players need to keep that in check.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#6 » by likashing » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Rich and LeBron just mind **** AD so LeBron can get the 8th seed in the West playoffs. Now that the Clippers are tanking and LeBron's only obstacle are the Kings/T-Wolves/Mavs :lol:
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 548

Post#7 » by MVP1992 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:12 pm

Old story rehashed?

Why not send him to Go League to mind **** everyone obsessed about this rubbish...
Mr. Biden shot back: “You’ve got more questions? Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t Black.”
BBE
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#8 » by BBE » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:40 pm

The Pelicans make no sense. If I'm an employer....and I am, when I can tell a guy doesn't want to be here, or he lets me know he's looking to find something better, I immediately start looking for his replacement, and as soon as I find it, I let him go. I'm not into paying him to do NOTHING for any longer than I have to as that makes no sense for me financially, not to mention the moral hit the rest of the crew takes. If they were just going to sit him for the rest of the year, they should have dealt him before the trade deadline.
Dino-Might
Sixth Man
And1: 2,177

Post#9 » by Dino-Might » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:27 pm

BBE wrote:The Pelicans make no sense. If I'm an employer....and I am, when I can tell a guy doesn't want to be here, or he lets me know he's looking to find something better, I immediately start looking for his replacement, and as soon as I find it, I let him go. I'm not into paying him to do NOTHING for any longer than I have to as that makes no sense for me financially, not to mention the moral hit the rest of the crew takes. If they were just going to sit him for the rest of the year, they should have dealt him before the trade deadline.

This is not really a valid comparison because in most industries, employees are not assets that can be traded for other assets.

If the Pelicans felt that they could get a better deal done in the summer, of course it makes sense not to rush into an inferior deal.
Game, blouses.
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Post#10 » by YelloC » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:58 pm

Another negative to this whole situation is that the Pels were starting to develop Okafor.
Now they are forced to give those minutes to Davis while putting their future on hold for a player that doesn’t want to be there.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#11 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:11 am

Why can't they just DNP-CD him like any other player? Is there something in the rules that states if you're a star player you aren't allowed to be benched? I don't understand.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#12 » by artsncrafts » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:30 am

BBE wrote:The Pelicans make no sense. If I'm an employer....and I am, when I can tell a guy doesn't want to be here, or he lets me know he's looking to find something better, I immediately start looking for his replacement, and as soon as I find it, I let him go. I'm not into paying him to do NOTHING for any longer than I have to as that makes no sense for me financially, not to mention the moral hit the rest of the crew takes. If they were just going to sit him for the rest of the year, they should have dealt him before the trade deadline.

A valid example using your situation would be if your 1 employee that didnt want to be there made 50% of your sales. He wont leave if you dont fire him but if you fire him you will lose all of his clients and sales and your company will not profit again for 5 years.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Post#13 » by KGdaBom » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:37 am

They didn't find his replacement. Davis has a right to play and benching a healthy Davis who may be the best player in the NBA is a black eye to the league. Penalties should be severe for any player or team leaking a demand to be traded. I mean severe. Penalties up to half the players remaining salary or multiple first round picks taken away. Then we wouldn't know about these trade demands and the fans would still be excited to see Brow playing for them.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#14 » by KGdaBom » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:39 am

artsncrafts wrote:

A valid example using your situation would be if your 1 employee that didnt want to be there made 50% of your sales. He wont leave if you dont fire him but if you fire him you will lose all of his clients and sales and your company will not profit again for 5 years.

Great analogy.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#15 » by Sam195 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:27 am

AD and Rich Paul are clowns if you want to make a trade request you do it early in the offseason where you don't have to deal with the media asking questions (because you are not playing) but the organization still has to. Kyrie did it right when he asked the Cavs for a trade and he got moved right before training camp started to Boston. Same goes for Paul George even if he landed in OKC instead of the lakers. AD's mess is very similar to Carmelo who forced a trade out of Denver to the knicks (because he wanted to ink a guaranteed max extension with signing bonus before impending 2011 lockout) and Dwight Howard who demanded a trade to Brooklyn (which didn't happen by the deadline and he opted for back surgery to sit out the rest of the season something he could have had in the offseason and still be ready by training camp). Both Melo and Dwight Howard as well as Jimmy Butler have all negatively hurt their public perception (likability) and marketability with fans due to their selfishness and their ill fated trade requests. Vince Carter in his prime pulled the same crap with the raptors. Anthony Davis whether he is a pelican, a laker, a celtic or something else is a member of that club now.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#16 » by Vegeta10176 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:12 am

Sam195 wrote:AD and Rich Paul are clowns if you want to make a trade request you do it early in the offseason where you don't have to deal with the media asking questions (because you are not playing) but the organization still has to. Kyrie did it right when he asked the Cavs for a trade and he got moved right before training camp started to Boston. Same goes for Paul George even if he landed in OKC instead of the lakers. AD's mess is very similar to Carmelo who forced a trade out of Denver to the knicks (because he wanted to ink a guaranteed max extension with signing bonus before impending 2011 lockout) and Dwight Howard who demanded a trade to Brooklyn (which didn't happen by the deadline and he opted for back surgery to sit out the rest of the season something he could have had in the offseason and still be ready by training camp). Both Melo and Dwight Howard as well as Jimmy Butler have all negatively hurt their public perception (likability) and marketability with fans due to their selfishness and their ill fated trade requests. Vince Carter in his prime pulled the same crap with the raptors. Anthony Davis whether he is a pelican, a laker, a celtic or something else is a member of that club now.

Kyrie left it so late PG13 was at OKC so no chance go execute a trade PG13 for Kyrie which would of been good for the Cavs.... Also Kyrie threatened to have knee surgery in order to get traded ironically he missed playoffs with the celtics anyway so probably should of had that surgery earlier..
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Post#17 » by spree2kawhi » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:04 am

MagicStarwipe wrote:Why can't they just DNP-CD him like any other player? Is there something in the rules that states if you're a star player you aren't allowed to be benched? I don't understand.

Exactly, coach should argue he's disrupted team chemistry and they're playing better with Okafor. Develop him, sub Davis in for 15 minutes. **** it.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:28 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

They didn't find his replacement. Davis has a right to play and benching a healthy Davis who may be the best player in the NBA is a black eye to the league. Penalties should be severe for any player or team leaking a demand to be traded. I mean severe. Penalties up to half the players remaining salary or multiple first round picks taken away. Then we wouldn't know about these trade demands and the fans would still be excited to see Brow playing for them.

I agree, however the problem is these fans that will continue to cheer for him not knowing he doesn't want to be here feel betrayed once a trade does go down.
Imagine if you renewed your season tickets only to find out your favorite player on the team and the one you PAID to see is leaving. Because they will sell as many as possible knowing he's not going to be there.
Who would you blame? FO or the player?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#19 » by KGdaBom » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:12 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I agree, however the problem is these fans that will continue to cheer for him not knowing he doesn't want to be here feel betrayed once a trade does go down.
Imagine if you renewed your season tickets only to find out your favorite player on the team and the one you PAID to see is leaving. Because they will sell as many as possible knowing he's not going to be there.

Any player has a good potential to leave in the last year of their contract. Before purchasing season tickets it is on the fan to perform due diligence. The fans who paid for season tickets for this season shouldn't be deprived of seeing Davis play this year.
I enjoyed every minute of KG's and Kevin Love's time with the Wolves. I didn't feel betrayed by the departure of either. I did feel betrayed by Butler, because he was under contract and made a total A$$ of himself.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:29 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:They didn't find his replacement. Davis has a right to play and benching a healthy Davis who may be the best player in the NBA is a black eye to the league. Penalties should be severe for any player or team leaking a demand to be traded. I mean severe. Penalties up to half the players remaining salary or multiple first round picks taken away. Then we wouldn't know about these trade demands and the fans would still be excited to see Brow playing for them.

Any player has a good potential to leave in the last year of their contract. Before purchasing season tickets it is on the fan to perform due diligence before purchasing season tickets. The fans who paid for season tickets for this season shouldn't be deprived of seeing Davis play this year.
I enjoyed every minute of KG's and Kevin Love's time with the Wolves. I didn't feel betrayed by the departure of either. I did feel betrayed by Butler, because he was under contract and made a total A$$ of himself.

Okay fair point.
KG was traded so that was on the FO. Love was acting like a brat so I didn't mind him leaving.
I didn't want Butler to begin with.

Return to Wiretap Discussion