Adam Silver On Tampering: Nobody In NBA Wants To Live In Police State

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Adam Silver On Tampering: Nobody In NBA Wants To Live In Police State 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:42 am

Adam Silver was asked during his All-Star Game media availability about the issues of tampering and trade requests. The question posed whether there are sufficient tools available to the NBA on the issue.

Both topics have been a topic of conversation of late due to the trade request of Anthony Davis.

"I try to look at that issue in terms of historical context of this league," said Silver. "You know, trade demands and tampering are two very different topics. I mean, certainly when it comes to tampering, I believe the League has all the tools needed in order to investigate and potentially prosecute, so to speak, a tampering claim. I believe that within our rules the people at the League office who are in charge of those areas do a terrific job. It’s not to say that there isn’t some conversation that the League office isn’t aware of, and I think we draw appropriate lines because nobody who’s part of the NBA wants to live in a police state either. So within reason, I think we’re doing a good job enforcing our rules.

"In terms of trade demands, again, certainly, that’s nothing new in this league, and I won’t name names, but some of the greatest players in the history of this league have demanded trades at various points in their contract. Having said that, no one likes to see an instance where a player is demanding that he be traded when he still is in the middle of a contractual obligation to a team. It’s one of the reasons why, in the most recent case, I fined the player, even though it wasn’t the player, but his agent, who demanded that trade.

"I recognize that there’s very little I’m going to do to ever stop that completely. I think this goes back to the earlier question, though, about the system elements, and I think the question is, can we do a better job creating a league in which the competition is fair for all 30 teams? I do think over time we will do an even better job there. I mean, I will say that every situation is a bit unique, and I think that there’s a tendency to sort of quickly decide who’s at fault in those situations, and ultimately, as we look at any individual situation as a League office, generally, they’re a little bit more complex than people might understand.

"But I would just say, blanketly, no, I don’t like trade demands, and I wish they didn’t come, and I wish all those matters were handled behind closed doors. But don’t forget, even part of it maybe, the League has to take responsibility. In the most recent collective bargaining agreement, the thought was teams should be able to be in a position to extend a year early, so that a player didn’t reach the end of his contract and then a team was then in a position where they were blind-sided and say, well, we had no idea the player wasn’t going to stay. And the notion of extending a year earlier is so you could have that conversation with the player, and the player told you behind closed doors, of course, “I’m going to honor my contract, but I don’t plan on staying at the end of it.” The team would be in a position to get fair value for the player.

"Once again, the law of unintended consequences, it hasn’t worked as precisely as we had planned. That’s another area we have to focus on."

Via RealGM Staff Report

IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Re: Adam Silver On Tampering: Nobody In NBA Wants To Live In Police State 

Post#2 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:28 am

Dude's got a silver tongue
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#3 » by the_process » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:12 am

How ******* ironic that Dave Silver talks about unintended consequences right after he forced through his lottery reform through.

Just wait until the unintended consequences of that take shape.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#4 » by Lalouie » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:28 am

"state police"?...really?
as hyperbolic an exclamation as lebron's plantation rants.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#5 » by Furinkazan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:08 pm

how I see this guy
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#7 » by Ben Simmons » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Silver is basically saying he's a very weak man with no intention of policing the Lakers :x
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 740

Post#8 » by Hold That » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:36 pm

Heidi4Ben wrote:Silver is basically saying he's a very weak man with no intention of policing the Lakers :x

Or he’s saying he’s not going go to get in the business of blocking players from going to a team they want to play for.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#9 » by worthlessBucks » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Same guy who forced an owner to sell based on a private, secretly recorded conversation?

*not an endorsement in the slightest for said owner or anything heinous uttered by said owner...just interesting. Their business, they're going to do what they're going to do for league revenue, which includes allowing players to dictate where they get to play. Money, money, money.
Go Bucks!
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#10 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:28 pm

worthlessBucks wrote:Same guy who forced an owner to sell based on a private, secretly recorded conversation?

*not an endorsement in the slightest for said owner or anything heinous uttered by said owner...just interesting. Their business, they're going to do what they're going to do for league revenue, which includes allowing players to dictate where they get to play. Money, money, money.

Being Lebron's bitch...
From the day 1, NBA served for Lebron. Ref protection, giving undeserved ROY award, letting travelling etc in playoffs.
Giving 3 1st picks in 4 years to Cavs to prepare for homecoming theme.
Now saying we cant do anything for Davis...

if they were a fair organization they'd even investigate Chandler trade.
What was the incentive of PHX? LeGM's buddy GM's giving him gifts...
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#11 » by oceanlife » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:05 pm

worthlessBucks wrote:Same guy who forced an owner to sell based on a private, secretly recorded conversation?

Agreed but the NBA was in an impossible spot with that situation.

What's funny about that girl V. Stiviano is how bad her backstabbing ways worked out for her. She was around 30 years old and had a billionaire sugar daddy who would die before she was 45 and she could live her life in luxury. As far as THOT's go she won the jackpot of life, but she still wanted more. So some LA guys (*cough Magic*) started introducing her around to other men and she thought she could screw over Sterling and be with another rich guy and be called a hero for it.

Except after it went down she was a persona non-grata among any affluent men, she was over 30 years old and losing her looks fast, and was successfully sued by Sterlings Ex-Wife for two million dollars which left her broke. I'm not sure where she is now, but Sterling is off running around with 22 year old blonde girls and billions of dollars and she is a broke single lady who will be pushing 40 soon.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,539

Post#12 » by dice » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:51 am

ozwizard8 wrote:

Being Lebron's bitch...
From the day 1, NBA served for Lebron. Ref protection, giving undeserved ROY award, letting travelling etc in playoffs.
Giving 3 1st picks in 4 years to Cavs to prepare for homecoming theme.
Now saying we cant do anything for Davis...

if they were a fair organization they'd even investigate Chandler trade.
What was the incentive of PHX? LeGM's buddy GM's giving him gifts...

1) allowing players to dictate where they play HURTS the business of the league because it decreases parity. the "money, money, money" argument falls flat here
2) wtf are you talking about w/ the undeserved ROY award and "letting travelling in playoffs"?
3) there is no rigged lottery. people need to stop with that horse****
4) what do you want him to do about AD? give him a much larger fine? unless it's written into the CBA, the players association ain't gonna go for that
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#13 » by dice » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:53 am

Heidi4Ben wrote:Silver is basically saying he's a very weak man with no intention of policing the Lakers :x

police them how? every remotely suspicious public comment they've made has been investigated/fined. which is ridiculous to begin with. any team should be able to openly talk about any player they damn well please to. what is restricting that accomplishing, exactly? A: absolutely nothing
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#14 » by dice » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:54 am

Furinkazan wrote:Image

how I see this guy

and what exactly are you suggesting that he is fraudulently selling?
dice
RealGM

Post#15 » by dice » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:56 am

the_process wrote:How ******* ironic that Dave Silver talks about unintended consequences right after he forced through his lottery reform through.

Just wait until the unintended consequences of that take shape.

what, like more 30 win teams winning the lotto? the league obviously doesn't care about that as much as they care about tanking
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#16 » by Ben Simmons » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:23 am

dice wrote:

police them how? every remotely suspicious public comment they've made has been investigated/fined. which is ridiculous to begin with. any team should be able to openly talk about any player they damn well please to. what is restricting that accomplishing, exactly? A: absolutely nothing

but the fine isn't worth anything to them, so why not take away their draft picks? :nod:
Oncloud9
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#17 » by Oncloud9 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:11 pm

The 4yr/5y max contracts have unintended consequences and both teams and players are discovering the downsides.

Players discover the long contract can be a millstone tying them to a franchise that is unable/unwilling to build a championship team around them. Teams have discovered that they are left with millstones when they build around a player only to be left when the star player bolts, or injury destroys the talent of the player, leaving teams reticent to offer the max.

Shorter contracts will become the norm. Teams will be built around rookie contracts, undrafted development players and short term vets. Players will become mercenaries with no loyalty to or from a team and teams will have regular turnover. Teams that have drafted or developed a strong base talent that has young super star potential will sign mercenary pieces if they believe that they can construct a serious challenger otherwise they'll they'll sit out big signings. The disparity in salaries will grow exponentially with the contracts offered the majority of players being vet minimum rate 1+1 types.

The top player talent will shop for championship possible locations but only sign short term as LeBron did in Cleveland or KD in GS but the mid tier talent will lose out.

Return to Wiretap Discussion