Damian Lillard: 'I'm Not Willing To Sell Myself Out' To Win Title

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Damian Lillard: 'I'm Not Willing To Sell Myself Out' To Win Title 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:36 am

Commenting on the trend of stars requesting trades, Damian Lillard stated that there's more important things to him than winning a title. 

"I do want to win a championship but there's other stuff that means more to me. It's almost like I'm not willing to sell myself out for that," said Lillard.

Lillard added that he wants to win a title in the right way. 

"I want to win a championship, I compete to win a championship, but I've learned that it's about so many other things. I think a lot of people tell you just because you go out and win a championship...And then they look back and they're like 'man, this happened because of that, this happened because of that.' When my career is over and I know the relationships that I'm gonna have, I'm going to know the people who knew I was solid with them...That I did it the right way."

Via Kevin Skiver/CBS Sports

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Re: Damian Lillard: 'I'm Not Willing To Sell Myself Out' To Win Title 

Post#2 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:36 am

Portland, Oregon is a perfect place. The Pacific northwest is chill, with no expectations. Lovable happy campers. And deep pockets to pay MAX contract. Lillard should retire an all time blazer record type guy.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Post#3 » by Years90Suns » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:47 am

Did you listen, AD?
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#4 » by Sam195 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:08 am

I see what Dame did write there - took a shot at Kapernick and all them Nike wearing/endorsed athletes like Lebron, KD, Anthony Davis and Paul George to name a few. Lillard wears Adidas a brand that stands for loyalty to one's team, one's country and the dam game. We got no time to be a paid protester and we want to earn our championships not buy them by jumping to a super team.

All
Day
I
Dream
About
Sports
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:11 am

LAKESHOW wrote:Portland, Oregon is a perfect place. The Pacific northwest is chill, with no expectations. Lovable happy campers. And deep pockets to pay MAX contract. Lillard should retire an all time blazer record type guy.

Lol every team can afford to pay a max contract as long the player is productive. It is only the big markets that can afford max contracts and big deals for bad players. Look at Chandler Parsons in Memphis or Gordon Hayward in Boston. Lol Lamarcus Aldridge was more down to earth than Lillard and he dipped from the Blazers to go play in San Antonio where there is no state income tax and warm weather year round.
ReddOktober
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#6 » by ReddOktober » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:21 am

Sam195 wrote:I see what Dame did write there - took a shot at Kapernick and all them Nike wearing/endorsed athletes like Lebron, KD, Anthony Davis and Paul George to name a few. Lillard wears Adidas a brand that stands for loyalty to one's team, one's country and the dam game. We got no time to be a paid protester and we want to earn our championships not buy them by jumping to a super team.

All
Day
I
Dream
About
Sports

There is no loyalty amongst teams. These owners are all about the team as an organization and don’t give a damn about the players. Let AD say Portland is a preferred destination and he will resign there. Dame would be on the first thing smoking to New Orleans. These athletes are elite and deserve the right to play for the franchise they choose especially after dedicating 7 years to the team that drafted you. If your job sucked and another company with better benefits and more potential offer you a job I would hope you would take it. **** loyalty take care of yourself. This is a business.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,602

Post#7 » by Slacktard » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:10 am

Sam195 wrote:I see what Dame did write there - took a shot at Kapernick and all them Nike wearing/endorsed athletes like Lebron, KD, Anthony Davis and Paul George to name a few. Lillard wears Adidas a brand that stands for loyalty to one's team, one's country and the dam game. We got no time to be a paid protester and we want to earn our championships not buy them by jumping to a super team.

All
Day
I
Dream
About
Sports

The irony in touting Adidas as an "American" brand when it was founded in Germany, continues to have it's corporate HQ there, has a history with NAZI Germany including using their facilities to produce rocket launchers.
Ryan91729
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#8 » by Ryan91729 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:14 am

Finally, a star with some dignity and competitive fire. Looks like he wants to earn his championship instead of bandwagoning onto a super team.
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#9 » by Ganji » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:50 am

That's what KD and Lebron said before they left. And what AD said as well...
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#10 » by arkuo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:57 am

But Lillard will cry for a spot in the All Star team.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#11 » by NYKat » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 pm

That’s why this kids my fave player in the L bar none.

He ain’t stupid though, His contract is up in 2021 he’ll be doing the same thing as AD if that organization don’t don’t do nothing to help him
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#12 » by Durant Durant » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:59 pm

easy to speak like that when Lebron aint recruiting you for his next superteam.

i hope he follows thru on that 'not willing to sell' line.
No no yes yes
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#13 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:33 pm

Sounds like a direct shot at KD. And a message to AD.

I hope he does win one, but at the end of his career he should be happy about his decisions.
Unlike Durant who will forever be branded and his legacy will suffer.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,442

Post#14 » by Myth » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:44 pm

And this is one of the reasons I want Portland to remain loyal to Lillard. Give loyalty, get loyalty.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#15 » by Cookin Baskets » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:48 pm

arkuo wrote:But Lillard will cry for a spot in the All Star team.

When he is averaging 26 points per game and leading his team to victory,then he has every right to complain about not being an all-star if he didn't he would be stupid.

I love his attitude about not selling out, and not giving in to the pressures of chasing a championship on a super team.

On other hand we could use Damien Lillard on the 76ers. :lol:
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Post#16 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:08 pm

That's such an easy tough thing to say, but ultimately we'll see five years from now.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#17 » by luss54321 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:27 pm

In other words, he doesn't want to be Kevin Durant. KD has the stats, the rings, the awards, but nobody respects him because he didn't do it the right way. He joined a 73 win championship team. Keep doing you Damian.
Warchant
Analyst
And1: 1,265

Post#18 » by Warchant » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:02 pm

luss54321 wrote:In other words, he doesn't want to be Kevin Durant. KD has the stats, the rings, the awards, but nobody respects him because he didn't do it the right way. He joined a 73 win championship team. Keep doing you Damian.

BS....I guess David Robinson didnt do it the right way then cause he was hurt and that enabled them to get Duncan....LB left the Cavs in shambles and they were able to get the #1 pick twice and TT then he came back...KD going to GS didnt guarantee anything
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#19 » by Donnyxc » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:05 pm

The anti-AD
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
saltybs
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#20 » by saltybs » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:33 pm

The guy is smart. He understands theres more than one way to lock in an "lifetime legacy." Yes, Derek Jeter won multiple rings with the Yankees, but it's more than that. He is and will forever be the Captain. New York's streets are his forever. Lillard looks at the City of Portland and realizes he can have that too, with or without bringing home a ring.

Return to Wiretap Discussion