Re: Zion Williamson Suffers Mild Knee Sprain After Sneaker Blowout

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Zion Williamson Suffers Mild Knee Sprain After Sneaker Blowout 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:07 am

Zion Williamson suffered a mild knee sprain after blowing out his shoe 36 seconds into a rivalry game against UNC. Duke lost the game 88-72.

Mike Kzryzewski said Williamson's knee was stable, and that the team would provide a timetable for his recovery on Thursday.

Williamson was wearing a Nike PG 2.5, Paul George's signature sneaker from last fall. 

Via Ryan McGee/ESPN

europeannbafan
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#2 » by europeannbafan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:48 am

He is a philanthropist,young and still a bit romantic! He plays with so much passion and risks his health playing for free for some stupid corrupt college programs!He brings the cash(expensive tickets) and everyone but him collects it. If i were him i would just hire a shooting coach and work out alone until the draft comes!i wish him the best next year in the NBA.Amazing talent!
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Re: Re: Zion Williamson Suffers Mild Knee Sprain After Sneaker Blowout 

Post#3 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:35 am

Listening to the announcers you would’ve thought someone died on camera. He’ll be fine.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
xchange55
Senior
And1: 487

Post#4 » by xchange55 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:50 pm

europeannbafan wrote: He plays with so much passion and risks his health playing for free for some stupid corrupt college programs!He brings the cash(expensive tickets) and everyone but him collects it.

It's his choice to go play there knowing full well in advance it's not a "job" - nobody is holding a gun to his head and forcing him to do it.

Having said that, his exposure playing for a top college program, that is frequently competing against other top programs will definitely raise his draft rank. Imagine a player who trains solo versus a successful Duke player - one obviously has less risk as they are proven at a higher level of competition. There is a quite a difference in pay in the rookie salary scale for the very top of the lottery compared to say mid to bottom of the lottery. To say he's not getting any value is unfair - it many not be a monetary benefit today - but will be tomorrow.
europeannbafan
Freshman

Post#5 » by europeannbafan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:47 pm

xchange55 wrote:
europeannbafan wrote: He plays with so much passion and risks his health playing for free for some stupid corrupt college programs!He brings the cash(expensive tickets) and everyone but him collects it.

It's his choice to go play there knowing full well in advance it's not a "job" - nobody is holding a gun to his head and forcing him to do it.

Having said that, his exposure playing for a top college program, that is frequently competing against other top programs will definitely raise his draft rank. Imagine a player who trains solo versus a successful Duke player - one obviously has less risk as they are proven at a higher level of competition. There is a quite a difference in pay in the rookie salary scale for the very top of the lottery compared to say mid to bottom of the lottery. To say he's not getting any value is unfair - it many not be a monetary benefit today - but will be tomorrow.

I agree with what you wrote! But he has already secured the top spot in the upcoming draft,his draft rank cannot go higher.So,i really do not understand where he benefits from by keep playing in the ncaa!
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#6 » by BigTex » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:32 pm

europeannbafan wrote:
xchange55 wrote:

I agree with what you wrote! But he has already secured the top spot in the upcoming draft,his draft rank cannot go higher.So,i really do not understand where he benefits from by keep playing in the ncaa!

Exactly. He can quit now and still go number 1. All he’s doing at this point is risking tens of millions of dollars for literally nothing. All cost and no benefit.
europeannbafan
Freshman

Post#7 » by europeannbafan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:41 pm

BigTex wrote:
europeannbafan wrote:
xchange55 wrote:

Exactly. He can quit now and still go number 1. All he’s doing at this point is risking tens of millions of dollars for literally nothing. All cost and no benefit.

Yes.The only benefit he gets is helping putting more money in Duke's pockets.Just work on your body(slim down)and work on your shooting until June!Ncaa has nothing to offer him right now!
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#8 » by MegaK » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:43 pm

BigTex wrote:
europeannbafan wrote:
xchange55 wrote:

Agree completely except it's not tens of millions of dollars, it hundreds or millions of dollars, he's going to ink a mega shoe (hopefully one that can withstand his feet) deal right out the gate and who knows how many more endorsements, and if he goes to NY the endorsement deals will never stop coming. Dude should shut it down. He got to have his eye on his money...It's like the difference of working at taco bell or winning the lottery. I love tacos but I'd much rather be able to buy the restaurant and eat them whenever i want, then eat free tacos on my lunch break when the manager isn't looking.
Bango
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#9 » by Bango » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:05 pm

It would definitely be a smart business move to shut it down and gear up for the draft. You can ask, "what more does he have to gain?" But imagine if he came back and carried that team to a title. That would lock him in as legend status. I do think he should shut it down and think about his future and if he doesn't play again-it would send a message to the NCAA. I'd be fine with either decision though. Come back and win a championship or coast his way to a #1 pick. Can't go wrong with either. *unless he messes his knee up again.**
"Fans never fall asleep at our games, because they're afraid they might get hit by a pass."—George Raveling
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#10 » by cheese318 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:12 pm

xchange55 wrote:

Go ask Mitchell Robinson. Not comparing the two because Zion is on another planet talent wise but they were both top20 talents coming from HS. Mitch left school over some issues with WKU (pretty sure someone was getting paid in his family) and he never played college ball. His agent didn’t help by not permitting private workouts prior to draft night and he became a great 2nd round pick for the NYK. If he played in college I think he would have been a lottery pick
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by cheese318 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:15 pm

BigTex wrote:
europeannbafan wrote:
xchange55 wrote:

Winning a NCAA Championship should be his goal. Being a great teammate. These opportunities only happen once in your life. He can get hurt falling down a flight of stairs or practicing for the draft. Shutting it down now would only make him look bad unless the injury is serious enough to warrant the decision
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Boura2
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#12 » by Boura2 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:49 pm

I’m a diehard UNC lifer but a basketball fan above all else and it truly was a shame for that to happen to Zion at all, much less last night in that game.

I really hope whoever is creating this kid’s signature shoe in a year or 2 doesn’t hold back on the premium materials. Did you see that shoe?!? And I’m not talking about the shoe he blew out, I’m talking about the other one. I’m fairy certain that was a new pair of sneakers. From what I saw of the pics of the shoes under the chair on the sideline after, the non busted shoe looked like someone would have been wearing them for years. If it didn’t happen to the left when it did I don’t see how the right shoe would have made it the entire game. Fortunately it’s not a major injury. Dude’s a beast!
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#13 » by 12footrim » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:00 pm

Boura2 wrote:I really hope whoever is creating this kid’s signature shoe in a year or 2 doesn’t hold back on the premium materials. Did you see that shoe?!? And I’m not talking about the shoe he blew out, I’m talking about the other one. I’m fairy certain that was a new pair of sneakers. From what I saw of the pics of the shoes under the chair on the sideline after, the non busted shoe looked like someone would have been wearing them for years. If it didn’t happen to the left when it did I don’t see how the right shoe would have made it the entire game. Fortunately it’s not a major injury. Dude’s a beast!

I doubt there has ever been a 285lb guy putting the level of torque on a shoe that he does with his explosive power. I think unless they reinforce the seams it can happen again, and probably will take a complete redesign of shoe to accommodate Zion. There have been big players like Shaq but they didn't attempt to cut like that at those high weights with his vertical twitch muscles. This is uncharted waters.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by 12footrim » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:05 pm

cheese318 wrote:
xchange55 wrote:

Go ask Mitchell Robinson. Not comparing the two because Zion is on another planet talent wise but they were both top20 talents coming from HS. Mitch left school over some issues with WKU (pretty sure someone was getting paid in his family) and he never played college ball. His agent didn’t help by not permitting private workouts prior to draft night and he became a great 2nd round pick for the NYK. If he played in college I think he would have been a lottery pick

Zion has already cemented himself as the #1 pick 20 games ago, he really doesn't need to play another college game to reach his goals of being #1 with a fat shoe contract. That said I've seen how the Duke student body and fans treated him he's a god there and sometimes the experience is just priceless. But yeah if he blew out his Achilles or something like that it might cost him. Risk reward. I wouldn't play again but I'm not an 18 year old who probably thinks he's invincible.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#15 » by Am2626 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:04 pm

12footrim wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
xchange55 wrote:

Zion has already cemented himself as the #1 pick 20 games ago, he really doesn't need to play another college game to reach his goals of being #1 with a fat shoe contract. That said I've seen how the Duke student body and fans treated him he's a god there and sometimes the experience is just priceless. But yeah if he blew out his Achilles or something like that it might cost him. Risk reward. I wouldn't play again but I'm not an 18 year old who probably thinks he's invincible.

I wonder if Shaq thought the same way before deciding to play 3 years in college. Injuries are part of the game. You can’t just wrap yourself in bubble wrap. This is a mild knee sprain and he’s Day day. People are blowing this out of proportion. If Zion quits now should Barrett quit? How about Cam Reddish. Where does it stop? Why even play the game? For people using the let them come out of high school and make the age limit 18, a high school senior can decide to quit after his junior year. Don’t play your senior year so that you don’t get hurt. This has become a complete joke.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by cheese318 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Am2626 wrote:
12footrim wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

I wonder if Shaq thought the same way before deciding to play 3 years in college. Injuries are part of the game. You can’t just wrap yourself in bubble wrap. This is a mild knee sprain and he’s Day day. People are blowing this out of proportion. If Zion quits now should Barrett quit? How about Cam Reddish. Where does it stop? Why even play the game? For people using the let them come out of high school and make the age limit 18, a high school senior can decide to quit after his junior year. Don’t play your senior year so that you don’t get hurt. This has become a complete joke.

Exactly. He is takin a risk anytime he steps on the court whether it’s a game or practice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoopzilla wrote:
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by 12footrim » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:43 pm

Am2626 wrote:
12footrim wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

Shaq is a different era, most players routinely went to school for 3 years and there were always rules that prohibited a under 18 year old from going to the NBA much like everything in our society restricts minors. The reason many of these guys play college basketball is only to position themselves for the NBA draft (and to a lesser degree build a brand with a college fanbase), if those guys feel like they have their stock cemented where they are comfortable honestly the most pragmatic thing to do is sit out (practice too) until they can get drafted and sign that first contract. Playing to better your stock or get drafted is really the only intensive or than the personal experience and they have the first locked IMO.

I think the minutes restrictions and resting games is the biggest farce in the game but the difference is these players haven't signed a contract yet and have no life changing money. If something bad happens then they realistically could be working a day job for a living or something like many former can't miss.

The one and done rule is so wrong and if I were advising a player I would suggest playing overseas like Mudiay who got like 1.2 million dollars. Now he's not any good and was never going to be any good regardless if he played at SMU. Collecting that 1.2 million considering he might not make 20 million in his career was substantial. That's the thing people forget for a lot of these guys a year could be one of their only earning years they give away. Take the money, and even if you do bad overseasons like T. Fergeson then teams can talking themselves into he was playing with grown men excuses and you are hiden rather than potientally getting exposed by college kids.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#18 » by Am2626 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:09 pm

12footrim wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

Shaq is a different era, most players routinely went to school for 3 years and there were always rules that prohibited a under 18 year old from going to the NBA much like everything in our society restricts minors. The reason many of these guys play college basketball is only to position themselves for the NBA draft (and to a lesser degree build a brand with a college fanbase), if those guys feel like they have their stock cemented where they are comfortable honestly the most pragmatic thing to do is sit out (practice too) until they can get drafted and sign that first contract. Playing to better your stock or get drafted is really the only intensive or than the personal experience and they have the first locked IMO.

I think the minutes restrictions and resting games is the biggest farce in the game but the difference is these players haven't signed a contract yet and have no life changing money. If something bad happens then they realistically could be working a day job for a living or something like many former can't miss.

The one and done rule is so wrong and if I were advising a player I would suggest playing overseas like Mudiay who got like 1.2 million dollars. Now he's not any good and was never going to be any good regardless if he played at SMU. Collecting that 1.2 million considering he might not make 20 million in his career was substantial. That's the thing people forget for a lot of these guys a year could be one of their only earning years they give away. Take the money, and even if you do bad overseasons like T. Fergeson then teams can talking themselves into he was playing with grown men excuses and you are hiden rather than potientally getting exposed by college kids.

The overseas path hasn’t really worked out for anyone. Ferguson, Jennings, Mudiay would have been better going to college and then they would either make more money on their next contract and actually live up to their potential and not potentially be out of the league in a few years. Those leagues and the NBA is not a place to develop your game. Once you become a professional you need to be able to compete with grown men. Most of these kids still need to develop and refine their games. Even guys like Tyson Chandler or Eddy Curry would have been better NBA players had they gone to college for a few years. These projects are also watering down the NBA. There’s more to the game than getting your first paycheck. If Zion wants to enjoy college and try and win a National Title who is anyone to say otherwise? Let him make the decision that he wants to make.
micromonkey
Starter
And1: 627

Post#19 » by micromonkey » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:52 pm

It’s up to him but ultimately he owes Duke nothing.
They are benefiting from a system that doesn’t allow him to jump straight to the pros and get paid

So he has to serve time for non market compensation in an NCAA system so he can play in the pros

He’d easily have been drafted top anyway Duke is not adding value for him personally
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#20 » by MrOrange » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:17 am

12footrim wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

Even an average Euroleague team would beat the cr..p out of Duke. The Ball brothers were benched by one of the worst Lithuanian league teams. Don't overestimate the NCAA or other lower league competition. What I wish is that those guys actually get their proper diplomas, because not everyone will get a multimillion deals. Zion, of course, is exceptional, but until he develops a shot, he may find that he can't simply overpower the NBA guys.

Return to Wiretap Discussion