Giannis Antetokounmpo Tells Young Players To Focus On Basketball, Not Media Exposure

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Giannis Antetokounmpo Tells Young Players To Focus On Basketball, Not Media Exposure 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Mar 8, 2019 7:01 am

Giannis Antetokounmpo described his confusion over seeing young players more focused on media exposure than getting results on the court. 

“I’m not trying to criticize nobody; everybody can do whatever they want to do. But I see a lot of young players coming out who think that by putting your name in the media you’re going to get the exposure. But at the end of the day, it’s not about the media. If you don’t get it done on the court, it’s not going to get done with media. Like, if I don’t come out tomorrow and try to kick some ass and try to get a win and help my team, media is not going to do that for me. I try to focus on my job, and to finish the season strong, and not try to do (other stuff)," said Antetokounmpo.

Antetokounmpo added that media attention will follow on-court results.  

"I don’t get young players, like why they try to allow so many distractions to get in their heads. They’re all over the place. SLAM magazine. GQ, whatever. Just stay in your lanes, get your job done, and everything else is going to come."

Via Sam Amick/The Athletic

ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,825

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Tells Young Players To Focus On Basketball, Not Media Exposure 

Post#2 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Fri Mar 8, 2019 8:59 am

Love this guy even more.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,425

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Tells Young Players To Focus On Basketball, Not Media Exposure 

Post#3 » by Revived » Fri Mar 8, 2019 9:48 am

Giannis has the best personality of any superstar in maybe NBA history.

He’s absolutely right. These young kids are trying to already work on starting their own Klutch and Thirty Five Ventures and all that crap instead of working on their game and being actually good over a few seasons first.

Nobody will give a crap about you if your game sucks. Carmelo Anthony is a good example of this, he had an actual office building in downtown Manhattan for all his off court ventures and yet when he sucked on the court, nobody gave a crap about him.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#4 » by likashing » Fri Mar 8, 2019 10:45 am

Damn sounds like he is telling guys to not be like AD. Keeping it real!

Too many guys talking about brands, being CEOs, ventures, etc etc before they have won a handful of playoff rounds.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
WuriderX
Junior
And1: 403

Post#5 » by WuriderX » Fri Mar 8, 2019 11:28 am

This is what I am talking about. I am so tired of these guys talking about their "brand". That was one of the reasons why Melo went to New York so he could expand his "brand". I love this guy wish more would think like him but again he isn't from here so he came with a clean slate.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#6 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Mar 8, 2019 11:32 am

I really like this guy's maturity. He shows more poise than LeBron, KD, and Kyrie..They should take notes.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#7 » by br7knicks » Fri Mar 8, 2019 11:46 am

Giannis is great and getting better. He also knows the right way to approach basketball.

Focus on defense and IQ, too. The kids today have no clue. Us Knicks fans are lucky with mitch robinson, but are hurting with guys like Knox and Trier.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#8 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 12:18 pm

Look, I agree Giannis is right. But, it's important to keep in mind that he doesn't have -- and didn't have -- the kind of distraction western youth, specifically American youth have... Social Media; Twitter, Insta, etc., Did Giannis even grow up with a cell phone or even a computer in his house.

Again, he's spot on with his take, but it's important to put things in context, too
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#9 » by paperboymafia » Fri Mar 8, 2019 3:00 pm

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Look, I agree Giannis is right. But, it's important to keep in mind that he doesn't have -- and didn't have -- the kind of distraction western youth, specifically American youth have... Social Media; Twitter, Insta, etc., Did Giannis even grow up with a cell phone or even a computer in his house.

Again, he's spot on with his take, but it's important to put things in context, too

Athens/Greece has not had it easy but but they're not in the social dark ages and pretty damned certain he at least had friends with playstations and phones if he didn't ;-) I'd say it's more to do with education and importance of different values that are instilled at a young age.

I travel to Africa and even in the middle of the desert in small towns there are cell phones (android, iphones) and social media. Some kids I saw there had far worse relationships to the 'western distractions' than I've seen in the West. It depends on the kid, the parent etc
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,128

Post#10 » by Plutonashfan » Fri Mar 8, 2019 3:02 pm

Good, gives me hope that not all of these superstars are entitled greddy dickheads.
The Champ is HERE!!!
Bricks
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#11 » by Bricks » Fri Mar 8, 2019 3:05 pm

Giannis should be careful, he's only 24 calling out 'young' players. Sure he seems mature but 'young' guys are only gonna see a 24yo calling them out.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#12 » by jimmy keys » Fri Mar 8, 2019 3:09 pm

ThumbsUpBaby wrote:Love this guy even more.

Yea I can't wait until he's a Raptor in 2 years.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#13 » by Donnyxc » Fri Mar 8, 2019 3:20 pm

Favorite player in the NBA. Guy just gets it.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#14 » by Anti Chalmers » Fri Mar 8, 2019 3:21 pm

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Look, I agree Giannis is right. But, it's important to keep in mind that he doesn't have -- and didn't have -- the kind of distraction western youth, specifically American youth have... Social Media; Twitter, Insta, etc., Did Giannis even grow up with a cell phone or even a computer in his house.

I traveled across Vietnam and even in the villages they had smartphones and pretty much everyone uses social media or at least have a Facebook account. In the big cities, I see the youth on their phones as much as here in America. It’s not a western distraction anymore, it’s a worldwide problem now.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#15 » by Donnyxc » Fri Mar 8, 2019 3:23 pm

Revived wrote:Giannis has the best personality of any superstar in maybe NBA history.

Some may disagree, but that's Kevin Garnett for me. Your worst enemy on the court, but the best personality and teammate. Short anecdote on the subject of Professionalism:

“He did a lot of good things that people don’t know,” Rivers said. “When rookies came in, he would bring them up to my office. He’d sit them down, and then he would bring his tailor in and say, ‘If you want to be a pro, you’ve got to dress like a pro.’ And he would buy each rookie two suits, and he did it every year. To me, that says a lot about Kevin Garnett as a teammate.”
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#16 » by Psubs » Fri Mar 8, 2019 5:49 pm

Brogdon needs to brand himself and get a huge max contract this summer. He's from Atlanta... they have to at least make an offer.

Atlanta drafts #4 Rui Hachimura and Bol Bol with the Mavs pick.

PG Young - Bembry
SG Brogdon - Bazemore
SF Prince - Huerter
PF Hachimura - Spellman
C Collins - BolBol - Plumlee

I think next season, they could be as good as Orlando, Detroit, Charlotte, etc.
greggschapiro
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#17 » by greggschapiro » Fri Mar 8, 2019 5:50 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
Revived wrote:Giannis has the best personality of any superstar in maybe NBA history.

Some may disagree, but that's Kevin Garnett for me. Your worst enemy on the court, but the best personality and teammate. Short anecdote on the subject of Professionalism:

“He did a lot of good things that people don’t know,” Rivers said. “When rookies came in, he would bring them up to my office. He’d sit them down, and then he would bring his tailor in and say, ‘If you want to be a pro, you’ve got to dress like a pro.’ And he would buy each rookie two suits, and he did it every year. To me, that says a lot about Kevin Garnett as a teammate.”

Fun fact: they've worked together a lot
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,788

Post#18 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Mar 8, 2019 5:54 pm

Anti Chalmers wrote:

I traveled across Vietnam and even in the villages they had smartphones and pretty much everyone uses social media or at least have a Facebook account. In the big cities, I see the youth on their phones as much as here in America. It’s not a western distraction anymore, it’s a worldwide problem now.

Yep. And you can pretty much find wifi prety much everywhere in Vietnam (cities)... but try in it a Vegas Hotel lol.
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#19 » by Rek » Fri Mar 8, 2019 6:46 pm

Bricks wrote:Giannis should be careful, he's only 24 calling out 'young' players. Sure he seems mature but 'young' guys are only gonna see a 24yo calling them out.

I get what you're saying, but, Giannis is just spitting plain truth. If other players are getting all bent about what he's saying here, it likely says more about them than him. Besides, he's already established as an elite talent. It would probably be different if he was just an average 24 yo player.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#20 » by hyberx » Fri Mar 8, 2019 7:59 pm

I hope LeBron is listening.

Return to Wiretap Discussion