Mavs Make Kemba Walker Top Target In Free Agency This Summer

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mavs Make Kemba Walker Top Target In Free Agency This Summer 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:34 am

The Dallas Mavericks are eyeing Kemba Walker as their top addition in free agency this summer.

Walker, an unrestricted free agent, has repeatedly expressed his desire to stay with the Hornets, although that could be changing. 

Word around the league is that Walker is leaning towards leaving the Hornets, according to Sam Amick.

"At this point, based on scuttlebutt around the league but without direct clarity from his side, it feels like he’s more likely to leave than stay," said Amick in a recent Q-and-A.

Via Rick Bonnell/Charlotte Observer

njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Re: Mavs Make Kemba Walker Top Target In Free Agency This Summer 

Post#2 » by njknicks » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:06 am

Unless the Hornets low-ball Kemba with anything but the max deal - likely will stay put.

The only way he leaves is if there is a draft day package deal.

Considering that he is not endorsement heavy - would be leaving enormous amount of money on the table by joining another team ( literally years off his playing career ).

Great player, is everything you want in an athlete - humble, hard working, first class team mate, has improved each year, shown some success.

Good Luck Kemba - look forward to watching you grow & win!
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#3 » by 316Hornets » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:29 am

Only way I would see Kemba leaving is if he got on one of those superteams, which Dallas is not. Where Zion goes is going to shift the balance of the league greatly. If Kemba can pair with him, don't see any reason why he'd turn that down.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,703

Post#4 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:31 am

Well, I give up on trying to figure out what is and isn't tampering, I guess.
The man who sleeps on the bed can never fall out of the floor... Winnie the Pooh
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,703

Post#5 » by scrabbarista » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:34 am

Kemba, Porzingis, Zion, and Luka would be bananas!!!!
The man who sleeps on the bed can never fall out of the floor... Winnie the Pooh
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#6 » by alienpick » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:41 am

Media making **** up again...
CH Smoot
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#7 » by CH Smoot » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:01 am

Kemba getting the max in Charlotte. He ain't going no place.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#8 » by RipCityKJ » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:28 am

I understand loyalty but this franchise is a disaster and has been for years. There cap table for the next few years is horrible it’s at least 2-3 years before they can try to bring in anyone new to do anything but be mediocre in the east.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#9 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:45 am

I like the move, but, honestly, it has a snowball's chance in hell of actually occurring. For starters, Kemba ain't going nowhere, so this would have to be a S&T. Also, why would Dallas target Kemba anyway when they've got tremendous depth at the guard spot. They got their playmaker in Luka and asking Kemba to spot up and shoot 3s would be akin to buying a Porsche because you thought it'd be good on gas. Kemba is fully capable of raining 3s, but dude is deadly off the boucnce. KP and Kemba could work the P&R effectively, I reckon, but seriously... how could this ever get even get done?
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
stepic
Junior
And1: 380

Post#10 » by stepic » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:59 am

scrabbarista wrote:Kemba, Porzingis, Zion, and Luka would be bananas!!!!

and how exactly do the Mavs aquire Zion? they traded their pick for Luka, remember.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#11 » by Sam195 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:35 am

If Michael Jordan doesn't pay up with a 5 year max contract fully guaranteed than Walker is better off going to Dallas and signing a 4 year max deal with savings from the lack of state income tax in Texas. I have a feeling MJ is not interested in paying for another big contract after he signed Batum and traded back for Bismack's albatross deal. Cody Zeller also has a big contract.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#12 » by baldur » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 am

stepic wrote:

and how exactly do the Mavs aquire Zion? they traded their pick for Luka, remember.

it is top 5 protected.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#13 » by Sam195 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:41 am

stepic wrote:

the pick is top 5 protected if mavs miss the playoffs but get lucky and move into top 3 they keep it. I doubt they will intentionally tank to the 2nd worst record so they are guaranteed to keep the pick since you can only drop three spots - I don't even think that is mathematically possible it would need to be pure luck like when the lakers kept the pick they traded away for Steve Nash within the protection range to draft Lonzo.
stepic
Junior
And1: 380

Post#14 » by stepic » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:05 pm

baldur wrote:it is top 5 protected.

Sam195 wrote:the pick is top 5 protected if mavs miss the playoffs but get lucky and move into top 3 they keep it. I doubt they will intentionally tank to the 2nd worst record so they are guaranteed to keep the pick since you can only drop three spots - I don't even think that is mathematically possible it would need to be pure luck like when the lakers kept the pick they traded away for Steve Nash within the protection range to draft Lonzo.

ah, my bad.

still, incredibly unlikely they land the #1 pick. if they do, they'll own the league in a few years.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#15 » by TheCage4 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:23 pm

Why would Dallas lay out top dollar for a PG when they have Luka? They would be better off spreading that money around to fill out the roster with capable defenders and shooters.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:24 pm

TheCage4 wrote:Why would Dallas lay out top dollar for a PG when they have Luka? They would be better off spreading that money around to fill out the roster with capable defenders and shooters.

Because everyone needs more than one ball handler. Luca isn’t going to play 82 games, 48 mpg, never get tired and maintain a usage rate in the 40’s. Because Walker’s shooting makes him equally deadly playing off ball and because the more good players you put on the roster, the more game you generally win.

I think Walker’s skill set is a great fit for the Mavs, I’m just not as convinced his age fits in very well.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,792

Post#17 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:24 pm

Why is this news when it’s nothing but an opinion from Sam Amick. It has nothing to do with Walker really.

So since it says nothing, I’ll just assume this is to circumvent tampering rules.
timstrasser
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#18 » by timstrasser » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:03 pm

This doesn't make sense and doesn't ring true to me. They were seeking to trade Dennis Smith, not because he's not good and not a good locker room guy, but because his talents didn't mesh with Luka D.'s. Dennis Smith is a scoring point guard who needs the ball to be effective. With Luka also needing the ball, they went with Luka. Kemba Walker is the same type of scoring point guard. That is why this doesn't make sense. If I were the Mav's GM, I would go out and try to get an Enes Kanter-type of center to be the bully rebounder next to Kristaps. Jalen Brunson looks like he could be a steady hand at starting PG for years to come.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#19 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:20 pm

timstrasser wrote:This doesn't make sense and doesn't ring true to me. They were seeking to trade Dennis Smith, not because he's not good and not a good locker room guy, but because his talents didn't mesh with Luka D.'s. Dennis Smith is a scoring point guard who needs the ball to be effective. With Luka also needing the ball, they went with Luka. Kemba Walker is the same type of scoring point guard. That is why this doesn't make sense. If I were the Mav's GM, I would go out and try to get an Enes Kanter-type of center to be the bully rebounder next to Kristaps. Jalen Brunson looks like he could be a steady hand at starting PG for years to come.

Kemba is a very efficient off ball scorer. He pairs well with other creators as he doesn't always require the ball to do his thing. It's a logical idea for the Mavs IMHO.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,239

Post#20 » by Dan Z » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Don't forget they'll have Tim Hardaway Jr too!

Return to Wiretap Discussion