Karl-Anthony Towns Not Interested In Shutting It Down Before Season Concludes

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Karl-Anthony Towns Not Interested In Shutting It Down Before Season Concludes 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:28 pm

Karl-Anthony Towns is not interested in shutting it down at some point this season as the Minnesota Timberwolves' playoff hopes evaporate.

"I can't do that," said Towns. "I've got too much pride in playing. I've got too much pride in being on the court with my guys. If (fans) worry about me getting hurt, I was much more hurt last year. I'm not too worried about that. This ain't nothin."

Towns will receive an additional $32 million on his contract extension if he makes one of the All-NBA teams this season.

Towns has been one of the NBA's most durable players, starting in 303 straight games before his car accident.

Via Jon Krawczynski/The Athletic

Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Re: Karl-Anthony Towns Not Interested In Shutting It Down Before Season Concludes 

Post#2 » by Elnegron » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:07 am

It there wasn't $32 million reasons, he would have shut it down already trust me
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,621

Re: Karl-Anthony Towns Not Interested In Shutting It Down Before Season Concludes 

Post#3 » by ishoy123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:31 am

Elnegron wrote:It there wasn't $32 million reasons, he would have shut it down already trust me

Well why would he? He already got his contract and what's he going to do at home, play video games?
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:30 am

ishoy123 wrote:
Elnegron wrote:It there wasn't $32 million reasons, he would have shut it down already trust me

Well why would he? He already got his contract and what's he going to do at home, play video games?

I can remember a day when players played every minute their coach allowed them, no matter what their record was. I think that ended right about the time Lebron took his mid-season Miami vacation.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#5 » by Cookin Baskets » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:24 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
ishoy123 wrote:

I can remember a day when players played every minute their coach allowed them, no matter what their record was. I think that ended right about the time Lebron took his mid-season Miami vacation.

When was that, what year with miami did lebron take a vacation? They always were fighting for something when he was on the heat. Also teams are more strategical these days in regards of playing their important players in games that don't hold any weight.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,621

Post#6 » by ishoy123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:27 pm

Cookin Baskets wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
ishoy123 wrote:

When was that, what year with miami did lebron take a vacation? They always were fighting for something when he was on the heat. Also teams are more strategical these days in regards of playing their important players in games that don't hold any weight.

I just think it's kind of sad how people are now concluding that since a game is meaningless, a totally healthy player should just not play. Isn't the whole point of being a basketball player to play basketball?
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:32 pm

ishoy123 wrote:
Cookin Baskets wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:I can remember a day when players played every minute their coach allowed them, no matter what their record was. I think that ended right about the time Lebron took his mid-season Miami vacation.

I just think it's kind of sad how people are now concluding that since a game is meaningless, a totally healthy player should just not play. Isn't the whole point of being a basketball player to play basketball?

I was speaking about Lebron's first year back in CLE. He left the team and hung in Miami for a couple weeks mid-season. It wasn't a dig... it was just the first time I remember something like that happening on that kind of scale. The was of course Pop getting in trouble from the league for resting Duncan and citing "Old" as the reason.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,822

Post#8 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:51 pm

No he wouldn't have. KAT is a baller and he wants to play. If he started 303 straight games that is a good indicator that he doesn't like to sit out.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,822

Post#9 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:52 pm

ishoy123 wrote:
Cookin Baskets wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:I can remember a day when players played every minute their coach allowed them, no matter what their record was. I think that ended right about the time Lebron took his mid-season Miami vacation.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:40 am

KGdaBom wrote:
ishoy123 wrote:
Cookin Baskets wrote:

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

Very few games are truly meaningless. Playoff seeding and lottery odds are at stake. And even if you are on the lottery side of that equation there is an integrity issue. The #1 pick should go to the team that needs it the most, not the team that is the best at losing.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#11 » by Cookin Baskets » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:53 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
ishoy123 wrote:

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

Very few games are truly meaningless. Playoff seeding and lottery odds are at stake. And even if you are on the lottery side of that equation there is an integrity issue. The #1 pick should go to the team that needs it the most, not the team that is the best at losing.

They have to give all non playoff teams the same odds for the #1 pick, so teams have no incentive to tank further after missing the playoffs.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:29 am

Cookin Baskets wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

They have to give all non playoff teams the same odds for the #1 pick, so teams have no incentive to tank further after missing the playoffs.

That won't work because you would have 8th seeds choosing the lottery over a sweep.

Return to Wiretap Discussion