Jazz Ban Fan Who Called Russell Westbrook 'Boy' Last Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jazz Ban Fan Who Called Russell Westbrook 'Boy' Last Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:31 pm

The Utah Jazz have banned a fan who called Russell Westbrook "boy" before Game 4 of last season's first round series against the Oklahoma City Thunder.

In video posted on social media Tuesday, a fan is heard calling Westbrook "boy."

"Don't call me 'boy,'" Westbrook told the fan, who repeated the phrase. Westbrook then motioned for security personnel.

On Tuesday, the team issued a lifetime ban to fan Shane Keisel for making degrading comments to Westbrook.

Via ESPN

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,191

Re: Jazz Ban Fan Who Called Russell Westbrook 'Boy' Last Season 

Post#2 » by Neeva » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:23 am

Boy? I don’t get it.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#3 » by LloydFree » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:28 am

Good. Make an example of him too. The next fake tough guy will think twice, drink his beer and keep his sickness to himself.

Imagine calling somebody "boy" in this day and age. SMH.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#4 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:37 am

Neeva wrote:Boy? I don’t get it.

I guess you are not from the U.S.? Black men were referred to as boys during slavery and segregation.
MeestR
Analyst
And1: 429

Post#5 » by MeestR » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:19 am

Neeva wrote:Boy? I don’t get it.

For one, you never refer to a grown man as son, or boy, or kid or whatever. It is not respectful of the life and family they have already lived, protected, and provided for.

Next, when you use that specific drawl, and repeatedly use it to degrade someone as less than human, then it is embarrassing, sick, and disgusting.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#6 » by alienpick » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:48 am

LloydFree wrote:Good. Make an example of him too. The next fake tough guy will think twice, drink his beer and keep his sickness to himself.

I really hope you are being sarcastic.

If a grown man has such thin skin that he can’t shrug off a drunk idiot calling him “boy”. Then maybe he is a little baby boy who needs his baba. **** people, grow up and stop being so easily butt hurt.

Obviously the Jazz organization is run by a bunch of over-reactionary retards. RAcism is one thing, but ‘Boy’? Said in last years playoffs? Come on?

And yeah, I said r e t a r d. Come at me you triggered little princesses

#currentyear. SMH
ShaqFu
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#7 » by ShaqFu » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:53 am

alienpick wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Good. Make an example of him too. The next fake tough guy will think twice, drink his beer and keep his sickness to himself.

I really hope you are being sarcastic. If a grown man has such thin skin that he can’t shrug off a drunk idiot calling him “boy”. Then maybe he is a little baby boy who needs his baba. **** people, grow up and stop being so easily butt hurt.

Obviously the Jazz organization is run by a bunch of over-reactionary retards.

Yeah, I said r e t a r d. Come at me you triggered little princesses

#currentyear. SMH

I don't condone racism, but I agree. So many butt hurt people out here letting words get to them.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,128

Post#8 » by Plutonashfan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:25 am

alienpick wrote:

If a grown man has such thin skin that he can’t shrug off a drunk idiot calling him “boy”. Then maybe he is a little baby boy who needs his baba. **** people, grow up and stop being so easily butt hurt.

Obviously the Jazz organization is run by a bunch of over-reactionary retards. RAcism is one thing, but ‘Boy’? Said in last years playoffs? Come on?

#currentyear. SMH

Wow I have no words. Hopefully a mod sees this.
The Champ is HERE!!!
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,896

Post#9 » by biggestbullsfan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:40 am

“Boy” isn’t about degrading someone’s status. It has racial overtones. You don’t have to agree but to dismiss it as being too sensitive is pretty ignorant. You don’t know the history behind it and instead of trying to understand it, you say “get over it” like it doesn’t matter because it doesn’t effect you. Being complacent is the same as approving that same racist activity. He knew what he was doing when he said boy. You don’t. And that’s why Russ reacted the way he did.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#10 » by dautjazz » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:54 am

alienpick wrote:

#currentyear. SMH

Look I can understand some the sensitivity of today and some of the over-reactions, I agree there are plenty, but there a white man calling a black man "boy" in that tone, certainly comes off racist in my book. The guy is an idiot, why should a player have to put up with this ****? Would it be so unfair to ask that fans just respect players and watch the game? I really question people who defend the right of a fan to do this kind of crap when people go out with their family and they have to witness this.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Drewskickinit
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#11 » by Drewskickinit » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:00 am

I guess calling someone a "boy" is considered racist in this weird new america. Especially Westbrook who starts trash with people all over the place. I'm actually most irritated with the Utah ownership who didn't stand up for their fans. To throw them under the bus is ridiculous
Drewskickinit
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#12 » by Drewskickinit » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:04 am

Wow and reading these snowflake comments I just smh. So now the word boy is racist.? Lol!! This society is so ridiculous now boy is a bad word lmao
alienpick
Starter

Post#13 » by alienpick » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:20 am

biggestbullsfan wrote:“Boy” isn’t about degrading someone’s status. It has racial overtones. You don’t have to agree but to dismiss it as being too sensitive is pretty ignorant. You don’t know the history behind it and instead of trying to understand it, you say “get over it” like it doesn’t matter because it doesn’t effect you. Being complacent is the same as approving that same racist activity. He knew what he was doing when he said boy. You don’t. And that’s why Russ reacted the way he did.

First, you are assuming another persons intent which is an error and narcissistic. Do you know the man personally? How could you possibly know what his intent was? You are only assuming based on your own biased view of the situation.

Second, “if you aren’t with us you are against us” is a very weak argument. You just basically said; “if you don’t agree with me then you are racist or equal to a racist”. That’s not an argument, it’s fallacy. It shows you are poor at communicating and an emotionally driven thinker. You lack the ability to make a reasonable/logical point, so you resort to back handed attacks against anyone who doesn’t agree with you. Weak.
alienpick
Starter

Post#14 » by alienpick » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:24 am

Plutonashfan wrote:
alienpick wrote:

#currentyear. SMH

Did words on the computer hurt your feels princess? Grow up. The world isn’t going to coddle you. Welcome to reality.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#15 » by EAS Law » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:36 am

I wonder how long until select groups of people attending the games will have to sit in absolute silence during the game to avoid offending anyone. Shoot, I wonder how long it will be before the “privilege” of certain fans will offend and shock the conscience enough to arrest them as soon as they enter the arena.

I don’t think there is anything that certain groups can’t or won’t find racist anymore. In some fashion, everything can relate back to racism if you make a creative argument for it, and those thoughts are echoed on forums like this, so mission accomplished.
alienpick
Starter

Post#16 » by alienpick » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:51 am

EAS Law wrote:I wonder how long until select groups of people attending the games will have to sit in absolute silence during the game to avoid offending anyone. Shoot, I wonder how long it will be before the “privilege” of certain fans will offend and shock the conscience enough to arrest them as soon as they enter the arena.

I don’t think there is anything that certain groups can’t or won’t find racist anymore. In some fashion, everything can relate back to racism if you make a creative argument for it, and those thoughts are echoed on forums like this, so mission accomplished.

Yeah you see where it’s going, or could go. Basically right back to the racist and segregated past. People instantly guilty based on the colour of their skin. It amazes me how people can’t see this. They are too busy passing judgement that they can’t see their own racial bias and how they are making the problem worse. People need to come together, no further divide. Especially along racial lines.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#17 » by soxfan2003 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:51 am

Boy does have racial overtones so I am fine in this case with that person being banned at least for a while and perhaps never being allowed to have seats anywhere near the court again.

Boy is used by all sorts of people and some are being racially condescending while others are not but for Westbrook to say don't say boy and then the fan does it again I think the guy should be banned unless he truly has a disability -- perhaps autism -- and doesn't know better.

Whatever rules the NBA sets, I think the amount of heckling that is allowed should be lower when players are not playing in the game and are on the sideline. In the game, players themselves sometimes try to throw other players off their games.

Most people have racial/ethnic/many other prejudices but there is a difference between having them and acting upon them in an unfair manner.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,747

Post#18 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:33 am

Uh..... How did this happen a year later? Were they busy?

alienpick wrote:Did words on the computer hurt your feels princess? Grow up. The world isn’t going to coddle you. Welcome to reality.

The irony.... you say this and a spew all over the forums about this topic like the world owes you for the **** hand you were dealt. It doesn't.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,525

Post#19 » by th87 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:02 am

alienpick wrote:
Plutonashfan wrote:
alienpick wrote:

#currentyear. SMH

Did words on the computer hurt your feels princess? Grow up. The world isn’t going to coddle you. Welcome to reality.

Seems you are the *most* butthurt about this moron's plight and about finding yourself on the outside of societal norms. This makes me happy.
mbsnmisc
Starter
And1: 3,721

Post#20 » by mbsnmisc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:45 am

Yet "White Boy" is used by blacks every day. Double standard much?

Return to Wiretap Discussion