Bradley Beal Not Sure If He Would Sign Supermax Extension With Wizards

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Bradley Beal Not Sure If He Would Sign Supermax Extension With Wizards 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:11 pm

Bradley Beal has emerged as a contender for one of the All-NBA selections this season.

“I feel like behind James (Harden), I’m the best shooting guard in the league,” Beal told The Athletic. “My numbers may show it, (but) we’re not winning. I think that hurts (an All-NBA case) in a lot of ways. But in terms of individual success, I feel like I’m right there.”

Beal will be eligible for a supermax contract extension if he makes one of the All-NBA teams. Beal could earn an estimated $194 million over four seasons starting in 21-22.

“You know what’s crazy? (Making All-NBA) wasn’t really a goal until people started talking about it more,” Beal said. “I think once there was a little noise behind it, it kinda pushed me to just continue to be consistent, just continue to play at this level. It wasn’t me at the beginning of the year like, ‘Oh, I wanna make the (All-NBA).’ I never even thought about it, but once people started buzzing about it like, ‘Oh, you have a great chance of doing it,’ why not? So, I just continue to play hard and play aggressive.”

If Beal does qualify and the Wizards offer him an extension, he's not yet sure if he will accept it.

“I have no idea. … I try not to (think about it),” he said. “I’m not gonna be naïve to it. I know about it. But … I haven’t even gotten that far, because I need to figure out what we’re gonna do in this offseason, where we’re going, which direction we’re going.”

Beal did recently say, however, that he would like to remain with the Wizards for his entire career.

“If I can retire in this jersey, I will,” he said. “I’m all about loyalty.”

He told Yahoo! Sports in a podcast later that day, “If I can, 100 percent, I’d die in a Wizards jersey.”

Via Fred Katz/The Athletic

jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Re: Bradley Beal Not Sure If He Would Sign Supermax Extension With Wizards 

Post#2 » by jlokine » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:20 pm

yes... sign that supermax... cap the heck out of the wiz and then win nothing for the rest of ur career.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,184

Post#3 » by kenwood3333 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:24 pm

If you want to retire as a Wiz, not sure about signing super max, concern about winning, how about sign for a cap friendly deal so the Wiz can have cap space to sign winning role players?
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 112

Post#4 » by njknicks » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:05 pm

Given Bradley Beal's injury history ( in 7 seasons missed 92 games - in essence lost 1 season of his career to injuries ), it would be foolish to turn down a super max extension.

Unfortunately, not sure how the Wiz can function financially or operationally with 2 guys making $40M a piece ....
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,246

Post#5 » by Harry Garris » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:44 pm

jlokine wrote:yes... sign that supermax... cap the heck out of the wiz and then win nothing for the rest of ur career.

The Wizards couldn't win even if he was playing for free because it's such a poorly run organization.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,560

Post#6 » by Bentley1225 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:07 pm

Why would the Wizards offer him a Supermax based on:
-Wall already has one
-What have they won with Wall/Beal
-Can Wizards afford the risk
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#7 » by Greenie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:16 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:If you want to retire as a Wiz, not sure about signing super max, concern about winning, how about sign for a cap friendly deal so the Wiz can have cap space to sign winning role players?

Why does he have to take less money?
Fans always do this. The Wiz need to fix their roster. Beal didn’t do that. Their front office did.

Now he’s supposed to do his job AND theirs?

No thanks.

Heads need to roll in Washington
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#8 » by Greenie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:17 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
jlokine wrote:yes... sign that supermax... cap the heck out of the wiz and then win nothing for the rest of ur career.

The Wizards couldn't win even if he was playing for free because it's such a poorly run organization.

Bingo.
Easy to start pointing to money. Them
Mofo’s running the franchise are bad at building teams.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#9 » by NatiboyB » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:19 pm

Aka trade him this offseason
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#10 » by spree2kawhi » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:37 pm

Welcome to New York.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#11 » by Sam195 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:46 am

NatiboyB wrote:Aka trade him this offseason

That is what Bulls and Kings did with Jimmy Butler and Demarcus Cousins they did not want to pony up the cash and long term commitment that comes with a supermax deal so they were both unexpectedly dealt at the trade deadline and draft for pennies on the dollar to what their prime value was when they were healthy. Pacers who wanted to resign Paul George also moved him to OKC before his supermax eligibility season began because they did not want his camp pushing to get the contract then request a trade - so they get their cake and eat it too similar to how Melo forced a trade to Knicks from Nuggets and signed a max extension before the 2011 lockout. Kawhi Leonard on the other hand rejected a 5 year 205M supermax extension from the Spurs which ultimately lead to him being shafted to the Raptors - the Spurs knew this guy really did not want to be on the team if he is turning down that much guaranteed money in state tax free Texas after basically sitting out for 70+ games the past season.
eddie jerel
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#12 » by eddie jerel » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:40 am

Bentley1225 wrote:Why would the Wizards offer him a Supermax based on:
-Wall already has one
-What have they won with Wall/Beal
-Can Wizards afford the risk

The Wiz CAN'T afford to bc 1) Wall has one which 2) IS WHY they haven't got a chance to win bc W
all IS an Overhyped Injury Prone Player who's not compatible w/Beal. Lastly, while Beal might be eligible for Supermax his best move might involve going to another team(trade/FA) and getting regular Max Deal and playing for/with Team/Players that know what they're doing
dantheman74
Senior
And1: 299

Post#13 » by dantheman74 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:46 am

Money can buy loyalty. Whenever they say that (i'm about loyalty) i hear it as a pitch that they are great team guys but want to gtfo of their current situation.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#14 » by Jedzz » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:02 pm

NatiboyB wrote:Aka trade him this offseason
Wiggins + pick or player. Done. Beal fits with Towns. Wiggins isn't a supermax and Wizards can draft another addition. Wiggins just beat Warriors. He outscored everyone on both teams except for Steph. Last time Wizards did that? 2017? 2014? Save 10 million a yr, add a frp and move on.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Post#15 » by DBoys » Mon Apr 1, 2019 5:33 pm

[deleted]

Return to Wiretap Discussion