Wizards Fire Ernie Grunfeld

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Wizards Fire Ernie Grunfeld 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 2, 2019 6:56 pm

The Washington Wizards have fired Ernie Grunfeld as team president.

Tommy Sheppard has been named the interim general manager with a search for Grunfeld's replacement underway.

“We did not meet our stated goals of qualifying for the playoffs this season and, despite playing with injuries to several key players, we have a culture of accountability and a responsibility of managing to positive outcomes,” said Ted Leonsis. “I wish to thank Ernie for his service to the Washington Wizards. He and his family have been great leaders in our community and have worked tirelessly to make us a top NBA franchise.”

Grunfeld had been with the Wizards since the 03-04 season.

Via RealGM Staff Report

The Senator
Junior
And1: 340

Re: Wizards Fire Ernie Grunfeld 

Post#2 » by The Senator » Tue Apr 2, 2019 7:24 pm

Congratulations to Washington fans. This day's been a long time coming for you guys.
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#3 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Tue Apr 2, 2019 7:45 pm

OMG, I can't believe it!!! It's over!!!!!!!! :rockon:
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#4 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 7:50 pm

This was a long time coming, but it's the right move at the best time: now. There are several capable, but unemployed GMs out there... Alternatively, someone new might be good, too. Do your diligence and bring back some hope to a city that all but lost it.

Oh. And find a way to get out from under that Wall contract!
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#5 » by RipCityKJ » Tue Apr 2, 2019 8:13 pm

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:This was a long time coming, but it's the right move at the best time: now. There are several capable, but unemployed GMs out there... Alternatively, someone new might be good, too. Do your diligence and bring back some hope to a city that all but lost it.

Sorry to say but they’ll never get out from that John Wall contract so there goes any hope for the next 5 years and no GM can fix that.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#6 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 8:18 pm

Couldn't wait 5-6 games, eh?? Just seems the classy thing to do. Not that I care, really.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#7 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 8:32 pm

About time huge payroll and can't make the playoffs! He has no business running a team.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#8 » by BigTex » Tue Apr 2, 2019 8:35 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:Couldn't wait 5-6 games, eh?? Just seems the classy thing to do. Not that I care, really.

Timing was a bit off. But perhaps they wanted to be the first out of the chute to make sure that none if the available candidates got snapped up before they got to interview them. But I’m with you, you still wait until the day after the season is oven and then fire the guy.
hoopsfan2424
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#9 » by hoopsfan2424 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 8:58 pm

Ding dong the witch is dead. Too bad i jumped ship seven years ago. Go Mavs.

Two separate foolish team constructions around flawed overpaid point guards. Neither team played any D. Ernie doesn't learn from his mistakes.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#10 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 9:00 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:
IAMZOOTED2 wrote:This was a long time coming, but it's the right move at the best time: now. There are several capable, but unemployed GMs out there... Alternatively, someone new might be good, too. Do your diligence and bring back some hope to a city that all but lost it.

Sorry to say but they’ll never get out from that John Wall contract so there goes any hope for the next 5 years and no GM can fix that.

The contract is for 4 years, it's unlikely that Wall is ever gonna be as good as he was after the injury. He's out 12 months may be back in Feb 2020 but likely won't be the same player at least till the start of the 2020-21 season.

It's gonna be a challenge for any GM to make a winning team out of them with that contract clogging up the payroll. They may have to trade Beal to get some lower cost players and ride out a couple of tank seasons like Philly did.
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 242

Post#11 » by cavs4872 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 10:00 pm

hoopsfan2424 wrote:Two separate foolish team constructions around flawed overpaid point guards. Neither team played any D. Ernie doesn't learn from his mistakes.

That's a good point -- which did you like better? I don't think it's nostalgia-blinding, but imo the Arenas teams were way cooler. My memory is horrible... I barely even remember the Pierce season.
Tussin33
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#12 » by Tussin33 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 10:45 pm

If Washinton is smart, you trade your only valuable asset (beal) for a youth and picks, you tank while wall rehabs and go from there. Don't blow all your money on middle of the road starters. Run Vet minimums and D league players if u have to, build through the draft & spend money wisely or you will be back spinning your tires in the mud.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#13 » by Winsome Gerbil » Tue Apr 2, 2019 11:07 pm

There's nothing wrong with this firing, but this statement is utter nonsense of the most mealy mouthed kind:

“We did not meet our stated goals of qualifying for the playoffs this season and, despite playing with injuries to several key players, we have a culture of accountability and a responsibility of managing to positive outcomes,”

So you have a culture where your GM is "responsible" for whether your star players get hurt or not? Goooood culture. Now you can go out and hire one of those responsible GMs who prevents his players from getting hurt. :roll:
Tamimi
Junior
And1: 30

Post#14 » by Tamimi » Tue Apr 2, 2019 11:11 pm

Three cheers for that!!!! :clap: :clap:

Can somebody fire the owner too? :)
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#15 » by Rashidi » Tue Apr 2, 2019 11:22 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:Couldn't wait 5-6 games, eh?? Just seems the classy thing to do. Not that I care, really.

What's the difference? He gets his money either way.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#16 » by kenwood3333 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 11:47 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:There's nothing wrong with this firing, but this statement is utter nonsense of the most mealy mouthed kind:

“We did not meet our stated goals of qualifying for the playoffs this season and, despite playing with injuries to several key players, we have a culture of accountability and a responsibility of managing to positive outcomes,”

So you have a culture where your GM is "responsible" for whether your star players get hurt or not? Goooood culture. Now you can go out and hire one of those responsible GMs who prevents his players from getting hurt. :roll:

Their PR department is as dysfunctional as their former GM.
hoopsfan2424
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#17 » by hoopsfan2424 » Wed Apr 3, 2019 12:17 am

cavs4872 wrote:
hoopsfan2424 wrote:Two separate foolish team constructions around flawed overpaid point guards. Neither team played any D. Ernie doesn't learn from his mistakes.

That's a good point -- which did you like better? I don't think it's nostalgia-blinding, but imo the Arenas teams were way cooler. My memory is horrible... I barely even remember the Pierce season.

thanks. yeah for me it's definitely nostalgia-blinding, my favorite team was the Larry Hughes breakout season. he paired well with Gilbert that year. things were looking up that season but i think it was probably the best team they fielded, if my memory serves. plus gilbert was fun to watch offensively, more fun than wall. i've never liked wall's game. it's just ugly. that form on his jumpshot looks like a slingshot--CLANK. gilbert had a sweet stroke plus his handles in traffic were smooth. he was downright fun to watch for a stretch there. plus he had ice in his veins.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#18 » by Cookin Baskets » Wed Apr 3, 2019 12:26 am

Scott Brooks is next to go 100%!!
No question about it.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#19 » by br7knicks » Wed Apr 3, 2019 12:33 am

RipCityKJ wrote:

Melo at 24, and Tim Hardaway at 17, are close to wall at 40.

Theres always hope. But I also doubt it
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#20 » by njknicks » Wed Apr 3, 2019 1:05 am

Ernie Grunfeld tenure with the Wizards as long as LeBron James current career.

Wizards - in 16 years under Grunfeld - ZERO fifty win seasons, ZERO conference finals appearances, failed to make playoffs for 8 seasons ..... Gilbert Arenas debacle .... a salary strapped team.

Firing was long overdue but through it all - the Owner, Ted Leonsis has been loyal to Grunfeld & the coaches that were brought in. This is an ideal situation for any GM. Despite the John Wall injury ( & untradeable contract ), the roster has individual talent - but not a cohesive mix. A few tweaks could start the turnaround.

Here is to hoping the ownership makes the right move and brings a savvy GM on board to turn things around.

Return to Wiretap Discussion