Russell Westbrook Averages Triple-Double For 3rd Straight Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Russell Westbrook Averages Triple-Double For 3rd Straight Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Apr 6, 2019 6:27 am

Russell Westbrook will average a triple-double for the 3rd straight season following the Oklahoma City Thunder's 123-110 win over the Detroit Pistons.

"Just blessed, brother. I can't even -- I do what I do every single night, regardless of what anybody says, what they call it, what they say. I'm just thankful to all the teammates in this locker room, teammates over the last couple years, they made my job easy. I just try to do what I can to impact the game in every facet. I've said that every year, and I stand by it," said Westbrook.

Westbrook finished with 19 points, 15 assists, and 8 rebounds on the night. He is currently averaging 22.9 points, 10.6 assists, and 11.1 rebounds for the season.

Westbrook has also recorded 31 triple-doubles this season. 

Billy Donovan said his triple-double streak isn't receiving the attention it deserves. 

"I think the fact that he has done this three years in a row, people don't understand what has happened, in my opinion. And I'm shocked that they don't talk about it. And I know they're numbers, and I get all that stuff, but in terms of the historic part of the game, people are going to look back in time, and I think what he has done will be more appreciated later on than it is right now," said Donovan. 

Via Royce Young/ESPN

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Re: Russell Westbrook Averages Triple-Double For 3rd Straight Season 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:13 am

And no replies here so far.

Amazing! Unprecedented!
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#3 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 11:43 am

Agree with Billy Donovan here. Russ deserves a little more dap if only for the consistency of doing it 3 years ruining
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#4 » by CBS7 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 1:41 pm

I really like Russ. He's fun to watch. But I'm certain his team would be better if he just altered his play just a little bit.

He has a 21 PER and a sub .500 TS% this season. He has a higher usage than PG despite PG having a borderline MVP type season for most of the year. His stats are just so... forced, so manufactured.
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#5 » by Ben Simmons » Sat Apr 6, 2019 1:45 pm

Westbrook has completely changed the image of the triple-double.
In the past we thought it was a big deal.
Now we couldn't care less :D
itsme23
Rookie
And1: 1,064

Post#6 » by itsme23 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 3:15 pm

CBS7 wrote:I really like Russ. He's fun to watch. But I'm certain his team would be better if he just altered his play just a little bit.

He has a 21 PER and a sub .500 TS% this season. He has a higher usage than PG despite PG having a borderline MVP type season for most of the year. His stats are just so... forced, so manufactured.

Solid points.

Another issue is that OKC is not playing up to their abilities and some would say Westbrook’s style of play is a reason for that.

OKC really should be a better team with two superstar type players and a solid solid big man down the middle.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#7 » by deeps6x » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:12 pm

KD should go back to OKC and play with Russ and PG.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#8 » by likashing » Sat Apr 6, 2019 9:08 pm

Still a great feat but sort of become irrelvant nowadays when even layman fans understand stuff like pace, rebound with/without opponents around etc.

At the end of the day, your goal to have more points than the opponent. Stats are used to understand why and how to reach that goal. Traditional stats don’t that good of a job. Otherwise you would expect OKC to win more games since a triple double by itself is such a great thing. And then Westgoat *averages* a triple double game over a 82 game season.

Having said that I enjoy watching Westgoat. He’s relentless.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Heavyhitter10
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#9 » by Heavyhitter10 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 9:18 pm

Give Westbrook his due!! He and Oscar--The only two players in the history of the NBA to average a triple-double for a full season! And now three years in a row! PUT HIM IN THE HOF!
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#10 » by CBS7 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 10:41 pm

Heavyhitter10 wrote:Give Westbrook his due!! He and Oscar--The only two players in the history of the NBA to average a triple-double for a full season! And now three years in a row! PUT HIM IN THE HOF!

I mean

Even the biggest naysayers will say he's a first ballot HOF. And he would be even if he never averaged a triple double.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#11 » by dice » Sun Apr 7, 2019 1:48 am

Ben Simmons wrote:Westbrook has completely changed the image of the triple-double.
In the past we thought it was a big deal.
Now we couldn't care less :D

oscar couldn't have cared less

i wish humans had 12 fingers so we didn't have to have this conversation
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,111

Post#12 » by xAIRNESSx » Sun Apr 7, 2019 6:13 pm

We're never going to hear the name Oscar Robertson ever again.

Return to Wiretap Discussion