Suns Gave Earl Watson Two-Week Termination Notice Before Firing

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Suns Gave Earl Watson Two-Week Termination Notice Before Firing 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:44 pm

Earl Watson says the Phoenix Suns gave him a two-week termination notice during training camp before the start of the 17-18 season.

Watson was publicly fired by the Suns after their 0-3 start with losses of 48 and 42 points.

“I never addressed why I left the Suns and it wasn’t because of the record,” Watson said. “It was a rebuild and a rebuild was creating a new start and the new start was [star guard] Devin Booker.”

The timing of the move came as a surprise.

“That’s a question you have to ask ownership,” Watson said when asked about the Suns' logic of firing him after the season had just started. “I was given notice in training camp. I was going to be out for sure. I was blown away, obviously. My personal conversation with ownership was very direct and very manly and up front, but I really believe this, that it’s the best thing that happened for both parties.”

Via Ben Bolch/Los Angeles Times

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Re: Suns Gave Earl Watson Two-Week Termination Notice Before Firing 

Post#2 » by 12footrim » Mon Apr 8, 2019 1:30 pm

How dumb is this. You can't make that choice in the summer and get a guy in before training camp so you don't wreck it.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#3 » by ontnut » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:54 pm

12footrim wrote:How dumb is this. You can't make that choice in the summer and get a guy in before training camp so you don't wreck it.

Phoenix is really just that poorly run. You could say it was a tanking move, but it really could've backfired in terms of Booker's development and desire to stay in PHX past his contract.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:10 pm

The Suns have officially passed every other team as the league’s worst run franchise. Sarver is lucky he initially purchased a 60 win contender or the world would have figured out exactly how incompetent he is much sooner.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,864

Post#5 » by grumpysaddle » Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:31 pm

While Sarver is a moron, I don't believe this story. Watson has been running his mouth since getting the boot and this seems like blatant lies because his feelings were hurt that they fired him when he should have never been the coach to begin with. But also, Sarver is **** terrible.
pagal
Starter
And1: 2,078

Post#6 » by pagal » Tue Apr 9, 2019 3:34 am

can't believe this moron is banging joy taylor...such a shame.

Return to Wiretap Discussion