Kevin Durant On Joining Warriors: It Was Worth It

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kevin Durant On Joining Warriors: It Was Worth It 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Kevin Durant was recently asked if being a member of the Golden State Warriors has been all that he thought it would when he signed with the franchise in 2016.

“Of course,” Durant said.

Durant and the Warriors are attempting to win their third straight title this season.

“I came here knowing for a fact, that every media member, every fan was going to call me every name in the book for however long I was here and I was going to take the brunt of everything. I knew coming here,” Durant said. “But I wanted to be a part of this so bad, I didn’t give a f---. Same with LeBron (James). He took all of that heat, no matter what.”

Durant has been forced to improve as a player and a teammate within Golden State's system.

“I enjoy the way they played basketball. I never played with shooters like that. That moved. That were versatile players. I wanted to be a part of that,” Durant said. “My game was talking to me. Not that other s---. The spirit of the game was talking to me. Not the spotlight or the fame that comes from being the best player. Not the legacy. I swear on my life, that don’t mean nothing to me. How I build myself up in this NBA life, it doesn’t mean anything to me. I just want to play great basketball every second I’m on the court, and that was a perfect opportunity for me to do so.”

Durant has been strongly linked to signing with the New York Knicks this offseason.

“I’m from Washington, D.C. I went to Oklahoma City for eight years. Out of nowhere, I went to the Bay for three years,” Durant said. “I’ve been roaming my whole life. I never had no stable environment. Ever. Ever. Since I woke up. I sacrificed a lot of s--- to be here and to change my game up to be with these guys. And it was worth it.” 

Via Michael Lee/The Athletic

Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Re: Kevin Durant On Joining Warriors: It Was Worth It 

Post#2 » by Roddy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Next stop : Boston
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,304

Post#3 » by Bornstellar » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Dude just loves to ramble and contradict himself constantly in an effort to sound enlightened. Pretty lame
PhilippineBulls
Junior
And1: 448

Post#4 » by PhilippineBulls » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:24 pm

"Was"
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#5 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:26 pm

PhilippineBulls wrote:"Was"

Was going to say that. :D
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,516

Post#6 » by SFour » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:34 pm

Hopefully he realizes after the probable 3rd championship that he'd like to actually challenge himself by joining another team that doesn't already have 3 allstars
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#7 » by BigHustle » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:37 pm

Don’t forget about Seattle KD. And Austin.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,065

Post#8 » by NecessaryEvil » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:05 pm

If anything he just told u why he's NOT leaving
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#9 » by likashing » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:11 pm

So it means he is staying since basketball is all he cares about, right? Lol
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#10 » by Spud2nique » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Cupcake :lol:
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#11 » by NashtyNas » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Bornstellar wrote:Dude just loves to ramble and contradict himself constantly in an effort to sound enlightened. Pretty lame

Definitely the vibe I get from both him and Kyrie. Following in LeBron's foot steps but giving him no credit. Loving to hear themselves talk. Not being able to do jack on their own. Looks like these 2 are a match made in heaven.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Popsicle1228
Junior
And1: 326

Post#12 » by Popsicle1228 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:24 pm

Durant has to be the one of most bitter and least happy NBA superstars I have ever listened too.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Post#13 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Nothing to see here. Haters can now shut up again. He's saying how it is. I wouldn't want to stand around with Westbrook either.

He'll stay in the bay as he should.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:07 pm

This makes a bigger case for him to play in New York. It’s the mecca of basketball and Madison Square Garden speaks to everyone who plays there. Winning there with great basketball would be the best feeling.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#15 » by deeps6x » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:44 pm

Well I seem to have a different take on the hidden meaning of his words.

I'm hearing he wants to keep winning and wants to keep playing with good players.

i'm hearing that he is leaving after this season is done.

I don't think he is going to New York to try to rebuild a team from the ground up with (not Zion).

It kind of felt like he has more respect for LeBron than I thought he had, and kind of makes me wonder if he is thinking of becoming a Laker. Which would be bad for me, as a Raptor fan, because LBJ, KD and Kawhi together would attract every ring chaser going, and be virtually the best three star combo that could possibly be assembled next season.

But that is a worry for July, not today.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#16 » by NY2TheBay » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Owe it yourself to be where you want to be. Respect for not caring what the media and fans and even players were going to say. Its your life and youre not an object or a thing to be owned, youre one of the most down to earth players in the league bro. Kill it in the playoffs KD put a stamp on this thing, for the bay.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,065

Post#17 » by NecessaryEvil » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:02 pm

doordoor123 wrote:This makes a bigger case for him to play in New York. It’s the mecca of basketball and Madison Square Garden speaks to everyone who plays there. Winning there with great basketball would be the best feeling.

the media made up this new york nonsense

what the hell does NY have for KD to go to right now when he has literally EVERYTHING he could want in oakland?
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#18 » by Vegeta10176 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:34 am

Do not compare yourself to LBJ he joined a scrap heat 8th seed and a 35 win cavs you joined a 73 9 win championship team.. Spirirt of the game oh come on you had a 3 1 lead and lost and joined the team you lost too.. Sacrificed please you take a couple of less shots and win finals MVP by virtue of being one of the 5 best players in basketball on a team so stacked you can not be double teamed.. You have 100 of millions of dollars and more to come so don't cry about warranted critism of joining the most stacked team ever if you lift the Knicks to a championship they will completely change your legacy that you care about oh and joining the Warriors has played out as expected except for the fact that a lot of ppl won't recognize your achievement because you joined the best team in the league and just added to it..
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by Vegeta10176 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:38 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:This makes a bigger case for him to play in New York. It’s the mecca of basketball and Madison Square Garden speaks to everyone who plays there. Winning there with great basketball would be the best feeling.

the media made up this new york nonsense

what the hell does NY have for KD to go to right now when he has literally EVERYTHING he could want in oakland?

Legacy and mongel money.. 1. Bigger market 2. Legacy that does not just include joining the best team in the NBA to make the most stacked team ever.. If he win a with New York it will be worth more than the 3 wins with GSW.. In GSW if he loses its a negative in New York playoffs will be a positive to start with.. Curry may be recognized as the better player especially if he wins finals MVP this year..
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by Vegeta10176 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:45 am

NY2TheBay wrote:Owe it yourself to be where you want to be. Respect for not caring what the media and fans and even players were going to say. Its your life and youre not an object or a thing to be owned, youre one of the most down to earth players in the league bro. Kill it in the playoffs KD put a stamp on this thing, for the bay.

Are you serious right now the guy literally got caught with burner accounts he cares that much... This is more bs out of KDs mouth he had shoes made with the comments on them he cares.. He is going to New York because he cares.. He left OKC because he cares and joined GSW to jump on the bandwagon to get a ring because that was the critism he faced back then..

Return to Wiretap Discussion