Brian Windhorst On Kyrie Irving: Hell Of A Player, Strange Man

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Brian Windhorst On Kyrie Irving: Hell Of A Player, Strange Man 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:29 pm

Kyrie Irving celebrated his first playoff win with the Boston Celtics by embracing his father. Irving missed the entire 2018 NBA Playoffs.

"Kyrie is a strange dude," said Brian Windhorst on the Brian Windhorst & The Hoop Collective podcast. "They win Game 1. He played okay. He kind of took over in the second half.

"He runs over to his family after winning Game 1 in the same vein Tiger (Woods) ran over to his family after winning The Masters. He's celebrating with his dad. I'm all for it."

Windhorst compared how Irving celebrated a first round win to his reaction when the Cleveland Cavaliers won The Finals in 2016.

"He won The Finals and he was angry," said Windhorst. "He, seriously, won The Finals, his father and sister came out to hug him and he was angry. He was mad, in that moment.

"And then, when he got to the locker room, while his teammates were celebrating, he FaceTimed Kobe (Bryant). 

"This is a strange man. Hell of a player, strange man."

Windhorst added that he can see Irving re-signing with the Celtics if they go on a run in the playoffs. Windhorst was then asked by Rachel Nichols what he believes the odds are of Irving re-signing with the Celtics if they're eliminated in the second round where they will presumably play the No. 1 seed Milwaukee Bucks.

"50-50 at best, probably too high," said Windhorst. "I'm protecting myself a little bit there so I don't get aggregated."

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Re: Brian Windhorst On Kyrie Irving: Hell Of A Player, Strange Man 

Post#2 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Kyrie can’t say this, but I will. If Boston offers super max contract that’s great he will sign it. If not,if they even try to low ball the guy expect a 1yr deal with the Knicks or anywhere that guarantees he gets super max the following year. These dudes just want paper they ain’t no different from you or me. Would you pass up 5yr/180-220m when you had a history of injuries to go sign a 1yr 30m. F no.
Caese
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#3 » by Caese » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 pm

DannyAingeIsGod wrote:Kyrie can’t say this, but I will. If Boston offers super max contract that’s great he will sign it. If not,if they even try to low ball the guy expect a 1yr deal with the Knicks or anywhere that guarantees he gets super max the following year. These dudes just want paper they ain’t no different from you or me. Would you pass up 5yr/180-220m when you had a history of injuries to go sign a 1yr 30m. F no.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that 220 supermax can only be offered by the team that drafted said player.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,537

Post#4 » by bisme37 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Caese wrote:
DannyAingeIsGod wrote:Kyrie can’t say this, but I will. If Boston offers super max contract that’s great he will sign it. If not,if they even try to low ball the guy expect a 1yr deal with the Knicks or anywhere that guarantees he gets super max the following year. These dudes just want paper they ain’t no different from you or me. Would you pass up 5yr/180-220m when you had a history of injuries to go sign a 1yr 30m. F no.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that 220 supermax can only be offered by the team that drafted said player.

You're correct. Kyrie is not eligible for the supermax. Just the regular max.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#5 » by BigHustle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Did this even add anything new? Same old “if the win he stays, if they lose he gone”. Thanks Windy.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#6 » by 12footrim » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:27 pm

BigHustle wrote:Did this even add anything new? Same old “if the win he stays, if they lose he gone”. Thanks Windy.

Not celebrating after the finals win over the warriors is pretty strange. He said while all his teamates celebrated he facetimed kobe too. I listened to it, it was just a comparison of the two wins.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Wiretap Discussion