Monty Williams Agrees To Become Head Coach Of Suns

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Monty Williams Agrees To Become Head Coach Of Suns 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 3, 2019 3:43 pm

Monty Williams has agreed to a five-year deal to become head coach of the Phoenix Suns.

Williams has also been a candidate for the Los Angeles Lakers' head coaching vacancy.

Williams was fired by the New Orleans Pelicans as head coach in 2015. Williams is currently assistant coach of the Philadelphia 76ers.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Re: Monty Williams Agrees To Become Head Coach Of Suns 

Post#2 » by Years90Suns » Fri May 3, 2019 4:12 pm

What a pity, we got to sign him only for five years. I was hoping we could get him signed for 10 years...
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#3 » by Dino353 » Fri May 3, 2019 4:33 pm

I imagine the core going forward is Booker,Ayton, and Kelly. Josh Jackson’s future is questionable, I just don’t see how he fits in with the team because he’s not a shooter and needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

It’s Morant or bust in the coming draft, Garland would be a good pickup also his game is a lot like Kyrie’s. Steer away from Kemba, he’s not the playmaker they need to feed Ayton. It will be interesting to see how Monty designs a system which can feature both Booker and Ayton as a 1-2 duo a lot like the Lakers did with Shaq and Kobe.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#4 » by RipCityKJ » Fri May 3, 2019 4:44 pm

The best coach on the market might just be gone now. Monty is a great coach and person, he was an assistant for the blazers before he got the NOP job and the players loved him. Finally a good move by the Suns.
HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#5 » by HEKTOR » Fri May 3, 2019 4:59 pm

Wonder if Steven A is going to bring up race now that Monty Williams replaced Kokoskov.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,663

Post#6 » by nedleeds » Fri May 3, 2019 7:15 pm

With a record like his no wonder they had to offer 5 years (???).
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#7 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Fri May 3, 2019 10:15 pm

Congrats to Monty, tho he'd do more winning on Phillys bench than over there in Zona. It's gonna be years before the Suns get their stuff together... with or with out Monty
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#8 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Sat May 4, 2019 8:35 am

I wanted him to come to Bulls,but GarPax ........ :noway:

But GOODLUCK in Arizona Monty ,you will need it there,even with landing maybe Zion or Morant.
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#9 » by 23artest23 » Sat May 4, 2019 11:28 am

Dino353 wrote:It’s Morant or bust in the coming draft, Garland would be a good pickup also his game is a lot like Kyrie’s. Steer away from Kemba, he’s not the playmaker they need to feed Ayton. It will be interesting to see how Monty designs a system which can feature both Booker and Ayton as a 1-2 duo a lot like the Lakers did with Shaq and Kobe.

Garland a good pickup with a game like Kyrie? I suppose you must be one of the five people out there that saw his brief college career.
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#10 » by Rek » Sat May 4, 2019 5:52 pm

nedleeds wrote:With a record like his no wonder they had to offer 5 years (???).

Any head coach candidate worth their salt would demand 5 years because the Suns have been firing coaches left and right. From Monty's perspective, he has to demand 5 years guaranteed. At least he'll have a huge pile of money in the event that they continue their similar path and let him go in the next year or two.

Honestly though, I really hope he succeeds there. For the first time in several seasons they are in a position where they can actually make real improvements going forward. If Sarver can stop meddling for once and let the people he hired do their jobs, and of course, somehow add a dependable point guard, I can see things improving for them relatively quickly.

Return to Wiretap Discussion