Daryl Morey: Rockets Got Outplayed In Game 2

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Daryl Morey: Rockets Got Outplayed In Game 2 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat May 4, 2019 2:54 am

Daryl Morey admitted that the Houston Rockets got outplayed in game 2 against the Golden State Warriors, and that the game wasn't as close as the final score would indicate.

Morey did add that game 2 was well officiated.

“Game 2 was a very well officiated game, and like I said (before), they just kicked our ass. The game was actually not as close as the score. They beat us real good, and we have to respond in a much better way," said Morey.

Morey then addressed reasons as to why the Rockets offense appeared to struggle in the postseason, saying that they keep matching up against great defensive teams. 

“We’ve played five (playoff) series in the last two years, and four of the five were against basically the top defense in the league or a top three defense in the league. Utah (which held the Rockets to an offensive rating of 109.9 in a five-game, second-round matchup last season and 108.3 in their five-game, first-round series this season) and Golden State (11th in defensive rating the past two regular seasons) are extremely good defensive teams that are going to make anybody look bad," he added.

Morey then added that Warriors' "Death Lineup" will make any team look bad, the Rockets included.

“They’re putting just an unbelievable five on the floor against us to start the game – and I think maybe historically, one of the best five, if not the best five (ever) if you look at their overall net rating. People want to make it about our offense struggling against (them), but they can make anyone look bad. And they did make us look bad in Game 2 for sure.”

Via Sam Amick/The Athletic

likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Re: Daryl Morey: Rockets Got Outplayed In Game 2 

Post#2 » by likashing » Sat May 4, 2019 3:41 am

Wow Morey not blaming anything. That’s new!
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#3 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat May 4, 2019 3:48 am

Doesn't surprise me, Morey is usually pretty level headed. Truthfully, most Rox fans I encounter on RealGM are pretty reasonable, the most insufferable Warriors-haters tend to be fans of other teams. It's D'Antoni and Harden that I can't stand to hear whine.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#4 » by likashing » Sat May 4, 2019 5:25 am

Did he do a data driven analysis to conclude game 2 was a well officiated game?

I assume the officials didn’t miss their defensive fouls on rebounds which ended up KD or whoever hitting a 3 after an offensive rebound?
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#5 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat May 4, 2019 7:10 am

They did kick our ass. That is true.

In my spare time I had I didn't want to watch game 2 again. I have no interest in rewatching game 2. So yeah, we got beat. But we also lost our best player to injury, so. . . .
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#6 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat May 4, 2019 7:12 am

This message from Morey is obviously to improve the Rockets' persona. But I also hope it is a message to the coach. Goodness, they were terrible rotations. The coach really choked. I have no interest in watching Nene again unless there is an injury to Capela.

The coach got scared, and didn't want to take any risks. Sorry, but you'll need to go for risk reward against the Warriors. You'll need to throw everything you've got at them, not Nene one year before retirement.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#7 » by Spud2nique » Sat May 4, 2019 7:20 am

I bet a lotta ladies love the Morey pony show! What a stud!

Return to Wiretap Discussion