Kyrie Irving After Shooting 7-Of-22 In Game 4: 'I Should Have Shot 30'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kyrie Irving After Shooting 7-Of-22 In Game 4: 'I Should Have Shot 30' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 7, 2019 6:17 am

Kyrie Irving remained confident in his shooting ability after scoring 23 points on 7-of-22 shooting in the Boston Celtics' game 4 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks. The loss puts the Celtics down 3-1 in the series. 

Irving has shot 19-for-62 in his last 3 games.

"Who cares? I'm a basketball player. Prepare the right way. Like I said, it's a little different when your rhythm is challenged every play down. You're being picked up full court. They're doing things to test you. The expectations on me are going to be sky-high. I try to utilize their aggression against them and still put my teammates in great position while still being aggressive. I'm trying to do it all. For me, the 22 shots? I should have shot 30. I'm that great of a shooter," said Irving when asked about his shooting.

Irving added that his confidence was "unwavering."

Marcus Morris said that the Celtics' offensive woes is dictating their lack of intensity on defense.

"I'm sorry to say it, but our offense is dictating our defense. We're not making shots. We're not getting back. I feel like we've been pretty soft a little bit," said Morris.

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Re: Kyrie Irving After Shooting 7-Of-22 In Game 4: 'I Should Have Shot 30' 

Post#2 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Tue May 7, 2019 7:37 am

Kyrie is not wrong here. In fact, the math nerds will probably agree. If even half of those extra 8 shots went in he'd be at 36%... not great for sure, but who knows? They mighta all went in, too
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#3 » by Vegeta10176 » Tue May 7, 2019 8:59 am

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Kyrie is not wrong here. In fact, the math nerds will probably agree. If even half of those extra 8 shots went in he'd be at 36%... not great for sure, but who knows? They mighta all went in, too

No your thinking is wrong that is Kobe mentality even if it's a tough shot I am taking it.. Now Kobe had Shaq to clean up his mess then Gasol Bynum and Odom.. Today's defensive and offensive schemes are smarter.. Kyrie is a better shooter than Kobe but they are putting him in tough spots and no-one else draws the attention be needs to find a way to get other going.. If Jaylen is shooting 50% and Kyrie 36% who should get the next shot?.. He has to still take a fair few but he needs to use those open players even more and in doing so free up space for him.. If he was not playing PG and SG it would be easier for him like when LBJ made him more free by taking a lot of the defensive pressure of him and creating openings for others..
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#4 » by br7knicks » Tue May 7, 2019 10:29 am

Of course the Knicks would target someone with this mentality.

Back to no playoffs or good draft picks
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#5 » by F N 11 » Tue May 7, 2019 12:00 pm

br7knicks wrote:Of course the Knicks would target someone with this mentality.

Call the wambalance Bc you crying. Kyrie is already proven at the highest level and you worried about what?
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#6 » by 31to6 » Tue May 7, 2019 12:47 pm

C's fans really pumped up about this guy right now.

It's kind of like if Marbury had been lucky enough to play next to prime Jordan for a few years before the age of 25 and got really confused about everything.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#7 » by kenwood3333 » Tue May 7, 2019 12:52 pm

Him having a Kobe like cockiness and confidence is going to be great for a media hungry teams like NYK.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,445

Post#8 » by mtcan » Tue May 7, 2019 1:52 pm

F N 11 wrote:

Call the wambalance Bc you crying. Kyrie is already proven at the highest level and you worried about what?

There is an * beside his name because he did with LeBron on the same team. He hasn't proven anything else in the 2 years in Boston or the 3 years in Cleveland without LeBron.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#9 » by Donnyxc » Tue May 7, 2019 2:06 pm

Make or miss league.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,654

Post#10 » by benhillboy » Tue May 7, 2019 2:25 pm

Jalen Rose did a great job killing Kyrie on the telestrator. There is a sliding scale associated with quality of shot. So many factors: open teammates, offensive rebounding opportunity, make probability, shot clock, etc. Some of the ones Kyrie took were of 0 value and gradually chip morale from the team.

Players who make poor decisions and unbalance the floor for their team are exploited by Mike Budenholzer to no end. He makes them expend energy to make losing plays by disguising actions so well. Kyrie The Genius should know this.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,383

Post#11 » by JonFromVA » Tue May 7, 2019 2:29 pm

Kyrie: "I’m trying to do it all. For me, 22 shots, I should have shot 30."

Now imagine if Kyrie wasn't a genius ... :roll:

If anything Al Horford should have had 30 shots as he was constantly being left wide open at the 3pt line AND he willfully facilitates the offense.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,569

Post#12 » by Mak » Tue May 7, 2019 3:34 pm

We can probably put myths of playoff Kyrie away for good now... all we need to do is look at his career regular season and playoff record without Lebron.
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#13 » by Dino353 » Tue May 7, 2019 4:29 pm

The Lakers could try and sign Kyrie and Butler and trade for Davis. Lakers lineup would be crazy with

Kyrie-Butler-LeBron-Davis-Chandler(they’d have to go cheap for a center).
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#14 » by br7knicks » Tue May 7, 2019 11:49 pm

mtcan wrote:
F N 11 wrote:

There is an * beside his name because he did with LeBron on the same team. He hasn't proven anything else in the 2 years in Boston or the 3 years in Cleveland without LeBron.

Lol some Knicks "fans" will never learn.

Let him root for Kyrie, as the Knicks will continue to lose.

The rest of us will root for winning basketball.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
F N 11
RealGM

Post#15 » by F N 11 » Wed May 8, 2019 1:18 am

br7knicks wrote:
mtcan wrote:
F N 11 wrote:Call the wambalance Bc you crying. Kyrie is already proven at the highest level and you worried about what?

? People really forgot Kyrie’s performance in the Nba finals that they won huh? Can’t take away from this man. This is by far is worst stretch and at a young age this will only motivate him.
mtcan
RealGM

Post#16 » by mtcan » Wed May 8, 2019 2:44 am

F N 11 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
mtcan wrote:There is an * beside his name because he did with LeBron on the same team. He hasn't proven anything else in the 2 years in Boston or the 3 years in Cleveland without LeBron.

? People really forgot Kyrie’s performance in the Nba finals that they won huh? Can’t take away from this man. This is by far is worst stretch and at a young age this will only motivate him.

Young age??? He is 27 years old...he ain't no rook. Kyrie isn't a leader...and this past season is a huge red flag with the way he has handled talk of his impending free agency, the way he criticizes his teammates in public and his selfish play. He isn't a winner. He is nothing without Lebron.
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 548

Post#17 » by MVP1992 » Wed May 8, 2019 11:02 am

Dino353 wrote:The Lakers could try and sign Kyrie and Butler and trade for Davis. Lakers lineup would be crazy with

Kyrie-Butler-LeBron-Davis-Chandler(they’d have to go cheap for a center).

How much in salary for just those 5 players year 1, 2, 3, 4 ?
Mr. Biden shot back: “You’ve got more questions? Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t Black.”
F N 11
RealGM

Post#18 » by F N 11 » Wed May 8, 2019 12:39 pm

mtcan wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Young age??? He is 27 years old...he ain't no rook. Kyrie isn't a leader...and this past season is a huge red flag with the way he has handled talk of his impending free agency, the way he criticizes his teammates in public and his selfish play. He isn't a winner. He is nothing without Lebron.

Say everything you want. Can’t say he’s not a clutch playoff performer especially his championship season. Yeah he had a few bad games and is struggling with the bucks length. Doesn’t take away from what he has done and still known for, a clutch performer.
F N 11
RealGM

Post#19 » by F N 11 » Wed May 8, 2019 12:40 pm

mtcan wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Say everything you want. Can’t say he’s not a clutch playoff performer especially his championship season. Yeah he had a few bad games and is struggling with the bucks length. Doesn’t take away from what he has done and still known for, a clutch performer.
mtcan
RealGM

Post#20 » by mtcan » Wed May 8, 2019 1:41 pm

F N 11 wrote:
mtcan wrote:
F N 11 wrote:? People really forgot Kyrie’s performance in the Nba finals that they won huh? Can’t take away from this man. This is by far is worst stretch and at a young age this will only motivate him.

*clutch with Lebron on the same team.

He's had many chances in these playoffs to be clutch. If the Celtics lose in 5...that is also on Kyrie. He is a loser without Lebron.

Return to Wiretap Discussion