Some Within Pelicans Privately Admitted Lakers' Trade Package For Anthony Davis 'Was Pretty Attractive'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Some Within Pelicans Privately Admitted Lakers' Trade Package For Anthony Davis 'Was Pretty Attractive' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 7, 2019 12:03 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers and New Orleans Pelicans discussed a trade package leading to the trade deadline involving Anthony Davis. One of the centerpieces of the deal would have been Brandon Ingram, who has since been diagnosed with a blood clot.

"I've spoken to people within the Pelicans' organization and they admitted that package was pretty attractive, but they also admitted it looks a lot different now when considering Ingram than it did back then," said Dave McMenamin on Adrian Wojnarowski's podcast.

There is optimism within Ingram's camp that he will make a full recovery, but blood clots have been a serious issue that have forced other players to medically retire.

The Pelicans fired Dell Demps and hired David Griffin since the trade deadline.

Via Dave McMenamin/ESPN

gh123
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Re: Some Within Pelicans Privately Admitted Lakers' Trade Package For Anthony Davis 'Was Pretty Attractive' 

Post#2 » by gh123 » Tue May 7, 2019 2:03 pm

Lol, that's just Magic doing some damage control.
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Re: Some Within Pelicans Privately Admitted Lakers' Trade Package For Anthony Davis 'Was Pretty Attractive' 

Post#3 » by Dino353 » Tue May 7, 2019 2:13 pm

It is, the thing is we live in a society where people want results without patience. If the Pelicans get Lonzo Ball,Brandon Ingram, and Kyle Kuzma to go with Julius Randle and lets say they draft RJ Barrett to play shooting guard the Pelicans will be insane.

Lonzo-Barrett-Ingram-Kuzma-Randle, that would be a scary starting lineup with potential for 50-55 wins. Let the Lakers have Anthony Davis and Jrue Holiday,they’ll probably re-sign Rondo and sign DeMarcus Cousins.

Laker lineup would be:

Rondo-Holiday-LeBron-Davis-Cousins

LeBron can’t ask for much more. Or they could skip on Cousins and sign Nikola or DeAndre.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#4 » by Lalouie » Tue May 7, 2019 2:29 pm

if the trade package was everyone for davis, then yeah. but right now lonzo and ingram have lost value
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#5 » by LAKESHOW » Tue May 7, 2019 2:59 pm

New Orleans ownership was never going to do that trade. They were still angry, pissed, bitter and hurt, becase we beat the Saints. The NFL changed the Pass interference rules, they should get over it already.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Dino353
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by Dino353 » Tue May 7, 2019 3:38 pm

Lalouie wrote:if the trade package was everyone for davis, then yeah. but right now lonzo and ingram have lost value

I could see you saying Ingram lost value because of the clot issue but take into account these dudes are both below 24 and are very capable defenders and play-makers. The shooting for Lonzo will come and Ingram has already proven he can score 25+, he did it consistently alongside LeBron James.

Me personally I wouldn't move Lonzo,Ingram, or Kuzma. All 3 would better compliment LeBron than just Davis alone. What the Lakers really need is health, if Lonzo can come back and shoot the 3 at a 35-37 percent clip that instantly makes them a contender I believe so long he can hit that shot when LeBron hits him for kickout passes.
playoffs
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,953

Post#7 » by playoffs » Tue May 7, 2019 4:02 pm

And so the spin begins. Nice job, David Griffin.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#8 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Tue May 7, 2019 4:33 pm

Dino353 wrote:
Lalouie wrote:if the trade package was everyone for davis, then yeah. but right now lonzo and ingram have lost value

I could see you saying Ingram lost value because of the clot issue but take into account these dudes are both below 24 and are very capable defenders and play-makers. The shooting for Lonzo will come and Ingram has already proven he can score 25+, he did it consistently alongside LeBron James.

Me personally I wouldn't move Lonzo,Ingram, or Kuzma. All 3 would better compliment LeBron than just Davis alone. What the Lakers really need is health, if Lonzo can come back and shoot the 3 at a 35-37 percent clip that instantly makes them a contender I believe so long he can hit that shot when LeBron hits him for kickout passes.

The problem with Lonzo's shot is mechanical. He may never be able to fix his shot. It's not a simple case of practice for him and that was the knock on him before he was even drafted. Thing is- he doesn't have to become a good shooter to have a nice career. If he focuses on being a top level facilitator and maximizes his defensive ability he can be a top level starter for most teams.
LukaMagic
Senior
And1: 679

Post#9 » by LukaMagic » Tue May 7, 2019 4:43 pm

LuckyLeprechaun wrote:
Dino353 wrote:

The problem with Lonzo's shot is mechanical. He may never be able to fix his shot. It's not a simple case of practice for him and that was the knock on him before he was even drafted. Thing is- he doesn't have to become a good shooter to have a nice career. If he focuses on being a top level facilitator and maximizes his defensive ability he can be a top level starter for most teams.

Lonzo without a reliable jumpshot - what is his ceiling? Around prime-ish Rondo level? That is not really a valuable player in this day and age.. And with Lebron handling the ball, his skills are redundant. Lakers don't need playmaking from PG spot, they need defense and 3pt shooting.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#10 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Tue May 7, 2019 4:58 pm

LukaMagic wrote:
LuckyLeprechaun wrote:
Dino353 wrote:

Lonzo without a reliable jumpshot - what is his ceiling? Around prime-ish Rondo level? That is not really a valuable player in this day and age.. And with Lebron handling the ball, his skills are redundant. Lakers don't need playmaking from PG spot, they need defense and 3pt shooting.

I agree with him and LBJ being a bad fit. Lakers should absolutely trade Lonzo, but there are teams that could use him. He is still young, the game might currently be unfavorable for poor shooters, but these trends come and go faster than most people realize. Lonzo is young enough he will still be around when the next trend happens.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Tue May 7, 2019 5:37 pm

I guess it would depend on what that person thinks of both Ingram and Ball, and personally I think that trade package would have been far more attractive 1 years earlier at the 2018 trade deadline. IMO neither of those players project to be the all-stars I once expected them to be.

If you're going to trade AD, you better get at least one really strong asset in return and I don't think the Laker's package had one.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Dino353
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by Dino353 » Tue May 7, 2019 5:42 pm

The_Hater wrote:I guess it would depend on what that person thinks of both Ingram and Ball, and personally I think that trade package would have been far more attractive 1 years earlier at the 2018 trade deadline. IMO neither of those players project to be the all-stars I once expected them to be.

If you're going to trade AD, you better get at least one really strong asset in return and I don't think the Laker's package had one.

Ingram not a future all-star? He could be a top 10 player in the NBA possibly top 5 2 years from now, his field goal percentage in ISO situations was the best in the NBA at over 50 percent. Lonzo can and will be an all-star at least once in his career, these dudes aren't even 24 yet.
The_Hater

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Tue May 7, 2019 6:03 pm

Dino353 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:I guess it would depend on what that person thinks of both Ingram and Ball, and personally I think that trade package would have been far more attractive 1 years earlier at the 2018 trade deadline. IMO neither of those players project to be the all-stars I once expected them to be.

Ingram not a future all-star? He could be a top 10 player in the NBA possibly top 5 2 years from now, his field goal percentage in ISO situations was the best in the NBA at over 50 percent. Lonzo can and will be an all-star at least once in his career, these dudes aren't even 24 yet.

I guess it's good for Ingram that some people still have his ceiling this high but a huge majority of people have lowered it considerably over the past 2 seasons. Ball too. Age matters but they haven't shown nearly enough as NBA players thus far to project them this high.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#14 » by Vides990 » Tue May 7, 2019 6:17 pm

Dino353 wrote:

LOL this real life not NBA 2K. Ball will never be an allstar and I doubt Ingram either, they're both nothing more then decent role players at best.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,239

Post#15 » by levon » Tue May 7, 2019 6:20 pm

Keep the vitriol and denial coming, RGM.
The_Hater

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Tue May 7, 2019 6:24 pm

levon wrote:Keep the vitriol and denial coming, RGM.

Nobody knows what you even mean by this.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#17 » by the_process » Tue May 7, 2019 6:29 pm

Sounds like a pre-emptive strike against any backlash that the eventual AD package will get.
koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#18 » by koogiking » Tue May 7, 2019 6:33 pm

the_process wrote:Sounds like a pre-emptive strike against any backlash that the eventual AD package will get.

They're shooketh. They know they messed up lol
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,505

Post#19 » by The Laker Kid » Tue May 7, 2019 6:44 pm

What's the point of this? Let's move on already
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#20 » by Killboard » Tue May 7, 2019 7:02 pm

LuckyLeprechaun wrote: If he focuses on being a top level facilitator and maximizes his defensive ability he can be a top level starter for most teams.

For most maybe, but not for championship teams. Specially when he is a 43.7% FT career shooter.

A PG who cant shoot and cant have the ball down the stretch could be a great backup at best.

Return to Wiretap Discussion