Terry Rozier On Celtics Season: 'Different Guys Wanted To Be In The Limelight'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Terry Rozier On Celtics Season: 'Different Guys Wanted To Be In The Limelight' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 9, 2019 6:08 am

Terry Rozier reflected upon the Boston Celtics season following their game 5 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks that knocked them out of the Eastern Conference semifinals.

“I learned a lot. It’s just business was tough, it was tough, dealing with all the talent we had, different guys wanted to be in the limelight, guys in the limelight, s--- like that – it’s been a lot," said Rozier.

Rozier, who is a restricted free agent, was non-committal about his future with the team. 

He added that egos within the team made it difficult for Brad Stevens.

"I feel like we all still had that one goal. It wasn't easy on coach dealing with a lot of guys that want to be great trying to get theirs."

Via John Karalis/masslive.com

NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Re: Terry Rozier On Celtics Season: 'Different Guys Wanted To Be In The Limelight' 

Post#2 » by NY2TheBay » Thu May 9, 2019 6:31 am

Terry Rozier is a stud. He's a lion. Correct me if Im wrong but I think he eats ramen w/ hot dogs.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Re: Terry Rozier On Celtics Season: 'Different Guys Wanted To Be In The Limelight' 

Post#3 » by TimRobbins » Thu May 9, 2019 6:42 am

He's gone, along with Kyrie.
GeekFreak
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#4 » by GeekFreak » Thu May 9, 2019 7:26 am

He said exactly what we all assumed. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians don't make for a good tribe. Danny Ainge no genius.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#5 » by BigHustle » Thu May 9, 2019 11:16 am

Besides Kyrie, who else wanted the limelight? JB?
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,929

Post#6 » by F N 11 » Thu May 9, 2019 12:21 pm

People would flip this as its kyrie’s fault lol
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,726

Post#7 » by the_process » Thu May 9, 2019 12:23 pm

Rozier wants to get paid. Brown and Tatum ran the team to the ECF last year and wanted to do it again. Kyrie is Kyrie. Then you have Hayward coming back trying to get right, Marcus Smart trying to justify his contract... Stevens has always seemed to want to avoid big ego players, and this seems to be why. Great with X's and O's, maybe not so great at managing personalities.
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#8 » by Dino353 » Thu May 9, 2019 1:34 pm

If you are Danny Ainge don’t burn a bridge with Terry, the man respects Brad as the coach. Kyrie needs to go, he does not fit Brad’s system along with Tatum and Brown.

Terry is a lightening bolt on fast breaks ands sets the tempo better for the Celtics, they should offer him a 4-5 year deal in the 80-90 million dollar range and let Kyrie sign with the Knicks.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#9 » by Donnyxc » Thu May 9, 2019 2:17 pm

F N 11 wrote:People would flip this as its kyrie’s fault lol

If you define "this" as 2019, would they be wrong?
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
F N 11
RealGM

Post#10 » by F N 11 » Thu May 9, 2019 2:47 pm

Donnyxc wrote:

Hayward a big money guy and former all star was also added into the mix. But lets just blame Kyrie. A few of those young guys have all star potential. It was a hard team to manage.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#11 » by Donnyxc » Thu May 9, 2019 3:53 pm

F N 11 wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:

Hayward a big money guy and former all star was also added into the mix. But lets just blame Kyrie. A few of those young guys have all star potential. It was a hard team to manage.

I agree. It is a "make or miss" league. If you make these shots it's a completely different story.
But on the topic of Kyrie, does a good leader do this:

"With 2.9 seconds to go and the Celtics trailing the Magic by two, Stevens drew up a play in the huddle. Irving didn't like what he saw. He made his feelings known to Stevens before even coming out onto the court.

Hayward, who took the ball out of bounds, passed to an open Jayson Tatum on the baseline. Tatum's fadeaway jumper hit the far side of the rim as the buzzer sounded, and the Orlando fans celebrated a victory.

Irving, though, was only getting started.

Clearly unhappy with how the play unfolded, Irving unloaded on Al Horford and Hayward on the court. Then it continued in front of a whiteboard in the locker room."
source: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26702069/kyrie-irving-failed-leadership-tells-story-celtics-failed-season

Terry: "I feel like we all still had that one goal. It wasn't easy on coach dealing with a lot of guys that want to be great trying to get theirs."

Is he wrong?
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,899

Post#12 » by Jabroni Lames » Thu May 9, 2019 4:37 pm

It IS 100% Kyrie's fault. He wanted to be the alpha dog leading his own team and he got completely exposed. You reap what you sow.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#13 » by D21 » Thu May 9, 2019 5:01 pm

The problem with that kind of declaration is that Rozier had an On/Off Court of -1.8pts, and that this year, he was at -10.1pts, so he may not be the best, at first, for telling this kind of things

Between the other guys with a good playing time, Morris is at -5.6pts
Worst : Brown was at +9.1pts last year, and... -5.4pts with year... and Smart at +4.8pts the previous season was this year at -1.8pts

Now, it can still shows that Irving as leader is not making your team better, and certainly worst :
Last season, the leaders were Horford, Brown, Tatum, then Irving
This season, Irving was the leader with Tatum, eveybody else had lower impact than last year
F N 11
RealGM

Post#14 » by F N 11 » Thu May 9, 2019 6:11 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:

It IS 100% Kyrie's fault. He wanted to be the alpha dog leading his own team and he got completely exposed. You reap what you sow.

Yeah adding a big money guy in Hayward while having youth with "main guy" potential has nothing to do with it. Its Kyries fault...
C-Melo Man
Junior
And1: 197

Post#15 » by C-Melo Man » Thu May 9, 2019 6:29 pm

Dino353 wrote:If you are Danny Ainge don’t burn a bridge with Terry, the man respects Brad as the coach. Kyrie needs to go, he does not fit Brad’s system along with Tatum and Brown.

Terry is a lightening bolt on fast breaks ands sets the tempo better for the Celtics, they should offer him a 4-5 year deal in the 80-90 million dollar range and let Kyrie sign with the Knicks.

YIKES! Glad you're not the GM. Other than a solid playoff run last season, what has Terry Rozier done to warrant anywhere near that kind of money? He's a backup PG or third string PG (currently his role on the Celtics) until he can prove to be consistent as a starter. He has had some solid games, but he's not a good floor general, isn't an efficient enough scorer to take the kind of shots he takes, & is turnover prone. However, he's young & has potential, but anyone who gives him that kind of deal at this point won't last in his position for long. If Kyrie walks, Boston will probably go for a veteran PG who's more of a team player.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#16 » by DoItALL9 » Thu May 9, 2019 7:10 pm

C-Melo Man wrote:
Dino353 wrote:If you are Danny Ainge don’t burn a bridge with Terry, the man respects Brad as the coach. Kyrie needs to go, he does not fit Brad’s system along with Tatum and Brown.

YIKES! Glad you're not the GM. Other than a solid playoff run last season, what has Terry Rozier done to warrant anywhere near that kind of money? He's a backup PG or third string PG (currently his role on the Celtics) until he can prove to be consistent as a starter. He has had some solid games, but he's not a good floor general, isn't an efficient enough scorer to take the kind of shots he takes, & is turnover prone. However, he's young & has potential, but anyone who gives him that kind of deal at this point won't last in his position for long. If Kyrie walks, Boston will probably go for a veteran PG who's more of a team player.
George Hill?

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#17 » by Lalouie » Thu May 9, 2019 7:40 pm

everybody is to blame, but in regards to addressing what rozier said,,,,,,maybe the celt youngsters got fame too early and they are NOT ready to handle the conflict or consequences, especially tatum being the MAN and then NOT being the man. being a demi god and then not being a demi god.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#18 » by grindtime22 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:38 am

Dino353 wrote:Terry is a lightening bolt on fast breaks ands sets the tempo better for the Celtics, they should offer him a 4-5 year deal in the 80-90 million dollar range and let Kyrie sign with the Knicks.

Rozier 80-90 million :lol: :lol: :lol:

grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#19 » by grindtime22 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:40 am

C-Melo Man wrote:

Rozier has a lot of flaws, but he isn't turnover prone.

Return to Wiretap Discussion