Brett Brown Will Return As Sixers Head Coach Next Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Brett Brown Will Return As Sixers Head Coach Next Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 14, 2019 5:13 am

Brett Brown will return as the head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers for the 2019-20 season.

There was speculation surrounding Brown's future following their game 7 loss to the Raptors. Managing partner Josh Harris quickly eliminated those doubts in a lengthy meeting with Brown and Elton Brand to discuss the future of the franchise heading into the offseason.

The announcement came after Joel Embiid publicly supported Brown.

"I don't think he should have anything to worry about. He's an amazing coach, a better person, and obviously I've got a lot of love for him. If there is someone to blame, put it all on me."

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Re: Brett Brown Will Return As Sixers Head Coach Next Season 

Post#2 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:40 am

not that Philly fans were ever worried, but this should put the mindless chatter to rest. If I'm Brand and the them, I'm looking for a solid Xs and Os coach to replace Williams. Expect big things from these lads next season...
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#3 » by Aussienet3 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 am

So he should. Not a fan of the 8 man rotation in game 7 though
phenith
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#4 » by phenith » Tue May 14, 2019 12:43 pm

It's not the coach, it's the PG.

Simmons unwillingness to learn to shoot is the reason this team lost.

They had to park him in the post because that's the only place the Raptors would actually guard him. That is a MAJOR issue for your best player Embiid because he doesn't get touches where he can dominate most of his defenders AND it makes him a ball handler and shooter instead, eww...

The Simmons sag was noticeable and killed most of the offensive flow for the 76ers. If Simmons doesn't spend the summer working on his jumper, Philly is going to have the same issue next year. They would honestly be better off trying to get an actual PG and moving Ben to PF, having the ball in Bens hands with his defender sagged ~5 feet off him isn't going to get it done.

My point is recognized by Brett even as he let Butler take over primary ball handling duties (and parked Ben in the low block) and it got them to game 7, but he's not a long term solution at PG, and that kills Embiids game... maybe they should be pushing for Irving or Walker and let Harris or Butler walk.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,822

Post#5 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 14, 2019 12:57 pm

I was really hoping that Philly would fire Brown and then watch them become completely unraveled. They don't deserve any success until every asset they acquired during Tankathon and every player they acquired using assets from tankathon is gone.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#6 » by kuclas » Tue May 14, 2019 1:51 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I was really hoping that Philly would fire Brown and then watch them become completely unraveled. They don't deserve any success until every asset they acquired during Tankathon and every player they acquired using assets from tankathon is gone.

Okc did the same thing to acquire kd/Westbrook/harden.

Bulls doing the same thing now

Hawks doing the same thing.

So are the suns.

Knicks.

It’s rampant throughout the nba. The tanking
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#7 » by rzzzzz » Tue May 14, 2019 2:23 pm

Well, old Brett at least showed some improvement at the end of the season and in the playoffs. Just hope that they acquire someone who will help deploy Biid, develop Ben, and work on some late game schemes. Besides Jimmy.
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#8 » by GaaBaaBoo » Tue May 14, 2019 2:24 pm

phenith wrote:It's not the coach, it's the PG.

They had to park him in the post because that's the only place the Raptors would actually guard him. That is a MAJOR issue for your best player Embiid because he doesn't get touches where he can dominate most of his defenders AND it makes him a ball handler and shooter instead, eww...

The Simmons sag was noticeable and killed most of the offensive flow for the 76ers. If Simmons doesn't spend the summer working on his jumper, Philly is going to have the same issue next year. They would honestly be better off trying to get an actual PG and moving Ben to PF, having the ball in Bens hands with his defender sagged ~5 feet off him isn't going to get it done.

My point is recognized by Brett even as he let Butler take over primary ball handling duties (and parked Ben in the low block) and it got them to game 7, but he's not a long term solution at PG, and that kills Embiids game... maybe they should be pushing for Irving or Walker and let Harris or Butler walk.

Simmons will kindly ask you to support the other side.
phenith
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#9 » by phenith » Tue May 14, 2019 2:53 pm

GaaBaaBoo wrote:
phenith wrote:It's not the coach, it's the PG.

Simmons will kindly ask you to support the other side.

Ya, I'm down for that :)

He can be smug all he wants, doesn't change the fact he was a huge factor in bringing his team down. I was a huge Simmons believer after I saw what he did as a rookie. But even as a rookie, EVERYONE knew the next step for him to become a star was to get a jumper... but... nothing... It wasn't a surprise that his name did and continues to come up in trade rumors. He was too good, too fast, now he believes he belongs as is and seems unwilling to dedicate himself to living up to his potential and getting better.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#10 » by rzzzzz » Tue May 14, 2019 2:57 pm

kuclas wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

So are the suns.

Knicks.

Leave us not forget the Lakers who matched us pick for pick every year we tanked, and then some.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#11 » by LAKESHOW » Tue May 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Yeah, that was great offensive execution down the stretch of game 7. They call time out and run out the shot clock. Nice.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,822

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 14, 2019 4:04 pm

kuclas wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I was really hoping that Philly would fire Brown and then watch them become completely unraveled. They don't deserve any success until every asset they acquired during Tankathon and every player they acquired using assets from tankathon is gone.

So are the suns.

Knicks.

No team has tanked like Philly. 3 seasons in a row of tanking from start to finish.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#13 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue May 14, 2019 6:50 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Yeah, that was great offensive execution down the stretch of game 7. They call time out and run out the shot clock. Nice.

They controlled pace the entire series. Brown did a great job. Not his fault his players are largely inexperienced in that situation and not to mention the Raptors played amazing D on those possessions. They were flying around like wild banshees.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett

Return to Wiretap Discussion