Zion Williamson Met With Pelicans, Grizzlies In Chicago

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Zion Williamson Met With Pelicans, Grizzlies In Chicago 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Zion Williamson met with both the New Orleans Pelicans and Memphis Grizzlies while in Chicago.

Williamson had a positive meeting with the Pelicans.

Prior to the lottery, Williamson cited the Pelicans as a targeted team to begin his NBA career with.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

delsol650
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Re: Zion Williamson Met With Pelicans, Grizzlies In Chicago 

Post#2 » by delsol650 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:26 pm

Only the people with agendas in which the reason they keep peddling all these Zion to NYK and now that failed, it's Zion will use the option to force a trade or go back to duke NON-SENSE. Listening to this sports news is like listening to fake news or something. Keep throwing crap out there like it's facts and hope it comes true or if enough people listen to it, they'll start believing it's true. :lol:
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Thu May 16, 2019 7:08 pm

Like he didn't meet with any team in the lottery or would say anything negative about any team before getting drafted :nonono:
Pelicans are widely considered the worst market in the league, and so him doing something unheard of to get out of going there although highly unlikely is certainly a possibility.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#4 » by King4Day » Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 pm

Given he had a high chance of being a Pel anyway had NY or LA won the lottery, I had to think he was already prepared for this.
Makes sense that he's saying the right things.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,542

Post#5 » by dice » Thu May 16, 2019 9:21 pm

DarkHawk wrote:Given he had a high chance of being a Pel anyway had NY or LA won the lottery, I had to think he was already prepared for this.
Makes sense that he's saying the right things.

there ya go. but this idea that he was "targeting" the pelicans makes no sense. he has little control over where he ends up. the only targeting that an undrafted player does is if he wants to try and force his way onto a particular team. which is almost certain to fail in the nba
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,542

Post#6 » by dice » Thu May 16, 2019 9:59 pm

Stillwater wrote:Like he didn't meet with any team in the lottery or would say anything negative about any team before getting drafted :nonono:
Pelicans are widely considered the worst market in the league, and so him doing something unheard of to get out of going there although highly unlikely is certainly a possibility.

I dunno what's widely considered, but here are the number of TV households along w/ mean household income for the three smallest nba markets:

677k/74.5k OKC
624k/72.0k NO
623k/80.1k Memphis

so in terms of total disposable income new orleans appears to slightly trail the other two cities

https://dqydj.com/income-percentile-by-city-calculator/
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#7 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri May 17, 2019 12:18 am

delsol650 wrote:Only the people with agendas in which the reason they keep peddling all these Zion to NYK and now that failed, it's Zion will use the option to force a trade or go back to duke NON-SENSE. Listening to this sports news is like listening to fake news or something. Keep throwing crap out there like it's facts and hope it comes true or if enough people listen to it, they'll start believing it's true. :lol:

This...Right here X1,000.....It's like that movie Blankman where the low end news reporters in the basement just throw darts at different things to make up stories. Look, I definitely think that... "Pelican" might be the WORST name in all of sports....It's ten times as bad as Bobcats which was atrocious in it's own right. However, New Orleans has a great fan base when their teams are winning. One only has to watch a Saints game to know that, that city loves their sports teams. I think Zion Williamson in New Orleans is going to be awesome. They have a chance to build a great team with him and Jrue Holiday if they choose to keep him. Unfortunately I think Anthony Davis is a goner which sucks because I think he's a great fit with Williamson also. So who knows with that, but I agree with your post (I got off topic). I think the media just conjures up a lot of this nonsense. It's like throwing **** at a wall to see what sticks.
Williamson to New Orleans will not only be great for the league, but more importantly for that franchise. It's definitely not the "sexy" choice as to where people in general think he should play. I for one thought...Chicago, New York, maybe the Lakers or Phoenix...Ya know, one of these historic franchises that have fallen on hard times? Zion to one of those teams from a marketing perspective might sound better to someone like myself, but I think him in New Orleans with Jrue Holiday, Okafor, maybe Davis???....Sounds intriguing.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
delsol650 wrote:Only the people with agendas in which the reason they keep peddling all these Zion to NYK and now that failed, it's Zion will use the option to force a trade or go back to duke NON-SENSE. Listening to this sports news is like listening to fake news or something. Keep throwing crap out there like it's facts and hope it comes true or if enough people listen to it, they'll start believing it's true. :lol:

This...Right here X1,000.....It's like that movie Blankman where the low end news reporters in the basement just throw darts at different things to make up stories. Look, I definitely think that... "Pelican" might be the WORST name in all of sports....It's ten times as bad as Bobcats which was atrocious in it's own right. However, New Orleans has a great fan base when their teams are winning. One only has to watch a Saints game to know that, that city loves their sports teams. I think Zion Williamson in New Orleans is going to be awesome. They have a chance to build a great team with him and Jrue Holiday if they choose to keep him. Unfortunately I think Anthony Davis is a goner which sucks because I think he's a great fit with Williamson also. So who knows with that, but I agree with your post (I got off topic). I think the media just conjures up a lot of this nonsense. It's like throwing **** at a wall to see what sticks.
Williamson to New Orleans will not only be great for the league, but more importantly for that franchise. It's definitely not the "sexy" choice as to where people in general think he should play. I for one thought...Chicago, New York, maybe the Lakers or Phoenix...Ya know, one of these historic franchises that have fallen on hard times? Zion to one of those teams from a marketing perspective might sound better to someone like myself, but I think him in New Orleans with Jrue Holiday, Okafor, maybe Davis???....Sounds intriguing.

I think your guys' beef is not with what was said by the media but rather the way that RealGM is conveying what was said. As far as I know, nothing untrue was said by the people RealGM is aggregating (on this particular story). RealGM is intentionally spinning things to generate clicks and unfortunately's working. This site is going down hill fast. It's unfortunate!

Return to Wiretap Discussion