Bucks Can Increase Odds Of Re-Signing Giannis By Making NBA Finals Next Season

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Bucks Can Increase Odds Of Re-Signing Giannis By Making NBA Finals Next Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun May 26, 2019 6:36 am

A Milwaukee Bucks run to the NBA Finals next season could "tip the scales" in Giannis Antetokounmpo's decision to re-sign with the team, according to Malika Andrews.

Antetokounmpo qualified for the five-year, $247.3 million supermax extension this week. He will be eligible to sign the deal next summer.

That timeline could affect how the Bucks approach this offseason with several key free agents on their roster.

Khris Middleton will likely decline his player option, making him an unrestricted free agent. Brook Lopez and Nikola Mirotic are unrestricted free agents, while Malcolm Brogdon is a restricted free agent. 

The Bucks are likely to bring Middleton back next season, according to Andrews, though also signing Brogdon may put the team in the luxury tax.

Re-signing Lopez is also said to be a priority. 

Via Malika Andrews/ESPN

CJLoizzi
Sophomore
And1: 5

Re: Bucks Can Increase Odds Of Re-Signing Giannis By Making NBA Finals Next Season 

Post#2 » by CJLoizzi » Sun May 26, 2019 6:47 am

I understand what the article is trying to say but the headline sounds like a Magic Johnson tweet...
Muscles
Senior
And1: 270

Re: Bucks Can Increase Odds Of Re-Signing Giannis By Making NBA Finals Next Season 

Post#3 » by Muscles » Sun May 26, 2019 7:28 am

I cannot wait for the media to talk about Giannis like he is KD in free agency. People may finally understand the media is all about destroying franchises because its a "more interesting story".
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#4 » by Sam195 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:00 am

Muscles wrote:I cannot wait for the media to talk about Giannis like he is KD in free agency. People may finally understand the media is all about destroying franchises because its a "more interesting story".

Lol Giannis and Kawhi are different after the new cba (changes largely made over the years because of KD joining the Warriors and Carmelo strong arming the nuggets to trade him to knicks). Franchise players (drafted or acquired during their rookie contract by the same team they played their 2nd contract with) who make all-nba teams are eligible to sign the super-max contract (starting at 35% of the cap) via extension one full calendar year before they hit free agency. Add to that the supermax is the most money they can get on the market so turning it down means turning down 5 years of guaranteed money the most you can get. It is not rocket science if a player rejects it one full year in advance he is dipping so you need to trade him for the most you can get. Spurs offered Kawhi the supermax he rejected it and they traded him for the best offer they could get last season (it was still quite a discount for the raptors because kawhi barely played the season prior and delivered). Same thing now with Anthony Davis and the Pelicans he is eligible for the supermax but won't sign it. And Giannis could be in same boat if he rejects it next summer. Small market teams like San Antonio, New Orleans and Milwaukee can't afford to let superstars walk for nothing unlike bigger markets says the Lakers who lost prime Dwight Howard for nothing to Rockets in free agency and even the Heat who saw Lebron leave for nothing in 2014. Both Miami and LA are a lot more attractive then the small markets and with competent front offices can rebuild faster. Unfortunately for small market teams they don't have the resources to pay deep into the luxury tax or poach the top front offices executives. There are not enough Sam Prestis, RC Buffords and Masai Ujiris to go around the league let alone the small markets
KG_And1
Pro Prospect
And1: 151

Post#5 » by KG_And1 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:58 pm

Topic: “Bucks Can Increase Odds Of Re-Signing Giannis By Making NBA Finals Next Season”

My thoughts to this headline:
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#6 » by jlokine » Sun May 26, 2019 1:05 pm

if i were bucks, i'd throw money at klay instead of middleton..
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#7 » by Vegeta10176 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:30 pm

jlokine wrote:if i were bucks, i'd throw money at klay instead of middleton..

That's a no Brainer however Klay is not leaving GSW and defo not to Milwauke.. Middleton is a really good player who will get max while not quite being worth it.. I think this bucks roster can win if Giannis adds a jump shot and they must keep Brogdan.. Players like George Hill only keep if on reduced salary they already over paid Bledsloe
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#8 » by Killboard » Sun May 26, 2019 1:54 pm

And cripple themselves in the process. Those max above the max were designed to keep players in the teams who drafted them and prevent from leaving to big markets.

The problem is that the teams lucky to have one of those guys must win 50 games and that isn't an easy task when they are young and not surrounded properly.

I think the super max added money shouldn't count against the cap, since arent teams/owners that can decide to offer it, doesn't mean a competitive adventge, just a gesture to keep the best players in unusual markets.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#9 » by Killboard » Sun May 26, 2019 1:55 pm

And cripple themselves in the process. Those max above the max were designed to keep players in the teams who drafted them and prevent from leaving to big markets.

The problem is that the teams lucky to have one of those guys must win 50 games to not frustrate them and that isn't an easy task when they are young and not surrounded properly.

I think the super max added money shouldn't count against the cap, since arent teams/owners that can decide to offer it, doesn't mean a competitive adventge, just a gesture to keep the best players in unusual markets.
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#10 » by JimmyJammer » Sun May 26, 2019 2:34 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:
jlokine wrote:if i were bucks, i'd throw money at klay instead of middleton..

That's a no Brainer however Klay is not leaving GSW and defo not to Milwauke.. Middleton is a really good player who will get max while not quite being worth it.. I think this bucks roster can win if Giannis adds a jump shot and they must keep Brogdan.. Players like George Hill only keep if on reduced salary they already over paid Bledsloe

Keeping Brogdon will present a challenge if they are also thinking of bringing Lopez back. There are some teams, especially my own Bulls, that I expect to make him an offer that at least starts at 20 mil. I am not even sure if he is even worth it, but teams usually have to overpay to pry restricted free-agents away from their respective teams.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#11 » by Cookin Baskets » Sun May 26, 2019 3:53 pm

Really no ****, kind of too obvious it shows progression. They made a huge leap this season and I didn't see it coming. I think he is resigning regardless. This article is too early and really stupid.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#12 » by Psubs » Sun May 26, 2019 4:14 pm

Atlanta should offer Brogdon the maximum they can at 6pm on June 30, to come home and play with the Hawks.

If they do this, I can see them fighting for a playoff seed next year.

PG Trae - Brogdon
SG Brogdon - Huerter
SF #7 - Bazemore
PF Collins - Prince
C Len - #10 Bol Bol
Psubs
RealGM

Post#13 » by Psubs » Sun May 26, 2019 4:19 pm

Cookin Baskets wrote:Really no ****, kind of too obvious it shows progression. They made a huge leap this season and I didn't see it coming. I think he is resigning regardless. This article is too early and really stupid.

I thought they would be 3rd seed behind Toronto #1 and Boston #2.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#14 » by Psubs » Sun May 26, 2019 4:37 pm

Giannis is coming home to Greek Town on the Danforth. 8-)
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#15 » by Sam195 » Sun May 26, 2019 4:50 pm

Killboard wrote:And cripple themselves in the process. Those max above the max were designed to keep players in the teams who drafted them and prevent from leaving to big markets.

The problem is that the teams lucky to have one of those guys must win 50 games to not frustrate them and that isn't an easy task when they are young and not surrounded properly.

The supermax is not really an advantage unless the team the player is currently on is competitive while other competitive teams are priming to poach said player in their impending free agency (Kevin Durant OKC to GSW circumstances). You do realize the supermax (starting at 35% of the cap) is the same contract an nba player with 10 seasons of experience and bird rights can sign with their current team. CP3 basically signed the equivalent of a 4 year supermax when he re-upped with the rockets. The supermax is just a mechanism for teams to delay a superstar's impending free agency but the funny thing is that multiple players eligible for it have been traded (jimmy butler, Demarcus Cousins) by teams who didn't want to pay it to them or even the players have rejected said supermax (kawhi leonard, paul george and recently anthony davis) and requested a trade themselves. Really only two players have signed the 5 year supermax which were former MVPs Curry and Westbrook. John Wall and James Harden and likely Damian Lillard have signed the 4 year supermax because they had at least two seasons without an opt out left on their current contracts.So far only the cream of the crop superstars have gotten the supermax while John Wall's seems to be first albatross under the new rule.
Saints14
Analyst
And1: 5,391

Post#16 » by Saints14 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Oh good, are we going to talk about Giannis Antetokounmpo’s free agency status for the next 2 years now?
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#17 » by anatomicbomb » Sun May 26, 2019 5:43 pm

Psubs wrote:Giannis is coming home to Greek Town on the Danforth. 8-)

Be the gyro we need!

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#18 » by Cookin Baskets » Sun May 26, 2019 5:55 pm

Psubs wrote:
Cookin Baskets wrote:Really no ****, kind of too obvious it shows progression. They made a huge leap this season and I didn't see it coming. I think he is resigning regardless. This article is too early and really stupid.

I thought they would be 3rd seed behind Toronto #1 and Boston #2.

I didn't I was thinking 4 or 5 seed, like I said I didn't see a conference finals for the bucks before the season started. It was kind of hard to imagine because the bucks had not won a playoff series in almost 2 decades. Bucks should be extremely encouraged by the progress this season.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#19 » by jlokine » Sun May 26, 2019 9:04 pm

Psubs wrote:Atlanta should offer Brogdon the maximum they can at 6pm on June 30, to come home and play with the Hawks.

If they do this, I can see them fighting for a playoff seed next year.

PG Trae - Brogdon
SG Brogdon - Huerter
SF #7 - Bazemore
PF Collins - Prince
C Len - #10 Bol Bol

does that really look like a championship roster? looks more like a confident treadmill team that'll compete with pistons and magic for the 6-10 spots.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#20 » by Vegeta10176 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:06 am

Saints14 wrote:Oh good, are we going to talk about Giannis Antetokounmpo’s free agency status for the next 2 years now?

Why does it matter to you.. You don't have to watch the commentary etc.. This does seem made up but who cares don't read it..

Return to Wiretap Discussion