Bucks Can Increase Odds Of Re-Signing Giannis By Making NBA Finals Next Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

phenith
Sophomore
And1: 38

Re: Bucks Can Increase Odds Of Re-Signing Giannis By Making NBA Finals Next Season 

Post#21 » by phenith » Mon May 27, 2019 10:16 am

Besides the Captain Obvious headline... this is actually going to be an issue for the Bucks... all three of Mirotic, Lopez and Brogdon are nowhere near max/big money players.
They are all good players, don't get me wrong, but Mirotic and Lopez had their weaknesses exposed heavily in the playoffs while Brogdon is deceptively older than most think he is (26) because he's only been in the league 3 years... they are all quality players, but were definitely elevated playing beside someone who draws as much attention as Giannis.
Middleton at max is a tough pill to swallow as well, but I don't think the Bucks can let him walk. He is the kind of player that will look worth it a sometimes, but again, he's not a primary scorer, creator or ball handler which makes giving him the max a risky move.
All of that on top of the fact they've already extended a non-shooter in Bledsoe who struggles with his shot and consistency in his overall game and you have a team that could find itself in salary hell.
Bottom line is I think the Bucks over-achieved this year and part of the fallout will be that all their FAs will end up overpaid seeing as how many teams have money to spend this summer.
The only possible positive I see is that some of these guys may choose to take a more reasonable contract to stay with the Bucks... it seems like they are a really tight group and this is admittedly a good possibility.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Re: Bucks Can Increase Odds Of Re-Signing Giannis By Making NBA Finals Next Season 

Post#22 » by Killboard » Mon May 27, 2019 2:10 pm

Sam195 wrote:The supermax is not really an advantage unless the team the player is currently on is competitive while other competitive teams are priming to poach said player in their impending free agency (Kevin Durant OKC to GSW circumstances).

Which is exacly what I said. If the idea is to keep players with the team who drafted them, doesnt make sense to count the extra money against the cap, specially because they arent realized players at 22 YO and you most likely will have to pay upfront for potential. At least, if you can get the All NBA 5% not count against the cap it shouldn't cripple their future team success this bad.

Sam195 wrote:You do realize the supermax (starting at 35% of the cap) is the same contract an nba player with 10 seasons of experience and bird rights can sign with their current team. CP3 basically signed the equivalent of a 4 year supermax when he re-upped with the rockets.

In cases where a big market team wants to pursuit a FA HoF like Paul they should handle themselves without help of the league. You cant help small markets and big markets at the same time. IMO You choose league to be competitive to be attractive and have a more deserved king crowned.

Sam195 wrote:The supermax is just a mechanism for teams to delay a superstar's impending free agency but the funny thing is that multiple players eligible for it have been traded (jimmy butler, Demarcus Cousins) by teams who didn't want to pay it to them or even the players have rejected said supermax (kawhi leonard, paul george and recently anthony davis) and requested a trade themselves.
Which in most cases have to do with team ability (and limitations) to put a team around such huge contracts. It doesnt make sense to pay them at expense of team success if the idea is to enticing them to stay. The added bonus is nice to the player but shouldnt count against the cap.
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#23 » by bqmuzik » Mon May 27, 2019 5:04 pm

He is pretty obviously re-signing there regardless.
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#24 » by mixerball » Mon May 27, 2019 5:15 pm

giannis stood up and left press conference because of this bulls**t.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,831

Post#25 » by Johnny Bball » Mon May 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Re-signing Lopez is a priority? I'm curious... how? They are capped out and even without Hill they don't have space. Lopez is going to get paid and I just don't see how they bring him back without bird rights.

And then re-singing middleton, brogdan and mirotic with money 50 mil more than puts them about what... 160 mil or more? I just don't see most of that happening.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#26 » by GBPackers47 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:06 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Re-signing Lopez is a priority? I'm curious... how? They are capped out and even without Hill they don't have space. Lopez is going to get paid and I just don't see how they bring him back without bird rights.

And then re-singing middleton, brogdan and mirotic with money 50 mil more than puts them about what... 160 mil or more? I just don't see most of that happening.

Love the assumption that money is all these dudes care about.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,831

Post#27 » by Johnny Bball » Mon May 27, 2019 7:18 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Re-signing Lopez is a priority? I'm curious... how? They are capped out and even without Hill they don't have space. Lopez is going to get paid and I just don't see how they bring him back without bird rights.

They aren't coming back for a paycut or guys that are finally free agents the first time and rolling it through for the same when it's their payday. Especially Lopez.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#28 » by Stillwater » Mon May 27, 2019 10:47 pm

In a win or go home game 6 Giannis should never have been pulled. Coach Bud needs to go, doesn't have what it takes against the big boys.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#29 » by GBPackers47 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:59 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:

They aren't coming back for a paycut or guys that are finally free agents the first time and rolling it through for the same when it's their payday. Especially Lopez.

Brook Lopez is 31 years old and has made over 120 million from just playing. He's coming off 3 consecutive dumpster fire seasons with the Lakers and Nets (while making almost $65 million in the process), and 3 early playoff exits before that (while making almost $44 million in that time).

Hell the dude was shown visibly crying on the Lakers bench last year over losing and not playing.

I'm not saying he's signing with Milwaukee for $3 million again but to just assume the guy's number 1 priority is money is beyond cliche when he's coming off one of the most successful seasons of his career both personally and as a team.

Return to Wiretap Discussion