Lakers Front Office Staffer: Magic Johnson Used Intimidation, Bullying To Show Authority

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 296

Lakers Front Office Staffer: Magic Johnson Used Intimidation, Bullying To Show Authority 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 28, 2019 11:50 am

Magic Johnson addressed the Los Angeles Lakers' basketball operations staff shortly after he was hired as president.

Johnson expressed excitement about turning around the Lakers, but he also made it clear he didn't accept excuses or mistakes. Johnson indicated that anyone who wasn't on board with his regime and mission should leave.

Johnson pointed toward his office and said he had "a thousand" resumes sitting on his desk and he could replace any of them at any time.

"It was shocking," said one Lakers coaching staff member who was present. "If you're going to be in this business, you bring enough pressure on yourself. You don't need more pressure, especially from someone who's supposed to be an ally."

The initial meeting set the tone for how Johnson would operate throughout his tenure.

"If you questioned him on anything, his response was always a threatening tone," said a Lakers front office staffer who interacted with Johnson directly. "He used intimidation and bullying as a way of showing authority."

Via Baxter Holmes/ESPN

jrask
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,160

Re: Lakers Front Office Staffer: Magic Johnson Used Intimidation, Bullying To Show Authority 

Post#2 » by jrask » Tue May 28, 2019 12:13 pm

Fake News put out there by the Lakers
No rebounds No rings
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 533

Re: Lakers Front Office Staffer: Magic Johnson Used Intimidation, Bullying To Show Authority 

Post#3 » by TheCage4 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:18 pm

I understand the Lakers trying to save face in response to Magic's comments, however, a smear campaign of their own against him only further solidifies the perception that they are a dysfunctional organization through and through.

No FA in their right mind will go to the Lakers this summer.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -V
BigHustle
Rookie
And1: 157

Post#4 » by BigHustle » Tue May 28, 2019 12:23 pm

So the Lakers staff think they should be able to make mistakes and still keep your job? So many things wrong about this article, a complete microcosm of what is wrong in LAL. Starting with the fact that it was written to begin with.
IronFist
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#5 » by IronFist » Tue May 28, 2019 12:47 pm

I'm not sure how you bully people if you are supposedly never at work.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#6 » by Richfield » Tue May 28, 2019 12:55 pm

Crocodile tears.

This proves Magic was right.

They’re still stabbing.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,210

Post#7 » by LAKESHOW » Tue May 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Yes! And his first act was to get rid of the Drug smugglers and clean house. Thanks Magic!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,045

Post#8 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue May 28, 2019 1:35 pm

Wow, I'm surprised at the comments so far. Doesn't this describe the Magic we all know he actually is? Not that bright and everyone knows it and so he's horribly insecure. He thinks everyone is out to get him and undermine him and so he terrorizes everyone to keep the bad feels away. We all knew this is what Magic is so everyone can just stop with the faux-outrage at the article.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,253

Post#9 » by kenwood3333 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:48 pm

So Magic is a fake tough guy? Expects his staff to give no excuses but when things not going his way, he quits via social media because he is too scared to face his boss?
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#10 » by jason bourne » Tue May 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Richfield wrote:Crocodile tears.

This proves Magic was right.

They’re still stabbing.

Magic was never right. Look at his record. Kobe should kick Magic's rear-end outta tinsel town.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,594

Post#11 » by Johnny Bball » Tue May 28, 2019 2:02 pm

Good lord. Who says he doesn’t allow people any mistakes and says everyone’s replaceable? That’s the crappiest form of leadership I’ve ever heard of. Not sure you could make a worse opening speech.

Lmao at the few that think this is ok!

And he had the nerve to say there was back-stabbing going on after unnecessarily threatening the entire staff’s livelihood? Some guys are so big they never get to hear honest opinions and honest criticism about how they need to improve.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#12 » by Sam195 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:07 pm

jrask wrote:Fake News put out there by the Lakers

I know someone who works for the lakers and has been telling me this the last two years I thought he was exaggerating. He told me Magic is like the Black Trump he behaves one way on tv infront of a camera and completely different infront of Lakers personnel, his family and his friends. He told me it was a hostile work environment and many people lost their love for basket-ball while working during his tenure. I heard Pelinka was the nice guy but he has a more introverted personality and it was hard to communicate to him because people didn't want to come off as just using him as an outlet to make complaints about Magic which evidently looks like still happened.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#13 » by Richfield » Tue May 28, 2019 2:10 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:Wow, I'm surprised at the comments so far. Doesn't this describe the Magic we all know he actually is? Not that bright and everyone knows it and so he's horribly insecure. He thinks everyone is out to get him and undermine him and so he terrorizes everyone to keep the bad feels away. We all knew this is what Magic is so everyone can just stop with the faux-outrage at the article.

The resumes anecdote is really intimidating to you?

Its a boss being a boss. The fear is on you.

The Magic we all know? Nothing ive observed since I’ve started following the NBA in 1984 would I classify as intimidating.

Most here seem to agree. Maybe its just you?
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,210

Post#14 » by LAKESHOW » Tue May 28, 2019 2:15 pm

Intimidating? Bullying? Sheeiiiiiiiit. Youve shouldve seen him play! He aint got 5 rings for being nice.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,045

Post#15 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue May 28, 2019 2:16 pm

Richfield wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:Wow, I'm surprised at the comments so far. Doesn't this describe the Magic we all know he actually is? Not that bright and everyone knows it and so he's horribly insecure. He thinks everyone is out to get him and undermine him and so he terrorizes everyone to keep the bad feels away. We all knew this is what Magic is so everyone can just stop with the faux-outrage at the article.

The Magic we all know? Nothing ive observed since I’ve started following the NBA in 1984 would I classify as intimidating.

All I see is the most delusional fan base in the NBA coming to their boy's rescue.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,594

Post#16 » by Johnny Bball » Tue May 28, 2019 2:22 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Richfield wrote:

All I see is the most delusional fan base in the NBA coming to their boy's rescue.

Anyone that would say this is just a boss being a boss is someone that has never been one. You cannot lead successfully that way unless the work is so unskilled that you can just plug in new people ... and even then it’s grim.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,060

Post#17 » by The_Hater » Tue May 28, 2019 2:23 pm

Meh, one disgruntled employee looking for attention. Every single boss/company has at least a couple of those.

As it is, I don’t think Magic was in the office often enough to bully his employees.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
phenith
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#18 » by phenith » Tue May 28, 2019 2:24 pm

jrask wrote:Fake News put out there by the Lakers

This comment just furthers my initial thought on this which is that the Lakers are just a train wreck.

The Lakers need to put a gag order on their staff when it comes to talking about the PAST issues, stop trying to make excuses or placing blame, forget about Magic, and start talking about the team and the future.
It's in the past, start rehabbing your image instead of continuing to drag the franchise into this stupid back and forth, it only hurts your chances at FAs when your team is dragging up problems of the past in the media time and again.
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#19 » by Ben Simmons » Tue May 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Sam195 wrote: He told me Magic is like the Black Trump he behaves one way on tv infront of a camera and completely different infront of Lakers personnel, his family and his friends.

Trump behaves aggressively in front of cameras actually 8-) whereas Magic behaves softly in front of cameras.
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,361

Post#20 » by PerfectJab » Tue May 28, 2019 3:06 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Good lord. Who says he doesn’t allow people any mistakes and says everyone’s replaceable? That’s the crappiest form of leadership I’ve ever heard of. Not sure you could make a worse opening speech.

Lmao at the few that think this is ok!

And he had the nerve to say there was back-stabbing going on after unnecessarily threatening the entire staff’s livelihood? Some guys are so big they never get to hear honest opinions and honest criticism about how they need to improve.

I'm with you brother. They are probably still young, haven't been a exploited corporate slave long enough, or lack critical thinking skills outside of the box to know that its this type of linear thinking that allows people to be treated like bitches in the first place. It's society, or rather, the people in power that have brainwashed them into believing that there is a way of doing things, when the motive behind these 'things' is to retain said power, at the expense of their self respect.

It's the U.S. way of thinking, with some companies it's really backwards and you'd think that you were working for Mr. Slate. Of course the good companies know how important it is to hire competent managers that know how to retain the best talent. Replaceable, what an idiot, even if you think that you don't say it. How the heck are you going to get people to be loyal to you and give it there all talking like that?

Could care less about the motive behind why this was leaked, it doesn't take away from the fact that it happened.

The guy is obviously selfish.

Think about how much of a dick he is. His friend gives him a job, obviously due to their relationship yet elects to go through the media to tell her that he is quitting. If that wasn't bad enough he goes off on Stephen A talking about stuff that negatively effects the organization the same day they hire a new coach. Another dick move, why do this? Your ego? Did he ever think about how it might effect his so called 'sister'' and her company?

The man is petty and has low EQ. Based on his behavior and comments, seems to have low self esteem as well. Love how he makes it a point tell people he has a lot of businesses and doesn't need the job. That's not the point Sherlock, the point is how you aired your dirty laundry at the expense of your friend. The point is when you commit to something you keep your word if you cannot, out of RESPECT, should mitigate damage not create it.

Glad he's getting outed and unsurprisingly this story is very consistent with the rest of his recent selfish egotistical behavior.

Return to Wiretap Discussion