RJ Barrett Declining Request From Grizzlies For Private Workout

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

RJ Barrett Declining Request From Grizzlies For Private Workout 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 31, 2019 1:54 pm

The Memphis Grizzlies have been rather open with their intent to select Ja Morant at No. 2, but they have been sending mixed signals of late.

The Grizzlies have requested a private workout with RJ Barrett, but he has declined the invitation so far. Barrett could revisit the possibility over the next three weeks.

Barrett will work out for the New York Knicks, who select No. 3 overall, on June 10.

Via Jonathan Givony/ESPN

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: RJ Barrett Declining Request From Grizzlies For Private Workout 

Post#2 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:25 pm

Why not work out for them? Guess he doesn't want to play there. Sad.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#3 » by TMU » Fri May 31, 2019 2:49 pm

Why is that a lot of these clowns are so entitled? They must be too good to play for an NBA team like the Memphis Grizzlies.
scopy
General Manager
And1: 16,421

Post#4 » by scopy » Fri May 31, 2019 2:50 pm

That's not very Canadian of him.
Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#5 » by Vegeta10176 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:50 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Why not work out for them? Guess he doesn't want to play there. Sad.

I guess he would rather play on New Orleans than Memphis.. Or New York in the unlikely event they keep him.. If Knicks are try to trade up to pick 2 the Memphis may be interested in doing a deal and drafting RJ instead of Morant but since RJ won't work out for em this may not be a deal that can happen..
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#6 » by Throwback24 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:27 pm

TMU wrote:Why is that a lot of these clowns are so entitled? They must be too good to play for an NBA team like the Memphis Grizzlies.

they paid for free in college its hilarious
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Fri May 31, 2019 3:31 pm

I don’t get this at all. RJ is a good kid with solid parents, I never expected a sense of entitlement out of him.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#8 » by Killboard » Fri May 31, 2019 3:42 pm

I think this behavior is a red flag. Kid want to choose his team which I read as an ego issue which can affect other parts of his game/preparation.
pogiro
Rookie
And1: 512

Post#9 » by pogiro » Fri May 31, 2019 3:58 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Why not work out for them? Guess he doesn't want to play there. Sad.

Why is it sad that a player may have a preference on where they start their NBA careers?
Killboard
Analyst

Post#10 » by Killboard » Fri May 31, 2019 4:00 pm

pogiro wrote:

Why is it sad that a player may have a preference on where they start their NBA careers?

Probably the same issue that if a player have preference to take a shot he likes above what a coach told him to do.
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#11 » by MJallday59 » Fri May 31, 2019 5:11 pm

Killboard wrote:I think this behavior is a red flag. Kid want to choose his team which I read as an ego issue which can affect other parts of his game/preparation.

Wait..what? Lmao

1. He’s an adult who is entitled to make any career decision that he wants to. Ya know..the same way that we all do with our jobs or careers..
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,406

Post#12 » by NYKat » Fri May 31, 2019 5:36 pm

MJallday59 wrote:
Killboard wrote:I think this behavior is a red flag. Kid want to choose his team which I read as an ego issue which can affect other parts of his game/preparation.

Wait..what? Lmao

1. He’s an adult who is entitled to make any career decision that he wants to. Ya know..the same way that we all do with our jobs or careers..

I think it’s my more likely his people are influencing his decision... still he could make more money there so it’s questionable
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,896

Post#13 » by deeps6x » Fri May 31, 2019 5:36 pm

If the Grizzlies were still in Vancouver I'm sure he wouldn't be saying no to a private workout.

Move 'em back home.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Killboard
Analyst

Post#14 » by Killboard » Fri May 31, 2019 5:57 pm

MJallday59 wrote:Wait..what? Lmao

Its always good to discuss POV with people who start with a "Lmao".

It always ends up being people commited to think things with the same part of the body than they laugh.

MJallday59 wrote:1. He’s an adult who is entitled to make any career decision that he wants to. Ya know..the same way that we all do with our jobs or careers..

Obviously is his call, as would be Memphis call to pick him even without workout. And that's the whole point, he is commiting to the NBA as a whole by entering the draft, that will be his true employeer, not whatever team end up picking him.

Still it's my call to see that as a red flag for the motives above. Employers will judge me for my choices too, as for the reasoning behind it.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#15 » by likashing » Fri May 31, 2019 5:59 pm

They lied and stole the team from Canada and moved to a **** hole city.

Now a Canadian refused to even work out for them.

The Grizzlies are now the most likely team to be moved next.

Karma.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#16 » by NatiboyB » Fri May 31, 2019 6:17 pm

I guess we all know the real reason why...He doesn't gain anything by working out for the Grizz as he likely doesn't even want to go Memphis anyway and that's on top of it basically being a conclusion that the Grizz will take Morant.

The question I have is how realistic are the Knicks about trading down from 3 I think it's just rumor mongering but if they value Culver/Hunter/Reddish and can pick up an additional asset it could be smart to move down and they will also possibly save around a million on the rookie salary.
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#17 » by A BETTER DJ » Fri May 31, 2019 6:18 pm

They are not going to pick him so why risk injury going through the motions??? It's kinda like if you were looking for a job and the employer said we are not going to hire you but we'd love to waste some of your time and have you come in for an interview.
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
SpudWilkins
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#18 » by SpudWilkins » Fri May 31, 2019 6:32 pm

I don’t see how influencing where you end up is a red flag. I guess these “entitled” athletes should just shut up, play and let others manage their careers? Nah. These are the same people mad when the players their team drafted decides to leave. Get used to it. Players can are starting to have more control over their career. I say good for them.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#19 » by Killboard » Fri May 31, 2019 6:53 pm

SpudWilkins wrote:

I don’t see how influencing where you end up is a red flag. I guess these “entitled” athletes should just shut up, play and let others manage their careers? Nah. These are the same people mad when the players their team drafted decides to leave. Get used to it. Players can are starting to have more control over their career. I say good for them.

Memphis can still pick him, he hasn't control over that because is for the league interest that it remains competitive. He is going not only against Memphis, and the league, but against his coworkers who decided it was the best for all to work this way, for which I consider more of a "I'm better than this" thing than a "it's my right".
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#20 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:05 pm

pogiro wrote:

Why? Cuz F*ck em! That's why!

Seriously, these entitled little brats have been spoiled. What if all of the top 10 players refused to work out for any team?
Hell why have workouts at all? Just let the players decide what team to go to like college.
Take your spot in the NBA take your lumps, and in 4 years decide then. If you are any good, elevate your Grizzlies.

Return to Wiretap Discussion