Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles

Moderators: bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 64,070
And1: 172
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:12 am

The Golden State Warriors believe that an MRI will confirm a torn right Achilles' tendon, according to Ramona Shelburne and Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.


An MRI will take place on Tuesday.


Bob Myers confirmed that Durant suffered an Achilles' injury in an emotional press conference following the game. 

Via Ramona Shelburne & Adrian Wojnarowski

TimRobbins
General Manager
Posts: 7,661
And1: 1,940
Joined: Nov 15, 2014

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#2 » by TimRobbins » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:35 am

Wow! What happens now? Do the Warriors give him a new contract? His FA plans are shot.
BigTex
Sophomore
Posts: 170
And1: 19
Joined: Jun 21, 2017
     

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#3 » by BigTex » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:45 am

TimRobbins wrote:Wow! What happens now? Do the Warriors give him a new contract? His FA plans are shot.


If I recall correctly, Durant is in the first year if a two year contract with an opt out after year one. It was signed with the expectation he would opt out and get paid a max deal by someone. Perhaps he now doesn’t opt out of the second year, but instead let’s GS pay him $26-30M to rehab next year (and maybe play a few games at the end of the season ad playoffs). This would essentially postpone his free agency payday one year.

The other option is to opt out and see who will still pay him a max deal. Ny gut feeling is that someone would still do it, even if they don’t have him for a year if the four year contract, and run the risk that he’s not the same player when he comes back. The Knicks and Brooklyn are both candidates. Maybe the Clippers or Mavericks.

Interesting situation.
TimRobbins
General Manager
Posts: 7,661
And1: 1,940
Joined: Nov 15, 2014

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#4 » by TimRobbins » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:47 am

BigTex wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:Wow! What happens now? Do the Warriors give him a new contract? His FA plans are shot.


If I recall correctly, Durant is in the first year if a two year contract with an opt out after year one. It was signed with the expectation he would opt out and get paid a max deal by someone. Perhaps he now doesn’t opt out of the second year, but instead let’s GS pay him $26-30M to rehab next year (and maybe play a few games at the end of the season ad playoffs). This would essentially postpone his free agency payday one year.

The other option is to opt out and see who will still pay him a max deal. Ny gut feeling is that someone would still do it, even if they don’t have him for a year if the four year contract, and run the risk that he’s not the same player when he comes back. The Knicks and Brooklyn are both candidates. Maybe the Clippers or Mavericks.

Interesting situation.


I think he'll stay with the Warriors. They can offer him a 5-year deal.
Players don't really come back from this type of injury. I doubt any team will offer him the max.
Vegeta10176
Rookie
Posts: 1,089
And1: 143
Joined: Jun 27, 2018

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#5 » by Vegeta10176 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:31 am

TimRobbins wrote:Wow! What happens now? Do the Warriors give him a new contract? His FA plans are shot.


He will still get a max nearly anywhere
TimRobbins
General Manager
Posts: 7,661
And1: 1,940
Joined: Nov 15, 2014

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#6 » by TimRobbins » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:32 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:Wow! What happens now? Do the Warriors give him a new contract? His FA plans are shot.


He will still get a max nearly anywhere


That would be a terrible decision for the GM that gives him that contract.
Vegeta10176
Rookie
Posts: 1,089
And1: 143
Joined: Jun 27, 2018

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#7 » by Vegeta10176 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:33 am

TimRobbins wrote:
BigTex wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:Wow! What happens now? Do the Warriors give him a new contract? His FA plans are shot.


If I recall correctly, Durant is in the first year if a two year contract with an opt out after year one. It was signed with the expectation he would opt out and get paid a max deal by someone. Perhaps he now doesn’t opt out of the second year, but instead let’s GS pay him $26-30M to rehab next year (and maybe play a few games at the end of the season ad playoffs). This would essentially postpone his free agency payday one year.

The other option is to opt out and see who will still pay him a max deal. Ny gut feeling is that someone would still do it, even if they don’t have him for a year if the four year contract, and run the risk that he’s not the same player when he comes back. The Knicks and Brooklyn are both candidates. Maybe the Clippers or Mavericks.

Interesting situation.


I think he'll stay with the Warriors. They can offer him a 5-year deal.
Players don't really come back from this type of injury. I doubt any team will offer him the max.


Well you really don't get it do you KD will still get the max he is that good.. New York can pay him max tank for the year again no pressure for him to come back..
TimRobbins
General Manager
Posts: 7,661
And1: 1,940
Joined: Nov 15, 2014

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#8 » by TimRobbins » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:39 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:Well you really don't get it do you KD will still get the max he is that good.. New York can pay him max tank for the year again no pressure for him to come back..


That would be a really bad decision for the Knicks. Players simply don't come back from a ruptured Achilles. Durant will be different when he comes back. Probably not all-star level.
DimesandKnicks
Analyst
Posts: 3,576
And1: 2,345
Joined: Jun 11, 2009

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#9 » by DimesandKnicks » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 am

TimRobbins wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:Well you really don't get it do you KD will still get the max he is that good.. New York can pay him max tank for the year again no pressure for him to come back..


That would be a really bad decision for the Knicks. Players simply don't come back from a ruptured Achilles. Durant will be different when he comes back. Probably not all-star level.


You don't gp from arguable the greatest player in the game to "probably not all-star level", even after an achilles tear. He's still a 7""0 footer with guard handle and shooting ability. Even though he is 31, this isn't the 90s.
righterwriter wrote:Because someone named Laquanda or Dontrelle evokes an image of someone who might be a pain to work with compared to someone named Chen or Dieter. Don't like it? Blame the Laquanda's and Dontrelle's who have been tough to work with in the past.
TimRobbins
General Manager
Posts: 7,661
And1: 1,940
Joined: Nov 15, 2014

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#10 » by TimRobbins » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:03 am

DimesandKnicks wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:Well you really don't get it do you KD will still get the max he is that good.. New York can pay him max tank for the year again no pressure for him to come back..


That would be a really bad decision for the Knicks. Players simply don't come back from a ruptured Achilles. Durant will be different when he comes back. Probably not all-star level.


You don't gp from arguable the greatest player in the game to "probably not all-star level", even after an achilles tear. He's still a 7""0 footer with guard handle and shooting ability. Even though he is 31, this isn't the 90s.


How did Kobe come back from his injury? I fact, can you name a single player who was an all-star post an Achilles rupture?
GeekFreak
Sophomore
Posts: 118
And1: 29
Joined: Apr 11, 2019

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#11 » by GeekFreak » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:09 am

Well he screwed over all fans of competitive basketball, so whatever. Karma is a dish best served cold.
Bence
Sophomore
Posts: 191
And1: 27
Joined: Jan 21, 2011
Location: Budapest
     

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#12 » by Bence » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:50 am

TimRobbins wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:
That would be a really bad decision for the Knicks. Players simply don't come back from a ruptured Achilles. Durant will be different when he comes back. Probably not all-star level.


You don't gp from arguable the greatest player in the game to "probably not all-star level", even after an achilles tear. He's still a 7""0 footer with guard handle and shooting ability. Even though he is 31, this isn't the 90s.


How did Kobe come back from his injury? I fact, can you name a single player who was an all-star post an Achilles rupture?


If I’m not mistaken, Dominque Wilkins maybe. Granted it was decades ago.
TKainZero
Head Coach
Posts: 6,408
And1: 3,113
Joined: Jul 31, 2014
       

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#13 » by TKainZero » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:54 am

Really seems like KD went down with an Achilles injury originally. Someone tried to keep it quiet. Cover got blown, so he had to go out there and cover his butt legally and the organizations.

Just a crazy situation

What are the implications for his free agency now!!!
Serious injury. He could miss a chunk of the next season, and who knows how he will be post Achilles.


Just tragic
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team


Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Addemlit
Ballboy
Posts: 1
And1: 4
Joined: Jan 04, 2017
 

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#14 » by Addemlit » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 am

GeekFreak wrote:Well he screwed over all fans of competitive basketball, so whatever. Karma is a dish best served cold.


You’re a piece of **** human being, it’s just a **** game
hoopsfan2424
Sophomore
Posts: 200
And1: 108
Joined: Aug 03, 2014

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#15 » by hoopsfan2424 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:05 am

this is terrible news. however, assuming he has a torn ACL, i think that KD can return to dominance. here's why: KD is a unique basketball specimen. he's as long as a center but plays like a guard. i've been saying for years that KD should play from the post more. i know he's had success facing guys up, but i don't think it's the best version of him. his first step is unimpressive, he's not great at creating separation off the dribble. often you'll see him dribbling and dribbling in an effort to create space, then he'll pull up for a contested jumper and you wonder "he could have had that shot right off the bat without exerting himself at all." anyway my point is this: KD could be reborn as a Dirk Nowitzki-type of power forward. a guy who dominates by virtue of his gravity and fadeaway jumper. he's not as broad/strong as Dirk and probably won't ever be a great screener but he could improve in that area, and he's quicker and longer and has a higher release.

long story short: i think that KD has been dribbling too much for years and would benefit from posting up more, spotting up more, and simply shooting over the top. if his injury reduces his mobility, it could motivate him to improve in these other areas and remain a dominant force for years.
hoopsfan2424
Sophomore
Posts: 200
And1: 108
Joined: Aug 03, 2014

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#16 » by hoopsfan2424 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:17 am

TimRobbins wrote:
BigTex wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:Wow! What happens now? Do the Warriors give him a new contract? His FA plans are shot.


If I recall correctly, Durant is in the first year if a two year contract with an opt out after year one. It was signed with the expectation he would opt out and get paid a max deal by someone. Perhaps he now doesn’t opt out of the second year, but instead let’s GS pay him $26-30M to rehab next year (and maybe play a few games at the end of the season ad playoffs). This would essentially postpone his free agency payday one year.

The other option is to opt out and see who will still pay him a max deal. Ny gut feeling is that someone would still do it, even if they don’t have him for a year if the four year contract, and run the risk that he’s not the same player when he comes back. The Knicks and Brooklyn are both candidates. Maybe the Clippers or Mavericks.

Interesting situation.


I think he'll stay with the Warriors. They can offer him a 5-year deal.
Players don't really come back from this type of injury. I doubt any team will offer him the max.

doubt any team will give him the max???? hahahahaha. we're talking about KD. this guy will be able to drop 40 a game into his forties. he's 7'0'' with the highest release in the league, and guess what does not age: size and shooting ability. in fact his shooting ability is likely to improve further. as a mavs fan, i would give him the max in a second.
hoopsfan2424
Sophomore
Posts: 200
And1: 108
Joined: Aug 03, 2014

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#17 » by hoopsfan2424 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:30 am

Bence wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:
You don't gp from arguable the greatest player in the game to "probably not all-star level", even after an achilles tear. He's still a 7""0 footer with guard handle and shooting ability. Even though he is 31, this isn't the 90s.


How did Kobe come back from his injury? I fact, can you name a single player who was an all-star post an Achilles rupture?


If I’m not mistaken, Dominque Wilkins maybe. Granted it was decades ago.

i read a bunch of those "comparison articles" tonight, listing past achilles guys. that list of players isn't too relevant imo. none of them look or play like KD. kobe sort of did but the big differences are (1) KD is much bigger, (2) KD shoots threes much better, and (3) KD is several years younger than kobe was at the time of the injury. comparing guys like Wes Matthews isn't too relevant imo because KD has something unique, which is the size to shift up a position and not be undersized. so even if he loses a step, no biggie, the move to power forward was inevitable anyway, this just alters the timeline by a couple years.
Sam195
Analyst
Posts: 3,179
And1: 286
Joined: May 18, 2013

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#18 » by Sam195 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 am

OKC fans were cheering the Raptors and our boy Ibaka tonight but even they had sympathy when KD's achilles popped. Karma is a real B I T C H. Maybe KD should have thought long and hard before chasing rings and slinging mud at devoted OKC fans who just like Raptors fans worship their superstars like gods when they deliver. The only thing KD delivered was disappointment and criticism against a loyal Westbrook.
superunknown
Sophomore
Posts: 205
And1: 59
Joined: Sep 25, 2018
       

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#19 » by superunknown » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:56 am

Sam195 wrote:OKC fans were cheering the Raptors and our boy Ibaka tonight but even they had sympathy when KD's achilles popped. Karma is a real B I T C H. Maybe KD should have thought long and hard before chasing rings and slinging mud at devoted OKC fans who just like Raptors fans worship their superstars like gods when they deliver. The only thing KD delivered was disappointment and criticism against a loyal Westbrook.


karma is a bitch, like your mother.
CH Smoot
Sophomore
Posts: 152
And1: 17
Joined: Jan 10, 2017
 

Re: Warriors Believe Kevin Durant's MRI Will Confirm Torn Achilles 

Post#20 » by CH Smoot » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:19 am

Bence wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:
You don't gp from arguable the greatest player in the game to "probably not all-star level", even after an achilles tear. He's still a 7""0 footer with guard handle and shooting ability. Even though he is 31, this isn't the 90s.


How did Kobe come back from his injury? I fact, can you name a single player who was an all-star post an Achilles rupture?


If I’m not mistaken, Dominque Wilkins maybe. Granted it was decades ago.


Yep, Dominique. He finished second in scoring behind Jordan the year after tearing his Achilles, and was an All-Star twice after the injury. And he was 32 years old when he got injured! But it isn't the norm in how players bounce back. In fact, it was damn right astounding.

Return to Wiretap Discussion