Lakers Interested In Brook Lopez, DeAndre Jordan

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Lakers Interested In Brook Lopez, DeAndre Jordan 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:17 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers have interest in Brook Lopez and DeAndre Jordan in free agency.

The Lakers let Lopez walk last offseason without an offer.

"The Lakers, I think, are sniffing around (Lopez)," said Brian Windhorst. "I think the Lakers need perimeter players. I think they're going to have to use their money on perimeter players. I know DeAndre Jordan is a guy on the Lakers' radar that they're hoping they may able to get for relative cheap because he wants to be back in L.A."

The Lakers have also been linked with pursuing Nikola Vucevic

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Re: Lakers Interested In Brook Lopez, DeAndre Jordan 

Post#2 » by Chris3323 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:41 pm

Brook Lopez and McGee
or
DeAndre Jordan and McGee

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS = GO WITH DJ/MCGEE
Anthoine
Junior
And1: 35

Post#3 » by Anthoine » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Chris3323 wrote:Brook Lopez and McGee
or
DeAndre Jordan and McGee

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS = GO WITH DJ/MCGEE

Not enough floor spacing with Dj and McGee. Like you said Def wins championships. Lack of floor spacing makes it easier on the opponent to play defense.....Good example is warriors vs raptors. despite the warriors being down manned they couldn’t even run their normal def schemes because gasol and ibaka were just spacing the floor most the time allowing for easy back door cuts or giving space for kawhi to do his thing.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#4 » by RipCityKJ » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:08 pm

This is the best! The Lakers going after big men after trading for AD and only have LeBron and Luzma left, that is no GS Fab Four. If they go big with all their cap they’re going to have LeMelo Ball running the point and LaVar for a 6th man lol.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,505

Post#5 » by The Laker Kid » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:08 pm

Magic will be their point guard
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#6 » by donemilio21 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:22 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:This is the best! The Lakers going after big men after trading for AD and only have LeBron and Luzma left, that is no GS Fab Four. If they go big with all their cap they’re going to have LeMelo Ball running the point and LaVar for a 6th man lol.

I would definitely get a good Center after trading for AD, and sign him to a multi-year deal to show AD that they are committed for him not to play at Center. He probably does not want to battle with big guys 36 minutes a game.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#7 » by Temuhjan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:23 pm

I can imagine DeAndre playing next to Bron and AD, but not Lopez.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#8 » by Vegeta10176 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:24 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:This is the best! The Lakers going after big men after trading for AD and only have LeBron and Luzma left, that is no GS Fab Four. If they go big with all their cap they’re going to have LeMelo Ball running the point and LaVar for a 6th man lol.

Jr Smith Wes Matthews and Melo on vet min contracts.. Lopez mid level... Deandre 4mill Pat Beverley 6 mill.. Boban 10 mill still got 12 mill to play with..
RipCityKJ
Senior

Post#9 » by RipCityKJ » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:32 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:

Jr Smith Wes Matthews and Melo on vet min contracts.. Lopez mid level... Deandre 4mill Pat Beverley 6 mill.. Boban 10 mill still got 12 mill to play with..

Not a single player on your list other than Melo would take money that low. Lopez could get way more from an established team that didn’t ghost him in FA last season. J.R. Smith is still under contract, Wes Mathews will go for longer deal over a short one year minimum and if you think the Clips won’t toss more than 6 at Beverly and DeAndre Jordan can be had for 4 please send me some of whatever it is your smoking.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:05 am

RipCityKJ wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

Not a single player on your list other than Melo would take money that low. Lopez could get way more from an established team that didn’t ghost him in FA last season. J.R. Smith is still under contract, Wes Mathews will go for longer deal over a short one year minimum and if you think the Clips won’t toss more than 6 at Beverly and DeAndre Jordan can be had for 4 please send me some of whatever it is your smoking.

Jr Smith will get traded and waived due to his contract counting for 15 but can be reduced to 4.8mill and waived.. Wes Matthew's will not get much.. Lopez was a 3.5 mill deal this year.. Deandre has proven he is not worth big dollars.. Beverly was on 5 mill and if Clippers sign Kawhi they wont be able to sign Beverly.. So you seem to have little knowlegde yourself and Bo from the pacers is 30 on a 10 mill a year contract now...
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#11 » by Richfield » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:35 am

They should sign somebody like Zaza for cheap. An enforcer type down low who can set strong picks, pass the ball well, doesn't need touches to be effective, makes smart plays. Also, is T Chandler finished there?

Hard to imagine how they'll get Lopez or Jordan. Jordan can probably get 15-20M offer somewhere, no? Lopez may want to re-up in Milwaukee, he had a solid role and success with the team improving.

Good luck Lakers
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,554

Post#12 » by lonzo_pelota » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:24 am

if DJ takes a paycut he'll get a ring and his respect in LA back
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Post#13 » by FreeBoosie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:25 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

Jr Smith will get traded and waived due to his contract counting for 15 but can be reduced to 4.8mill and waived.. Wes Matthew's will not get much.. Lopez was a 3.5 mill deal this year.. Deandre has proven he is not worth big dollars.. Beverly was on 5 mill and if Clippers sign Kawhi they wont be able to sign Beverly.. So you seem to have little knowlegde yourself and Bo from the pacers is 30 on a 10 mill a year contract now...

Up until Wes Mathews you’re right but afterwards not so much. Lopez wasn’t nearly as good with the lakers so got only $3.5 million last year. This year he would get $7-10 from someone like Boston or Dallas. Same applies for DJ. Beverly had a very solid regular season and playoffs and isn’t that old but if he’s smart he’s probably looking for a longer deal. With teams having cap space this summer, I can see a team giving him a 3-4 year deal for $20-25.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:49 pm

FreeBoosie wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:

Up until Wes Mathews you’re right but afterwards not so much. Lopez wasn’t nearly as good with the lakers so got only $3.5 million last year. This year he would get $7-10 from someone like Boston or Dallas. Same applies for DJ. Beverly had a very solid regular season and playoffs and isn’t that old but if he’s smart he’s probably looking for a longer deal. With teams having cap space this summer, I can see a team giving him a 3-4 year deal for $20-25.

While you may be right to an extent I'd certainly think only Lopez would need to be signed no Jordan.. So ok 7 mill to Lopez.. and so your saying 7 mill a year 3 year deal to Pat ok done he tradable at that too if neccessary..
You will still have enough to sign bo from pacers and maybe one other plus a mid level remembering the vet mins of Jr Smith Wes Matthews and Melo won't effect your cap also can sign Mcgee or Chandler to a vet min as well.. I think this roster is solid.. I'd love to get Brogdon for maybe 15 skip Bo but as he's restricted that's unlikely I'd match that if Bucks easily..
RipCityKJ
Senior

Post#15 » by RipCityKJ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:19 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:
FreeBoosie wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

While you may be right to an extent I'd certainly think only Lopez would need to be signed no Jordan.. So ok 7 mill to Lopez.. and so your saying 7 mill a year 3 year deal to Pat ok done he tradable at that too if neccessary..
You will still have enough to sign bo from pacers and maybe one other plus a mid level remembering the vet mins of Jr Smith Wes Matthews and Melo won't effect your cap also can sign Mcgee or Chandler to a vet min as well.. I think this roster is solid.. I'd love to get Brogdon for maybe 15 skip Bo but as he's restricted that's unlikely I'd match that if Bucks easily..

I seriously want whatever it is you guys are smoking! If Horford is rumored to be getting 30 million a season all those players will be getting probably double what your thinking. As soon as teams start losing out on the top free agents they’ll get desperate and toss crazy amounts at lesser guys to fill in spots and not feel like complete failures this offseason (Noah, Parsons, Turner, Hill, Whiteside).

Also if I’m a FA why would I want to come to a team where if the leader doesn’t get his way I become the sacrificial lamb in a trade to make him happy? Why put myself in that situation where my career could go down the toilet and I’m traded to a team I never wanted to be a part of anyway. Look at Love, JR Smith, Clarkson, Kover, Mike Miller and many more guys that careers took a huge backseat because they had to play with LeBron.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:44 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
FreeBoosie wrote:

I seriously want whatever it is you guys are smoking! If Horford is rumored to be getting 30 million a season all those players will be getting probably double what your thinking. As soon as teams start losing out on the top free agents they’ll get desperate and toss crazy amounts at lesser guys to fill in spots and not feel like complete failures this offseason (Noah, Parsons, Turner, Hill, Whiteside).

Also if I’m a FA why would I want to come to a team where if the leader doesn’t get his way I become the sacrificial lamb in a trade to make him happy? Why put myself in that situation where my career could go down the toilet and I’m traded to a team I never wanted to be a part of anyway. Look at Love, JR Smith, Clarkson, Kover, Mike Miller and many more guys that careers took a huge backseat because they had to play with LeBron.

I concur. Other than Melo and JR, 29 other teams are interested in most of the players you're talking about. The Lakers don't get to set the market for these players and they are all worth more than you think they are. Beverly is one of the NBA's best perimeter defenders (2x all-NBA defense) and shoots 40% from 3pt. Lopez has already experience the dysfunction of the LAL and he was figuratively spit upon by the fans. Now he's found the best version of himself on one of the best rising teams in the NBA and you think he's going to walk right back to LAL? DeAndre clearly isn't worth a max deal at this point, but he can certainly do better than vet minimum. And if he ends up taking the vet minimum he'll be able to choose his team. All 30 teams would be lined up to sign him on a minimum deal.

Matthews will be in play because he really wants to start and would almost certainly get that chance in LAL. He would be a good fit as well. But the Lakers would either need to pay him more than the minimum or hope he was still around after the rest of the league was out of cap space. Once again, he would have 30 teams to choose from at that point.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by Vegeta10176 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:05 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

I concur. Other than Melo and JR, 29 other teams are interested in most of the players you're talking about. The Lakers don't get to set the market for these players and they are all worth more than you think they are. Beverly is one of the NBA's best perimeter defenders (2x all-NBA defense) and shoots 40% from 3pt. Lopez has already experience the dysfunction of the LAL and he was figuratively spit upon by the fans. Now he's found the best version of himself on one of the best rising teams in the NBA and you think he's going to walk right back to LAL? DeAndre clearly isn't worth a max deal at this point, but he can certainly do better than vet minimum. And if he ends up taking the vet minimum he'll be able to choose his team. All 30 teams would be lined up to sign him on a minimum deal.

Matthews will be in play because he really wants to start and would almost certainly get that chance in LAL. He would be a good fit as well. But the Lakers would either need to pay him more than the minimum or hope he was still around after the rest of the league was out of cap space. Once again, he would have 30 teams to choose from at that point.

Sure if teams want to overpay guys then Lakers will need to pass but you guys are smoking something if you think players won't choose LA over other destinations to play in and the chance for a title.. Love and Kyrie and Bosh and Mike Miller all have titles thanks to LeBron.. Both Bosh and Love got Max deals after LBJ left despite both being injury prone... Love missed a lot of the first play off run as well as Kyrie at the cavs or they probably have 2 rings.. Also Kyries profile shot into the stratosphere and he got way more money on a shoe deal than he otherwise would.. If you don't reckon players want to come play in LA on a championship contender making real contributions your smoking something.. If your paying more than 7 mill a year for Beverly is insane.. Paying Lopez double what he made last year and you still think he's going for 12 yeah may be on a 1 year deal.. Horford will be an outlier.. There will be some big 1 year deals signed and players overpaid but no long term overpays teams have learnt..
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:

Sure if teams want to overpay guys then Lakers will need to pass but you guys are smoking something if you think players won't choose LA over other destinations to play in and the chance for a title.. Love and Kyrie and Bosh and Mike Miller all have titles thanks to LeBron.. Both Bosh and Love got Max deals after LBJ left despite both being injury prone... Love missed a lot of the first play off run as well as Kyrie at the cavs or they probably have 2 rings.. Also Kyries profile shot into the stratosphere and he got way more money on a shoe deal than he otherwise would.. If you don't reckon players want to come play in LA on a championship contender making real contributions your smoking something.. If your paying more than 7 mill a year for Beverly is insane.. Paying Lopez double what he made last year and you still think he's going for 12 yeah may be on a 1 year deal.. Horford will be an outlier.. There will be some big 1 year deals signed and players overpaid but no long term overpays teams have learnt..

All the guys you mentioned would have gotten max deals without Lebron. And Lebron has zero titles without those guys, so who needs who? I'd say they needed each other. And all of those guys ended their time with Lebron with a foul taste in their mouths. When they win Lebron is a hero; whe they lose his teammates are trash. You may notice that several of Lebron's "garbage" teammates from last season were important contributors in the playoffs this season. Hood, Hill, Korver, Crowder... even Shump got some run! And Rose didn't see the playoffs but he balled out this past season.

No, Lebron is more of a career breaker than a career maker. Players know this and tend to look elsewhere. Besides, the LAL roster is whack. They are not championship favorites but they have championship expectations and the supporting cast will get the blame when they eventually fall short. Lebron is teflon.

Return to Wiretap Discussion